Windows 10: Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

Discus and support Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had 3x 3TB drives in a parity pool. It started to fill up so i added a fourth 3TB drive and months later one of the original 3 began to fail on me.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by samsonbiatch, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

I had 3x 3TB drives in a parity pool. It started to fill up so i added a fourth 3TB drive and months later one of the original 3 began to fail on me. Performance was slow, then slower, then it showed disconnected.

I retired the drive and added a replacement, literally the same model 3TB drive. I cannot however, get it to remove the failed physical disk and repair the pool. I even tried adding another 2TB drive i had available in case it needed the extra space (didn't make sense but i was reaching).

I get the "drive could not be removed because not all data could be reallocated. add an additional drive to this pool and reattempt this operation."

Any ideas on what i need to do? I have searched a lot and don't really seem to be getting anywhere. The only way i was able to retire the drive was through powershell. I'm assuming it's a GUI issue and perhaps i'm not approaching it correctly via powershell. Attempting to repair virtual disk didn't work.

Any help is appreciated! I really don't want to lose this data. I wasn't able to backup much before the drive failed completely.

Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool [​IMG]

:)

samsonbiatch, Feb 15, 2016

2. Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

I had 3x 3TB drives in a parity pool. It started to fill up so i added a fourth 3TB drive and months later one of the original 3 began to fail on me. Performance was slow, then slower, then it showed
    disconnected.

I retired the drive and added a replacement, literally the same model 3TB drive. I cannot however, get it to remove the failed physical disk and repair the pool. I even tried adding another 2TB drive i had
    available in case it needed the extra space (didn't make sense but i was reaching).

I get the "drive could not be removed because not all data could be reallocated. add an additional drive to this pool and reattempt this operation."

Any ideas on what i need to do? I have searched a lot and don't really seem to be getting anywhere. The only way i was able to retire the drive was through powershell. I'm assuming it's a GUI issue and perhaps
    i'm not approaching it correctly via powershell. Attempting to repair virtual disk didn't work.

Any help is appreciated! I really don't want to lose this data. I wasn't able to backup much before the drive failed completely.

samsonbiatch, Feb 15, 2016
  3. Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

Hi Samsonbiatch,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

This issue can be best answered by TechNet forum as they have experts who are trained on such issues.

Technet forums

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 15, 2016
  4. Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

still nothing.

samsonbiatch, Feb 22, 2016
  5. rlp847 Win User
    I'm having the same thing happening and it's driving me absolutely crazy. I have added new drives thinking that was it. I've tried setting up a new storage space and even a storage pool, same stuff. I am fine with losing the 12% that was on that hard drive, I just wish it would let me remove it. Basically my storage space is pointless now and I'm stuck, I can read from it, but nothing can be written to it.

Did you ever figure anything out with yours? What did you end up doing?

rlp847, Aug 8, 2017
  6. rlp847 Win User
    I realize this is old, just hoping you had some success and could help. One difference, mine will not repair using powershell, doing 'Get-StorageJob' shows it immediately suspending.

Driving. Me. Crazy.

rlp847, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

1. Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces Unable

2. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage pool failed drive: Hello everyone,I recently combined two hard drives that I own to a storage pool, one being an internal drive and the other a portable external hard drive I know silly move. The portable drive is now toasted and I've had a professional look at it with it not being saved. I...
  3. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage pool failed drive: Hello everyone,I recently combined two hard drives that I own to a storage pool, one being an internal drive and the other a portable external hard drive I know silly move. The portable drive is now toasted and I've had a professional look at it with it not being saved. I...
  4. Storage pool failed drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Storage Space - Unable to complete removal of a failed drive

Storage Space - Unable to complete removal of a failed drive: I have a storage pool that has been working since they were introduced. I have had several failed HDDs over the years and always been able to remove the drive and replace.This time, however, I have a drive that I can't force remove.I have tried several of the Powershell...
  6. How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you created a storage pool or upgraded an existing pool on your Windows 10 […] This article How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Storage Space and Space Pooling in x32Win10ProV20H2: I used to edit material on an external HDD which I would back up monthly. When that drive failed, I realised that I should have been backing up the edits between month's ends. Then I saw that Storage Spaces in Settings;Storage, promised to 'save files to 2 or more drives' and...
  8. Unable to Remove Drive from Storage Pool

Unable to Remove Drive from Storage Pool: Hello, I'm trying to remove a storage drive from a Microsoft Storage Space pool. It is the only drive in the pool and I did not set the drive up to be in a pool in the first place. Now I'm having issues with some software that is not compatible with storage spaces and...
  9. Storage Spaces: 1 of 4 HDs failed, can’t access/repair pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces: 1 of 4 HDs failed, can’t access/repair pool: I have a Storage Spaces pool with four 4Tb external USB drives, set up with two-way mirroring. One of the drives started making a loud buzzing noise and interfering with other USB devices. I shut down the system and disconnected the drive (the system will not function...
  10. Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. If you upgraded an existing pool, you'll be able to remove a drive...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to remove failed drive windows 10 storage space

2. remove a failed drive from a storage pool with powershell

3. Reconstructs failed Storage Spaces pools

4. unable to pool hard drives