Windows 10: Store updates on PC, auto or manual?

Discus and support Store updates on PC, auto or manual? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; What do people advise as best practice for the store updates? Do you recommend automatic or manual. I just switched mine onto manual because a couple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Scottyboy99, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Store updates on PC, auto or manual?

What do people advise as best practice for the store updates? Do you recommend automatic or manual. I just switched mine onto manual because a couple of native apps got screwed up on some user accounts after some auto updates that got stuck, cancelled by me and then re initiated (which got them going). I ended up having to delete affected user accounts and recreate them to get the apps going again.

the only thing with manual is it once bodged the store for my own account, I manually checked for updates and a store one was available which I downloaded. Store shut itself down and when I tried to re open it nothing launched. So that's made me wary of this method too. I managed to use a system restore point successfully to get things back to where they were. Flicked auto back on and the store update must of gone through silently in background with success.

so both methods have burned my fingers. But I'd be curious as to what most people on here opt for / recommend , auto or manual?

:)

Scottyboy99, Feb 9, 2016
  2. srd2YO Win User

auto updating

should i auto update the apps in the store?will it slow down my pc? is it ok if i put the auto updation on or off?

srd2YO, Feb 9, 2016
  3. Windows Store password saving

Yes its a microsoft account only used for store and mail, the pc runs with a local account. The Problem ist the auto sign in. I dont want to auto sign in. The Store has to ask for a password on sign in and dont has to store it. There is no possibility
    at the moment to change this, the store always saves the password and the only way to delete it is with wsreset.exe. Its a security issue. For example: i sign in to buy something on the store, sign out and go away from the pc, now everyone with access to
    the pc, like a child, can sign in with no hassle because the password is stored and can buy and do whatever he or she wants. Not acceptable.

KarlNadler, Feb 9, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Store updates on PC, auto or manual?

Hello,

I use automatic updates and so far have never had a problem. However, my set up is quite simple with no other users on the PC and mine being a MS account.

Cheers,
    Phil

philc43, Feb 9, 2016
  5. Thanks Phil. I think having other users as I have (a mix of administrator, standard + child account - all MS accounts) does complicate things. I guess it opens up more possibility for corruption or an app breaking. The native built in apps are definitely the most prone. I will keep it on manual for now but am still interested how others are setup.

Scottyboy99, Feb 9, 2016
  6. Actually I did not even know about this setting, since I do not use store. I changed it to manual now. I like to have Base Filtering/Windows Firewall services disabled, then apps fail to update, but keep trying, which causes some lagging, so I kept at automatic previously and I also had to have those services running. So, thank you for asking. *Wink

TairikuOkami, Feb 10, 2016
  7. I have mine on automatic, just let it update apps on its own in the background

Occasionally run a manual check if I know an app update has just come out

paulsalter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Store updates on PC, auto or manual?

1. Store updates on PC, auto or manual? - Similar Threads - Store updates auto

2. Can we get a full auto mode for manual updates on demand?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can we get a full auto mode for manual updates on demand?: I don't want my dadgum system downloading updates when I'm in the middle of working on my taxes which it did a few years ago. That's why I lie to it and tell it I'm on a metered connection so I can go make lunch and not come back to a system in the middle of a two hour...
  3. Can we get a full auto mode for manual updates on demand?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can we get a full auto mode for manual updates on demand?: I don't want my dadgum system downloading updates when I'm in the middle of working on my taxes which it did a few years ago. That's why I lie to it and tell it I'm on a metered connection so I can go make lunch and not come back to a system in the middle of a two hour...
  4. Auto updates in windows store are turned off, but they still auto update, and pretty...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto updates in windows store are turned off, but they still auto update, and pretty...: So since game pass allows mods for games now I have a mod for a game which is the only reason I play it in the first place (adds 20x more content). However, this mod requires version 1.2 and the current version is 1.4. Do I seriously have to completely delete my game and...
  5. Microsoft Store Auto-Updates Not Working

Microsoft Store Auto-Updates Not Working: All three of my kids have identical Asus gaming laptops. One of the laptops refuses to do auto-updates from the Microsoft Store for all the installed games and apps. The other two laptops auto-update just fine. All three are configured identically, but the one refuses to...
  6. Microsoft Store not auto updating apps

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store not auto updating apps: This is a bit of an odd one. Microsoft Store on my PC hasn't auto updated any apps or games since around some time in April. This includes built-in apps as well as 3rd party apps. Clicking Get Updates in the Store finds no new app updates either. However, if I manually...
  7. Microsoft Store not auto updating apps

Microsoft Store not auto updating apps: This is a bit of an odd one. Microsoft Store on my PC hasn't auto updated any apps or games since around some time in April. This includes built-in apps as well as 3rd party apps. Clicking Get Updates in the Store finds no new app updates either. However, if I manually...
  8. Possible to disable Windows10 auto-updates, and opt for manual?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Possible to disable Windows10 auto-updates, and opt for manual?: The major WIn10 updates - 'creator' update, 'fall update', 'spring update' - those ones. Is there an option to manually decide to postpone them, or skip til next one? Thanks....
  9. make dvd auto-run / manual run in my w10 pc.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    make dvd auto-run / manual run in my w10 pc.: Hello I wanted to run a dvd today but it will not run at all in my Windows Media Player.. I then tried the CyberLink DVD suite and that also wouldn't auto run but I could get it to run from a manual start. What do I need to do to make WMP work please. Also the dvd has a...
  10. Windows store app auto updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows store app auto updates: Is anyone else finding the store nothing short of hopeless with regard auto app updates. The process works because some apps do update. But the amount of times they also get stuck is ridiculous. I'll often go into the store on my PC and sometimes manually do a check for...