Windows 10: Strange and cluttered File Explorer left pane

Discus and support Strange and cluttered File Explorer left pane in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is something that's been bothering me since I upgraded this Dell XPS8700 to windows 10 some two weeks or more ago. The left pane in File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by uniquewon, Feb 1, 2016.

1. uniquewon Win User

Strange and cluttered File Explorer left pane

This is something that's been bothering me since I upgraded this Dell XPS8700 to windows 10 some two weeks or more ago.

The left pane in File Explorer seems to duplicate my drive letters and info other than what's under the entry "This PC".

If I look down the list, starting just below the Libraries folder, the drive letters are repeated but not all of them.

Like I have under This PC : C: , DVDRW D:, E:, F: , a card reader, H,L,K, external drives L:, another card reader letter M:, a second external drive N:, followed by some NAS folders I have mapped, V, W, X. and Y.

Down past the Libraries folder are again: H, L, N, M, K, and I, then Network etc, Homegroup etc.

Hard to describe, I could do a screen shot and post it if that would help see it.

How and why are all these drive letters getting into this tree twice? Anyone?

TIA - Gene

:)

uniquewon, Feb 1, 2016
  2. Phil Saul Win User

Can't view the sub folders through Navigation Pane

Original title:- File Explorer, Windows 10

In W10, the subfolders in the Navigation Pane don't show when you open a folder from the Navigation Pane like they did in W7. So to move a file or folder to a different location or subfolder, one has to go back to the Navigation Pane and click on the arrows
    to open down to the desired subfolder. It does prevent cluttering of the Nav Pane, but requires a lot of work if the desired folder is deeply embedded.

Phil

Phil Saul, Feb 1, 2016
  3. DonJ52 Win User
    Windows 10 File Explore

If I put the Explorer icon on the task bar, click it to open explorer, then when I Right click on a file or folder that is in the Left pane, Explorer closes.....all the time. It does the same thing if I right click the Start icon, then click on File Explorer.

If I open Fire Explorer by clicking the Start menu, Under Windows System and click File Explore, then when I Right click a file or folder in the Left pane, Explorer DOES NOT CLOSE most of the time.

Any help? Either way, File Explorer should not close like that. This never happens if I click anything in the right pane.

DonJ52, Feb 1, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Feb 1, 2016
  5. uniquewon Win User
    Thanks very much, wow - Have to really jump through some hoops to do this. What's with Win 10 doing this, it just causes a mess and confusion, never ceases to amaze me how MS and even Apple can do this kind of crap and think it's cool...

Gene

uniquewon, Feb 1, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Yes, I know. Microsoft thinks it knows best for us but conveniently forgets we might not agree with their view! Apparently some people prefer explorer this way because they do not have the "This PC" section open in the navigation pane.

philc43, Feb 1, 2016
  7. uniquewon Win User
    I appreciate the input and now my left pane in Explorer is NO LONGER cluttered...thanks much,

Gene

uniquewon, Feb 3, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

However you can reasonably expect the problem to recur. It's an explorer-related bug.
    That's what happens on my brand new clean install on my custom laptop.

By comparison, if I use XYplorer (file manager) - no such problem.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange and cluttered File Explorer left pane - Similar Threads - Strange cluttered File

2. Wrong division on the Libraries in the File Explorer left Pane - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong division on the Libraries in the File Explorer left Pane - Windows 11: Hello, I'm using Windows 11. A few weeks ago, I noticed these gray lines on the left pane of the File Explorer, specifically on the Libraries section. I'm not sure why this is happening. It doesn't matter if the theme is light or dark; I face the same issue. Regards....
  3. File Explorer expand selected folder in left pane

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer expand selected folder in left pane: I want the left pane folder to open and show subfolders when I click on the filename, instead of having to click the little carat to the left of the folder to get this to happen. Windows 10 version 20H2. 181372
  4. Change the order of folder left pane file explorer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change the order of folder left pane file explorer.: Is there a way i can sort these network folders? so they're grouped? Instead of all over? https://i.imgur.com/qQrgusR.png (not by changing name ;)) submitted by /u/x3nius [link] [comments]...
  5. Blur when scrolling down on the left pane in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blur when scrolling down on the left pane in File Explorer: I get this graphics glitch when scrolling down on the left pane in File Explorer in Windows 10. Is there a way to fix this, it seems a bit strange? [img] 168961
  6. File explorer left pane machine details disappear ...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer left pane machine details disappear ...: Looks like a bug has been introduced with the latest update which I took on 11th August with the File Explorer left pane. The various machine details disappear once you go down a level and remain disappeared when you go back. It's the same with Home or Pro. Don't tell me,...
  7. Pin RDP to File Explorer's navigation pane on its left.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin RDP to File Explorer's navigation pane on its left.: Is it possible to pin a running (if that's the right term) Windows RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) to File Explorer's navigation pane on its left....
  8. Auto expand explorer LEFT pane window

Auto expand explorer LEFT pane window: Hello! Is there a way to have windows explorer auto expand the folder your in on the LEFT pane as well as the right? Thank you! Nancy 131903
  9. No disks showed on left pane of explorer

No disks showed on left pane of explorer: I dont understand because in left pane..look my image [img] i see only disk E (why E and not others ) and not others disks like D, G etc.. i try to make a shortcut from right to left but nothing..why this ? Its possible see all my disk on left pane of explorer ??...
  10. Windows explorer left pane displayed with delay

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows explorer left pane displayed with delay: Hi Experts *Smile After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, once I'm opening the Windows Explorer the left pane display it's content with delay. This is also happening when I try to save something and browsing to were to save, folders displayed with delay. See the...