Windows 10: Strange Boot Failure - Why?

Discus and support Strange Boot Failure - Why? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My desktop PC (Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H) failed to boot yesterday. There was no video output nor an error beep although the power on LED was lit. Power to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Steve C, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Strange Boot Failure - Why?

My desktop PC (Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H) failed to boot yesterday. There was no video output nor an error beep although the power on LED was lit. Power to the motherboard was good but the boot hung with error code d6 which is No Console Output Devices are Found.

I removed the Sapphire GPU to try the onboard Intel GPU and had the same error. I then removed the CMOS battery which showed 3V and replaced it with a new one showing 3.2V. This would also set the BIOS to default values. The PC then booted so I loaded the BIOS defaults then reset my BIOS settings. All is now fine.

I'm mystified why this happened - any ideas? Did the low CMOS battery voltage corrupt the BIOS data in some way (but a dud battery usually just results in the date/time being reset)?

:)

Steve C, Nov 24, 2017
  2. chaser711 Win User

critical process died win 10 reboot loop

Safe mode works:

clean boot does not. (seems to be an issue within win 10)

Have watched usage on task manager before failure. nothing unusual. no extra programs pop up.

when computer is in sleep mode and has nothing running. As soon as I start it up, it fails and reboots. Again, usage is not an issue.

The strange thing is the timing: exactly 60 mins from boot comes the failure and a reboot. The message states that it is collecting data about the failure. where is it and what am I looking for?

thanks,

chaser711, Nov 24, 2017
  3. "installation of Windows Phone is not supported on server operating systems"

I'm installing on Vista SP2 32bit. Strange failure. Any fix?

DennisMcAllister, Nov 24, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

It's most likely you had some BIOS/UEFI corruption and by removing battery it was back to defaults. Battery should be good to about 2.9v but clock itself may work at even lower voltage. To keep other settings takes higher voltage.

CountMike, Nov 24, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    What would cause a BIOS corruption? Perhaps a spike on the power line or a cosmic ray?

Steve C, Nov 24, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Or UEFI partition.

CountMike, Nov 24, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    Please explain. The boot failed mid way through the boot process well before any attempt was made to load Windows.

Steve C, Nov 24, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

BIOS still looks for an UEFI partition if set to CSM Auto and not Legacy mode.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange Boot Failure - Why? - Similar Threads - Strange Boot Failure

2. Boot failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot failure: Hello Microsoft communityI have been facing issues with the startup, it doesn’t start upLaptop: Alienware 17 R5 i7 1. It’s also not going into auto repair modeI have added screenshotsPlease help in fixing this issuesThanks...
  3. Booting failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting failure: My PC was booting and brings black with curser and i gave someone to fix for me but he changed active partition and other things which i'm not familiar with and now it wont boot and it only opens into boot menu Please can you me to get solution also if the solution will need...
  4. Boot Failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot Failure: Hi i have been having a boot failure at startup and a message saying to install disk to repair the problem. but i lost my installation disk a while back . I think i had ordered a copy of my instillation disk but i cant remember where it was from. If anyone can offer some...
  5. Strange boot loops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange boot loops: Hey guys, I'm at a total loss with this system now and I have no clue why it's boot looping. The system is a Asus Maximus VII Hero with a i7-4790k. System was perfect for 4 years, still going strong it seems besides this issue. I can't remember the first time this happened...
  6. Boot failure

Boot failure: Windows 10. After overnight shutdown PC won't boot. Monitor blank. No POST. After several minutes switch off and try again. Boot success on second or third attempt. Event viewer shows "unexpected shutdown"...
  7. Boot failure

Boot failure: I noticed that some viruses and trojans had infected my Windows 10 pro desktop. Therefore I tried uninstalling those trojans from control panel>uninstall a program. After that when I rebooted my desktop, the windows boot screen appeared and after that instead of taking me to...
  8. Strange boot problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange boot problem: I normally run my pc with two Samsung SSD drives, a 256gb 850EVO boot drive, and a 1tb 840EVO slave drive. Every so often I image one to the other using the Samsung cloning software. I now wanted to use the 1TB elsewhere so simply removed it. After doing so my PC now boots...
  9. Strange Boot Up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange Boot Up: So I have 2 Win10 systems that I just built and installed. I believe all my settings are the same, I mean I went down the list one by one. Both systems have the same mobo, same CPU, just all the same. Not a critical issue, but something I notice and just not sure. When I...
  10. strange boot issue

in Windows 10 Support
    strange boot issue: A friend asked me to look at his daughters computer that wouldn't turn on. There was an error saying Windows restarted unexpectedly. I looked online and found the fix. I pressed Shift-F10, got into regedit and changed HKLM/System/Setup/ChildCompletion to 3. What would case...