Windows 10: strange boot issue

Discus and support strange boot issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A friend asked me to look at his daughters computer that wouldn't turn on. There was an error saying Windows restarted unexpectedly. I looked online... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HarryD, Mar 25, 2017.

1. HarryD Win User

strange boot issue

A friend asked me to look at his daughters computer that wouldn't turn on. There was an error saying Windows restarted unexpectedly. I looked online and found the fix. I pressed Shift-F10, got into regedit and changed HKLM/System/Setup/ChildCompletion to 3.

What would case this? I'm thinking somebody shut the computer off during an update or there was a power outage.

:)

HarryD, Mar 25, 2017
  2. ShaneM88 Win User

Windows Shortcut Keys

Hello,

This issue is strange, when the computer boots up (for the first time or after a reboot) the win+r shortcut does function as it is supposed to. But then every attempt of pressing the win+r keys after that does not work at all until either the next boot (cold
    or warm).

Any ideas?

Shane

ShaneM88, Mar 25, 2017
  3. Minecraft, strange issue

I thought it would be a good idea to set my kids up with individual microsoft accounts so that we can all play together cross platform.

What a mistake that was! now no one can play with anyone because of the following errors.

"You cannot add friends because of how your XBOX LIVE account is set up. This can be changed in your 'Privacy and online safety settings' on XBOX.COM"

and

"You cannot play online multiplayer because of how your XBOX LIVE account is set up. This can be changed in your 'Privacy and online safety settings' on XBOX.COM"

I have followed every piece of help I can find online and nothing is working. Also when I log in to my Xbox live account I can only see one out of 3 children on the page where you can change their permissions.

Please help,

NoiseKraft, Mar 25, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

strange boot issue

Looking online, the only cause for this error that requires this fix seems to be a failure while running Sysprep, something you friend or his daughter shouldn't really be doing. Maybe someone suggested it may be 'a good thing to try' and they are too ashamed to admit it?

Sysprep win7 install error Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums
    TechNet: What is Sysprep?

5. HarryD Win User
    He said that it was working fine one day and they went to use the computer and it wouldn't turn on.

This is the same computer that I fixed late last year that wouldn't do anything. I found that the CPU wasn't seated properly and had three bent pins.

HarryD, Mar 25, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    The ONLY way that can happen is when the CPU fan is removed and the CPU removed from the socket. Many times I find removing the CPU fan will also pull the CPU out of the socket, easy to bend pins when putting it back.

Berton, Mar 25, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    *Roflmao2Thought so, looks like they`re calling on your good nature and not telling you the whole story.

8. HarryD Win User

strange boot issue

If anything happens again I'll be sure to ask exactly what they did. I don't want to accuse them of anything. I'm not sure what happened with the CPU the last time. My friend called me up and said it wouldn't boot (it was his computer at the time). I walked him through some stuff to try. I'm thinking he must have knocked the CPU loose while reseating the memory or unplugging internal USB devices.

Before I give the computer back, should I run some stress tests or anything (maybe make a system image)?

HarryD, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

strange boot issue

1. strange boot issue - Similar Threads - strange boot issue

2. A strange issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A strange issue: Hi all, I can't upload photos to reddit via my personal pc but I can via my phone or another pc. I have the Killer Control E2500 and at first I thought that the killer center is making this problem so I uninstalled it and installed only the driver but it didn't work as well....
  3. Strange issue with internet speed after boots

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange issue with internet speed after boots: Hey guys, So, I'm not really sure what's causing this issue. I have a 300mbp/s download and approximately 50mbp/s upload connection, but when I first boot up my machine, I'm getting somewhere around half, or less, of what I usually would. The only way I can rectify this is...
  4. Strange issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange issue: My machine seemingly randomly makes the device disconnected chime. Anyone else have this problem. submitted by /u/Beezlebub405 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fj82na/strange_issue/
  5. Strange issue this AM booting in

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Strange issue this AM booting in: Not sure if anyone can shed some light on what may have happened but here's the scenario... I get up and boot the computer. I have a two monitor set up. One of things I totally hate about this new rig is that the secondary monitor was somehow set as the default at boot and...
  6. Strange issue this AM booting in

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange issue this AM booting in: Not sure if anyone can shed some light on what may have happened but here's the scenario... I get up and boot the computer. I have a two monitor set up. One of things I totally hate about this new rig is that the secondary monitor was somehow set as the default at boot and...
  7. Strange issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange issue: I have very strange issue. In Monday I opened very image heavy page. The processor went to 90% and the memory over 2GB. Appeared a continuous sound like when I disconnect and connect USB deice. The keyboard stopped writing then continued and so on. When I closed the heavy...
  8. Strange issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange issue: Greetings, I have a strange issue with my PC lately. It occurs when I'm playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive around 6-12 PM. My PC restarts randomly around that time, only WHEN I'm playing that game, and ONLY around that time interval. I've checked with EventViewer...
  9. Strange issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange issue: Touchpad works fine but during gaming, responds either slowly or won't. How can I tackle this issue? 37436
  10. Strange Boot Up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange Boot Up: So I have 2 Win10 systems that I just built and installed. I believe all my settings are the same, I mean I went down the list one by one. Both systems have the same mobo, same CPU, just all the same. Not a critical issue, but something I notice and just not sure. When I...