Windows 10: Strange characters

Discus and support Strange characters in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I see this quite often where strange characters replace, say an apostrophe. Here's an example taken from my Google calendar event: I had typed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AllanP, Jan 31, 2018.

1. AllanP Win User

Strange characters

I see this quite often where strange characters replace, say an apostrophe. Here's an example taken from my Google calendar event: I had typed "Schnoodle's" in the event title. When I go to view it later here's what I see; well it wouldn't post the paste so will have to type it in: Here is what I tried to paste: "Schnoodle's"noodle's

TIA, Allan Schnoodle's

:)

AllanP, Jan 31, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Strange block characters

Hi Alexis, Windows 10 uses a font called Segoe UI for the user interface, I think one of your Segoe fonts is corrupt . . .

Click the link below to download the Segoe fonts.

Unzip that file, then right click the resulting font files and choose Install

Then restart your PC and see if this resolves the issue

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f106l8wf8v156pq/Segue...

DaveM121, Jan 31, 2018
  3. Strange block characters

Open Start, type: CMD

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Also run the System File Checker utility:

Open Start, type: CMD

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

At the Command Prompt, type: sfc/scannow

This will check for any integrity violations

Restart your system

If that does not work, try performing a repair upgrade:

Download the Windows 8.1 ISO:

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) - Microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Perform a repair upgrade:

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-rep...

Andre Da Costa, Jan 31, 2018
  4. bro67 Win User

Strange characters

Nothing strange for what you are seeing. It is just giving you the html output.

bro67, Jan 31, 2018
  5. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Jan 31, 2018
  6. AllanP Win User
    OK thanks I appreciate your responses; so I'm not to use an apostrophe any more as it will show up as gobbledygook, weird.

AllanP, Jan 31, 2018
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    No, I wouldn't say that. It could have been a glitch in Google Calendar. I just added an event ('s) and a reminder ('s) and the title appears as it should .... no html code.

Note: Even tried Schnoodle's with no problem *Smile

Eagle51, Jan 31, 2018
  8. AllanP Win User

Strange characters

OK thanks again. That was just an example as I'd seen it happen in emails also. Anyways at least I know the cause.

AllanP, Jan 31, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    It's called a character entity and always starts with an ampersand (&) and ends with a semi-colon [;]. All character entities can use numeric codes (e.g. ∫, to be written as ∫ for the Leibniz style "line integral" symbol), which shows that they also include hashmarks after the ampersand. The European Union's currency, the Euro, has a symbol that may be referenced as either € or as €. You can find tables of HTML character codes all over the place. I like the chained series of tables from W3Schools.com that start here: HTML Entities myself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: Ha! Ha! the forum software is funny about reproducing character entities. Where you see some that reads € you would want to put the ampersand first, then skip "amp;", then continue on with #8364; to reproduce the Euro symbol. I have to laugh that I don't know the escape character here to do it straight-up @Brink: can you enlighten me, please?

EdTittel, Jan 31, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Ed, *Smile

I don't know that one, but you can wrap a character with the [noparse]character[/noparse] bb code tags to prevent them from changing like that.

Brink, Jan 31, 2018
  11. AllanP Win User
    Thanks again all. This is all over my 37% geek head.*Roflmao2

AllanP, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Strange characters

1. Strange characters - Similar Threads - Strange characters

2. Random unknown characters appearing in strange situations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random unknown characters appearing in strange situations: Hello,Everything started when I was playing a game. After reopening it to play again I noticed some keys were not working. Not exactly the keys, because they worked in elsewhere, not in the game. But I didn't change the bindings.After a lot of research, I wanted to turn on...
  3. Random unknown characters appearing in strange situations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random unknown characters appearing in strange situations: Hello,Everything started when I was playing a game. After reopening it to play again I noticed some keys were not working. Not exactly the keys, because they worked in elsewhere, not in the game. But I didn't change the bindings.After a lot of research, I wanted to turn on...
  4. Random unknown characters appearing in strange situations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?: What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?×ÑÊ´ïA~[äGì¡“÷¯—¬Ã\ýYLì…eȨÕ{ܨWü¸_ÝLx3/xø https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-these-strange-characters-in-the-registry/aecc71c8-ee0b-4c67-bbf5-2a328fbc85d0
  6. What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?: What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?×ÑÊ´ïA~[äGì¡“÷¯—¬Ã\ýYLì…eȨÕ{ܨWü¸_ÝLx3/xø https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-these-strange-characters-in-the-registry/aecc71c8-ee0b-4c67-bbf5-2a328fbc85d0
  7. Windows Store version of Facebook Messenger shows strange characters in notifications

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Store version of Facebook Messenger shows strange characters in notifications: After the recent update to Facebook messenger I get odd characters and symbols in the notifications, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it still shows.Any ideas on what is causing this?Here is a screenshot...
  8. Windows Store version of Facebook Messenger shows strange characters in notifications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Store version of Facebook Messenger shows strange characters in notifications: After the recent update to Facebook messenger I get odd characters and symbols in the notifications, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it still shows.Any ideas on what is causing this?Here is a screenshot...
  9. Windows Store version of Facebook Messenger shows strange characters in notifications

10. My outlook shows strange characters in normal windows profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My outlook shows strange characters in normal windows profile: My outlooks shows strange characters in normal windows profile but in another local windows profile it is normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-outlook-shows-strange-characters-in-normal/566de5ca-11b7-4efb-93cc-b89f70116fe0