Windows 10: Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem

Discus and support Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a dual-boot problem. My desktop PC has two harddrives, Drive 0 and Drive 1. Drive 0 (my primary boot drive) has a single partition containing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Guihan, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Guihan Win User

Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem

I have a dual-boot problem. My desktop PC has two harddrives, Drive 0 and Drive 1. Drive 0 (my primary boot drive) has a single partition containing Windows 10 on Drive C:. Drive 1 has two partitions: a 100MB System Reserved partition containing the MBR, etc., and a large partition containing Windows 7 on Drive D:.

The Windows 10 OS was upgraded from Windows 7. The Windows 7OS on D: is a separate copy (not the copy used for the upgrade to Windows 10).

Both operating systems work fine, but the dual-boot menu that gives access to them is behaving very strangely. After a hard boot, the computer invariably goes straight into Windows 10. When I do a warm boot, however, the dual-boot menu is displayed, and I can choose either OS.

I have tried extending the display interval in Startup &Recovery, but it made no difference.

The odd thing is that, to begin with, the dual-boot menu was appearing correctly after every boot. The problem may have started after a Windows 10 update, but I am not sure.

Any suggestions for fixing the dual-boot menu problem?

:)

Guihan, Sep 27, 2015

2. Teclast tbook restore dual boot menu

"Teclast tbook 16 power" after windows updates, the dual boot menu gone. How to restore the dual boot menu and boot into android. Thanks.

danielLAM98, Sep 27, 2015
  3. MikeSnyder61704, Sep 27, 2015
  4. pbcopter Win User

My guess is that the boot directly to Windows 10 only occurs when you do a shutdown from Windows 10 and not from Windows 7.

Windows 10 uses a fast startup function that really is hibernation like. It allows a quicker startup and bypasses the boot menu.
    When you do a restart in Windows 10, the system does not use the fast startup function and really does a hard startup and thus goes to the boot menu.

This is all normal. If you always want the boot menu, then disable fast startup in Windows 10.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

pbcopter, Sep 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem - Similar Threads - Strange Dual Boot

2. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Boot Problem: HiI recently installed windows 10 on a second hard disk. And now my old hard disk with windows 8 won't boot... I tried a bit with bcdboot but didn't manage. How can I get it to work?...
  3. Dual Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Problem: HiI recently installed windows 10 on a second hard disk. And now my old hard disk with windows 8 won't boot... I tried a bit with bcdboot but didn't manage. How can I get it to work?...
  4. Dual Booting Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Booting Problem: In my computer I have 2 SSD. 1 is for my personal use. 1 is for work use. The work use one was cloned from my wife's work PC. I would like to be able to choose from either drive upon startup. However, upon installing the work SSD, it appears that it's drive letter is set to...
  5. Dual boot problems

Dual boot problems: I install some days before on a win7 system win10. Dual boot menu was starting at the beginning of every boot and i choose what i wanted. Windows 7 is very importand for me cause i have installed a digital signature on them and it does not work on Win10. Today this menu of...
  6. Dual boot menu: problem with Windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dual boot menu: problem with Windows update: I use two operating system on my laptop: Windows 10 and Ubuntu. So when I turn on the device it offers the dual boot menu to choose the OS. However after every update the boot menu ceases being visible and the system bypasses the boot menu directly to load Windows 10. This...
  7. Strange boot problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange boot problem: I normally run my pc with two Samsung SSD drives, a 256gb 850EVO boot drive, and a 1tb 840EVO slave drive. Every so often I image one to the other using the Samsung cloning software. I now wanted to use the 1TB elsewhere so simply removed it. After doing so my PC now boots...
  8. Dual boot no option menu

Dual boot no option menu: I'm currently running ver 14393 (32) and tried installing 14986 (insider) on a partition. The install went ok but the installed version had some problems: repeated BSODs and really slow response. The hard part was getting back to my working version. I thought there was a boot...
  9. Dual Boot No Boot Menu

Dual Boot No Boot Menu: Ladies and Gentlemen I am in a new arena and need some help. I have been in the INI and BCD Arena but not the EFI MBR. I decided to go with a new motherboard and AMD RYZEN CPU. I set up the new system and moved my hard drives with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and Windows 8.1 Pro...
  10. No dual boot menu at all?!

No dual boot menu at all?!: Hello, ] I recently (clean) installed Windows 10 on a new SSD. Windows 7 resides on my first drive. 1) I first set the USB to boot from; 2) Began to install Windows 10; 3) First snare: upon first reboot, after removing the USB, the system just started my old...