Windows 10: Strange Error mounting an iso on an external drive in Hyper-V

Discus and support Strange Error mounting an iso on an external drive in Hyper-V in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I got this rather odd error message when trying to mount an iso from an external drive using Hyper-V. The external drive is formatted as NTFS, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Oct 15, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

Strange Error mounting an iso on an external drive in Hyper-V

I got this rather odd error message when trying to mount an iso from an external drive using Hyper-V.

The external drive is formatted as NTFS, so the second part does not apply.

The iso does mount if I copy it to an "internal" drive in Hyper-V (C drive in my case).

It also mounts from external drive using a 3rd party tool (virtual clonedrive).

Not a big deal as easy enough to get round but I am curios to now if this is a bug, or if it is the way an external drive is interfaced somehow?

Strange Error mounting an iso on an external drive in Hyper-V [​IMG]

:)

cereberus, Oct 15, 2016

2. Windows 10 1709 - iso will no longer mount from exFAT formatted drives

Still looking for a fix.

iso images will mount from internal SSD (NTFS)

iso images will mount from external HHD (NTFS)

iso images will mount from flash drives (NTFS)

iso images will not mount from any external device (exFAT)

I store many iso images on my micro SD and external drives (exFAT), and now I can only mount these files if I move them to a drive formatted in NTFS!

mrjoecampbell, Oct 15, 2016
  3. Mounting ISO in hyper-v running VM - Win 10 build 1709

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your advice.

Igor Lishnevsky, Oct 15, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

I agree that the error message is strange or at least misleading, it should in my opinion be something like this:

Strange Error mounting an iso on an external drive in Hyper-V [​IMG]

5. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - odd part is 3rd party apps work fine so even that is not strictly accurate, and wonder why it cannot be done - obviously hyper-v opens isos without any issue if on internal drive?

I guess we will never know as I doubt this would ever be a priority issue.

cereberus, Oct 16, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Third party apps are of course OK, it's just that on a Hyper-V VM you cannot mount a disk image or VHD if it is not locally stored on the vm.

Personally I don't see any issues in this: when I need to mount an ISO I mount it in VM settings as DVD, when I need a VHD I mount it as an additional disk.

7. cereberus Win User
    As I said it is no big deal - it was just the confusing message I was commenting on really.

It would have helped if the message said (for example)- "mount iso as dvd image in settings" which is a better solution than copying to an internal drive as it uses less space of course.

I worked this solution out later but did not actually mention it.

My point was you have work it out from a misleading message, as it was not immediately obvious what the issue was.

cereberus, Oct 16, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Very true. That message is most misleading.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange Error mounting an iso on an external drive in Hyper-V - Similar Threads - Strange Error mounting

2. HYPER-V 2019 ISO FILE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HYPER-V 2019 ISO FILE: Hi everyone, Does anyone have another way to download the evaluation of Hyper-v Server 2019 iso file?The evalcenter page stills seems to be not working for almost 5 days. I need an iso file.. Thank you...
  3. HYPER-V 2019 ISO FILE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HYPER-V 2019 ISO FILE: Hi everyone, Does anyone have another way to download the evaluation of Hyper-v Server 2019 iso file?The evalcenter page stills seems to be not working for almost 5 days. I need an iso file.. Thank you...
  4. Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives: Hi There I am running Windows 11 in a VM. All is working fine expect that I cannot see how to show my external hard drives in File Explorer. When I first ran the VM I clicked on something (!) and they appeared. That VM was accidently deleted and now I cannot recall how I got...
  5. Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help With Hyper V & External Drives: Hi There I am running Windows 11 in a VM. All is working fine expect that I cannot see how to show my external hard drives in File Explorer. When I first ran the VM I clicked on something (!) and they appeared. That VM was accidently deleted and now I cannot recall how I got...
  6. Hyper-V and ISO files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hyper-V and ISO files: Hello can you please help when I am using a TPM with Microsoft's Bitlocker any ISO I make of a DVD for system testing with Hyper V from a real DVD or CD-ROM Data disc is marked as a encrypted file, and can not be open with Hypervisor. If I am logged in as a admin, why can't...
  7. Error while mounting ISO

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error while mounting ISO: I've tried a variety of methods to mount various ISO's (which are fine, I can open them in 7ZIP) and no dice. The powershell method gives me an error message... mount-diskimage -imagepath "X:\new build\DAW\NI Installers\cuba.iso" mount-diskimage : The semaphore timeout...
  8. Can't mount ISO as drive K:, but drive V: works fine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Can't mount ISO as drive K:, but drive V: works fine: Hello everyone A bit of background: I use Office 2003 alongside Office 2016. Office 2003 is installed from an ISO file created from the original Office 2003 CD. Every now and then, however, something on the computer causes Office 2003 to "break", and I suspect it may be...
  9. Can't mount ISO as drive K:, but drive V: works fine

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't mount ISO as drive K:, but drive V: works fine: Hello everyone A bit of background: I use Office 2003 alongside Office 2016. Office 2003 is installed from an ISO file created from the original Office 2003 CD. Every now and then, however, something on the computer causes Office 2003 to "break", and I suspect it may be...
  10. Win10 1809 Hyper-V new install will not boot from mounted ISO

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 1809 Hyper-V new install will not boot from mounted ISO: Good day, I have a new Win10 1809 box that I have enabled Hyper-V on. I have created a VM and have set the DVD drive to a none good Win10 1809 Pro ISO, but it will not boot. I manually created VM and I have used the Hyper-V Quick Create app. It comes up with the following...
Tags: