Windows 10: Strange Event When Going to Safe Mode

Discus and support Strange Event When Going to Safe Mode in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have two Windows 10 machines (both are 1709) and one is acting strangely. When I click Settings and go to the recovery area to initiate "Boot in to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by AirPower4ever, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Strange Event When Going to Safe Mode

I have two Windows 10 machines (both are 1709) and one is acting strangely. When I click Settings and go to the recovery area to initiate "Boot in to Safe Mode" it does restart, but then all I see is a black screen. Now this happens within 10 minutes of the machine being on. The C drive is an SSD. After about 10 minutes if I do the same process I actually get to the Safe Mode options. But, when I click on "Restart" where you see the options it goes back to normal Windows desktop.

The only way I can get to Safe Mode is via msconfig. I did run sfc /scannow and it found no errors. Anyone can shed light on why this is happening?

:)

AirPower4ever, Jan 9, 2018

2. SSD Invisible to Windows 10

Curious. It does indeed show up in safe mode without a hitch. does windows use a different driver for SATA when in safe mode?

That aside, yes it shows up everywhere. Explorer mounted it on startup without any fuss. same goes for MMC.

I'll stay in safe mode for now in case you need me to do something there again.

EDIT:

Went back into my normal desktop. Not sure *Why* yet, but after booting into safe mode once, windows is picking it up fine.

Digging through the Event Viewer, i found this:

2015-12-02 8:25:10 PM

The DSM service was delayed by 78 seconds for a driver query/download/install on device 'SCSI\DISK&VEN_ATA&PROD_ACSC2M064S18\4&30B6CD56&0&000000'

I know this is the SSD in question.

(BTW, there are a LOT of errors in the event viewer. 3,890, 3/4 of which is from today. )

I'm going to mark Safe Mode as the answer for now, because strange as it is, that's my only explanation..

botcrusher01, Jan 9, 2018
  3. AlexDragu Win User
    Windows 10 causing sporadic crashes

This is a good sign. If it worked in safe mode, then it is not a driver, it is most likely a program that runs in the background is crashing the system. Go into safe mode, and post what the event viewer files said.

Control panel> Administrative tools> Event Viewer> System and Applications

AlexDragu, Jan 9, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Strange Event When Going to Safe Mode

Hi, you could check your disk- try
    Hard Disk Sentinel (trial). (SSD's too).

Given what you say, do that from cold and after a suitable time.
    However, I'd be more suspicious of a HD than a SSD.

Remember you're relying on the Recovery Partition which your tests don't check.

dalchina, Jan 9, 2018
  5. I actually have HDSent installed and it is at 100%. The C drive is a Sammy 950 Pro and it has the O/S loaded on it. I did a clean install a month ago from 1703 to 1709 and all seemed well. Just found this as I am trying to update the Nvidia driver, but I have to be in Safe Mode for DDU to work well.

AirPower4ever, Jan 10, 2018
  6. OK, in another thread on something else, something weird. I just tried going in to Safe Mode and it worked. I even got the options and got in to the desktop safe mode. So this issue looks resolved, but in my other thread there are a bunch of new ones. Maybe profile is corrupt? Not sure, but this issue is closed.
    Thank you everyone for the help.

AirPower4ever, Jan 10, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    To get into safe mode use the steps in this link:
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

1) This is the administrative command prompt method: type or copy and paste:
    shutdown /r /o/ f/ t 00
    2) This is the method using the left lower corner windows icon:
    a) click on power
    b) continuously hold down the shift key
    c) click restart

3) open device manger > click view > expand all rows > look for any row with an icon that is a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark > post an image into the thread

4) Once the computer is in safe mode open device manger:
    expand display adapters > right click on each row > left click properties >

3) Run though the steps in this troubleshooter for black screens.
    Report your findings into the thread.

zbook, Jan 10, 2018
  8. Strange Event When Going to Safe Mode

I just did an upgrade, but save all data and that worked. Thanks again everyone

AirPower4ever, Jan 11, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    Glad it worked out for you.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Strange Event When Going to Safe Mode

1. Strange Event When Going to Safe Mode - Similar Threads - Strange Event Going

2. Blank screen when going on safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blank screen when going on safe mode: So I recently did a reset on my windows 10 pc and I had bit locker on as well but I still see my login screen to put password and everything and says unable to find user and when I wanted to go on safe mode and when I signed in it let me and it was slow to load and when it...
  3. Blank screen when going on safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank screen when going on safe mode: So I recently did a reset on my windows 10 pc and I had bit locker on as well but I still see my login screen to put password and everything and says unable to find user and when I wanted to go on safe mode and when I signed in it let me and it was slow to load and when it...
  4. Blank screen when going on safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Event Viewer gives lot of errors when in Safe Boot Mode

Event Viewer gives lot of errors when in Safe Boot Mode: When I enter the Even Viewer after a Safe Boot Mode it shows a lot of errors like in the image. I want to understand if it is normal or not....
  6. Windows 10 : How Go Safe Mode

Windows 10 : How Go Safe Mode: 1- Shift + Restart 2- Troubleshoot 3- Advanced options 4-Startup settings 5-restart 6- F4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-how-go-safe-mode/9efb67f5-0f53-4333-ac3d-219a85eea486
  7. Cannot log in or go to safe mode

Cannot log in or go to safe mode: I cannot log into windows. It doesn’t recognize my pin or password. It then goes to black screen with dell logo and a circle appears then back to opening screen i have tried rebooting it in safe mode. No luck. Just opens back to same place...
  8. Unable to go into safe mode to change pin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to go into safe mode to change pin: Tried everything according to the forums help. I got the pin error code that doesn’t allow me to log into the laptop. I can’t pull up the start menu either to do anything. Tried to get into the safe mode to see if i can remove the pin but it would go into restart then back to...
  9. Cannot boot into safe mode. When I go to start up repair and select the option for safe...

Cannot boot into safe mode. When I go to start up repair and select the option for safe...: Ok well heres my problem. My ram was faulty and my pc BSOD during a video card driver installation. I know this is the issue so all I need to do is get into safe mode to reinstall. I cannot turn off automatic system restore. I cannot enter safe mode because it infinitely...
  10. Strange-DISM SFC work in safe mode, but not in regular boot?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange-DISM SFC work in safe mode, but not in regular boot?: Curious where the issues could be. I posted last night that when I was trying to run DISM or SFC a small second window would appear and close and then the processs would not start at all. It would just sit there and do nothing. The other thing is I could not close those cmd...