Windows 10: Strange 'file not found' type error when saving at times?

Discus and support Strange 'file not found' type error when saving at times? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey Everyone! Hope you're having a great holiday season and are spending it in good health! Let me get straight to the point. As the title implies I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by esrue, Dec 12, 2017.

1. esrue Win User

Strange 'file not found' type error when saving at times?

Hey Everyone! Hope you're having a great holiday season and are spending it in good health!

Let me get straight to the point. As the title implies I get an issue when trying to save things. I get a strange issue where a text box will pop up telling me that [the file I'm trying to save's name] is not found, and to check the file's name and try again? Obviously this is a strange error that i've only gotten variations of when 'opening' but never saving...

Strange 'file not found' type error when saving at times? [​IMG]

I did a prior google search and couldn't come up with the issue. The closest i got was that it might be a permissions error, which is strange because for my account i'm admin for all permissions, but I went through and dropped the last handful of safeties to see if there was some weird new permission glitch holding me back (that could be solved like this) and Nothing! The Save As feature of a lot of my programs just saves when it wants and sometimes just griefs me until i lose an afternoon of editing, which is not ideal. It varies from folder to folder, and i can't really pin point reasons why one folder would let me save and another won't, even when i look at the permissions in the safety tab of the individual cases...

My other hard drive atm seems like none of those issues affect it. But I'm not even sure what the cause of this is so I wouldn't be able to contain it? (I've done virus scans also just in case). Any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

:)

esrue, Dec 12, 2017
  2. theRichyD Win User

Getting file not found error when saving new file PowerShell ISE

I don't agree that this belongs in the MSDN forum. The issue is not about Powershell, but rather a windows file system save issue - powershell just happens to be the place it showed up. It very likely has to do with permissioning - as I found that I could
    save the script file in folders other than the top level documents folders. But I would like to know why I did not get a permission error and why the message says file not found. So, I don't think this belongs in the MSDN forums.

theRichyD, Dec 12, 2017
  3. Getting file not found error when saving new file PowerShell ISE

Hi,

Since getting "file not found" error when saving PowerShell .ps1 file from the ISE is more on Powershell ISE scripting related, we highly recommend that you post your query on the
    Microsoft MSDN Forums. They can provide you advance troubleshooting to help you with your concern.

Regards.

Jenicel Dri, Dec 12, 2017
  4. Strange 'file not found' type error when saving at times?

Hi esrue.

Have you check your disk and cabling?

I would start with cabling. With device off reseat data cables to drive.

Then I would run chkdsk C: from a command prompt(admin). This is just a scan to see if it find errors.

I would then also use Seatools to see the Smart data on the drive.

https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/suppor...oads/seatools/

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 13, 2017
  5. davwilli Win User
    I have had the same problem, specifically when I try to save a file to my desktop with an app other than windows ,like Primo PDF for example. I found that turning off Windows Defender Controlled folder access fixed the problem.

DFW

davwilli, Dec 13, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Far better to leave it on and let your app through the Controlled Folder Access. It tells you in the notification the name of the .exe that needs to be granted access. Then Defender can do it's job of protection your documents against ransomware. Took me about a week to determine all the apps I needed add to the 'allowed' list.

*Arrow TenForums tutorial - Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings

7. esrue Win User
    Fixed!! It was a combination of Everyone's suggestions, i basically took out the drive, attached it back and ran through all the fixes. I suspect that it was mostly Windows Defender being dramatic but thanks to all for the advice!

esrue, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Strange 'file not found' type error when saving at times?

1. Strange 'file not found' type error when saving at times? - Similar Threads - Strange 'file found'

2. When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type: All images saved from Chrome are being saved with the file type "File" regardless of the original file type of the image i am saving.I have tried from different browsers and they are saved in the correct format.I've contacted Google support and they say this is a Windows...
  3. When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type: All images saved from Chrome are being saved with the file type "File" regardless of the original file type of the image i am saving.I have tried from different browsers and they are saved in the correct format.I've contacted Google support and they say this is a Windows...
  4. When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Strange Delay/Pause when saving files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange Delay/Pause when saving files: Hi, since 1 week or a bit more I'm experiencing a very strange thing on Windows 10 PRO 20H2 (build OS 19042.804) There is an unusual delay when saving files that is very hard to describe, please let me provide an example first, then I'll go into details of things I have...
  6. Strange Delay/Pause when saving files

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Delay/Pause when saving files: Hi, since 1 week or a bit more I'm experiencing a very strange thing on Windows 10 PRO 20H2 (build OS 19042.804) There is an unusual delay when saving files that is very hard to describe, please let me provide an example first, then I'll go into details of things I have...
  7. save and save as file types

save and save as file types: I save/download very few websites/documents. I want them to appear in File Explorer in only one place such as quick access, this pc, libraries, pictures, etc. Any EXCEPT OneDrive. Where, how can I do this using Edge or IE browser? I do not save enough to bother with...
  8. Strange file found

Strange file found: The short version is that I found this file about 8 months ago and called windows phone support. No one there had any idea as what it was. All scans have comw up negative for malware. There is no information about it on the web that I could find. I have attached a pic of...
  9. Strange File Type "OneDrive"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange File Type "OneDrive": VKSTYX File Type is showing for all of my files in one drive. I saved all my files like pictures and now everything says this. "This is an example from my one drive it self. I cant open these files what do i do? [ATTACH]...
  10. File not found when doing Save As

in Microsoft Office and 365
    File not found when doing Save As: (Office 2016) This problem happens with Office Apps (Pub,Excel,Word etc) since build 1803. When I try to "save as" a file to my C:, I get this message "File not found"*Confused It will "save as" to an external drive without issue. Permissions problem??? OR?? 112180