Windows 10: Strange intermitent behavior on opening screen-No access to PW field?

Discus and support Strange intermitent behavior on opening screen-No access to PW field? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have successfully updated from Win7 to Win10, however when booting up, I am not always able to go directly to my password to continue the booting... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by flycaster, Dec 14, 2015.

1. flycaster Win User

Strange intermitent behavior on opening screen-No access to PW field?

I have successfully updated from Win7 to Win10, however when booting up, I am not always able to go directly to my password to continue the booting process. I turn the computer on and wait until I get the first screen (interesting picture, the date, etc.) I then tap the touch-pad to get to the next screen that contains the password field. Sometimes, but not always, the PW screen doesn't appear and when this happens, I can raise the "picture" screen with the cursor and see the PW screen. However, the PW field in the screen is grayed out. There is nothing else that responds and I have to manually force a total shut down. Then, when I re-boot, everything works as it should.

EDIT: This event occurred on my portable. The next post relates to the same event but on my new desktop PC that came with Windows 10 already installed. Thus, the two similar posts

:)

flycaster, Dec 14, 2015
  2. SantSys Win User

Opening Folders - Strange Behavior

It looks like this issue is only when accessing a folder from the "Quick Access" list. If that helps narrow it down... I've tried resetting settings, etc. Anything else to try??

SantSys, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Opening Folders - Strange Behavior

Hi,

Thank you for being part of the Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with the Windows 10.

In order to help you better, please provide the information:

Are you getting any error message?

Method 1: I suggest you to perform the system maintenance troubleshooter. It will resolve the common system problems.

1. Tap on Windows Key and click on search bar.
    2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

3. Then click on System and Security.

4. Click on System Maintenance.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 2: I suggest you to perform a System File Checker of the Computer and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key.

2. Then type “CMD” without the quotes and right click on it.

3. Select Run as Administrator.4. Then type”sfc /scannow” without
    the quotes and hit on Enter Key.

Method 3: I would suggest you to boot the Computer in Safe Mode and check if the issues is occurring or not. After following the below steps from the link. Under the options. Please select Safe Mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on Windows related issues. We will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 14, 2015
  4. flycaster Win User

Just got an HP Envy desktop with win10 pre-installed. Everything seems to be working properly except for one randomly occurring glitch when it comes to typing in the password.

Normally, and correctly, when the PC is first booted on, and almost ready for use, there will be a full screen picture with the date showing. Once this shows, I will either left click or press Enter. The next screen asks for my password or PIN. OK, that's how it works when it works right.

The problem occurs when I first click on the opening picture/date screen, strange things happen. The cursor shows, but I am not brought to the PW screen and remain on the picture/date screen. If I then move the cursor up, the opening screen will also move up and reveal the PW screen below. Moving the cursor up and down, moves the first screen up and down. When the PW screen shows, the PW field is greyed out and there is no response from the cursor or keyboard commands to type. Furthermore, Windows doesn't respond when trying to use the power icon to restart or shut down. As at this point nothing is working, I have to manually shut the computer down using its power button. It is on very rare occasions that re-booting does not correct the issue. But, occasionally, I will have to re-boot a second time to get to an active PW screen. BTW, and thankfully, awaking from sleep causes no problems. Help is most appreciated.

flycaster, Dec 22, 2015
  5. flycaster Win User
    After much trial and error, I believe that I have found the solution to the problem. When using the Logitech Trackman's left click to go from the opening picture screen to the password screen, I'd would get an inactive PW field. However, if I used the portable's keyboard's or the desktop's keyboard's ENTER, I would then be directed to an active PW field. So, it appears that somehow my older TRB-22 trackmen don't communicate well with Window's 10 during this booting process. However, once into Windows, the Trackman works fine.

flycaster, Dec 23, 2015
  6. flycaster Win User
    Also, I might add, I was having troubles with a lose of all icons (except the default icons that ceased to work) on the taskbar. However, I had a hint that some of this might be related to the Logitech Setpoint controller/version. I deleted it and tried to reinstall an earlier version, but somehow I wound up with the same newest version (6.67.83) and everything worked as it should. Taskbar populated with its icond, all icons working and could get to PW screen with either the ENTER key or left clicking the Trackman...Lucky me!

flycaster, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange intermitent behavior on opening screen-No access to PW field? - Similar Threads - Strange intermitent behavior

2. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  3. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  4. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: [ATTACH] Windows Taskbar My Windows freezes and then my taskbar is replaced by the one above. This replacement "taskbar" is not accessible, and non of the task bar fixes I have tried off the internet will restore it. Only a system reboot restores the "original"...
  6. strange pc behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    strange pc behavior: After opening a browser or pc folder etc, my pc brings up a popup of all the open stuff in a smaller window. In the attached attached image: I have opened a chrome window and a settings window. ( shown in the background) ; In the front with a black border you can see the same...
  7. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: Was browsing in Chrome, all of a sudden my scroll wheel on my mouse was disabled, and Windows was just making a clicking noise instead of scrolling the page. Closed everything, restarted, and got a weird blue screen asking if I wanted to Restore/Repair, etc. Restarted in...
  8. Strange laptop behavior...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Strange laptop behavior...: Lately my laptop has been acting very strange. Sometimes when I log in or restart my laptop when it opens the desktop background is the default, and I'm not logged into chrome. It is like I'm opening a new laptop. The files and music I download is gone and the games I have...
  9. A strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A strange behavior: Warning: The text of this question is made with Google Translate. I own a relatively new computer with Windows 10 Pro and Windows Insider Program. From the very beginning, every time I turn it on and reach the Windows lock screen, it does not detect any network connection,...
  10. strange behavior .....

in Windows 10 Support
    strange behavior .....: good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most important one, has lots of...