Windows 10: Strange issue with a dodgy DNS server?

Discus and support Strange issue with a dodgy DNS server? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Oh, I'm aware of the site - used it plenty of times before! Thank you though I just figured, DNS servers have no impact of the speed of your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Strange issue with a dodgy DNS server?

You're correct. Just posted that cause you mentioned "I'm not even sure how I would go about that". Guess you were referring to something else. No, far as I know, the DNS server has nothing to do with speed. Hops, jumps, and traffic congestion, re-routes...all that nasty stuff affects the speed. A speed test, like Ookla, is basically how fast can you ping the closest server, and back 'n forth. It just sends/receives little trash packets. Hardly a real world scenario. But, getting OT.....

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018

2. This is a fresh install of Windows 10.

I used nslookup in cmd to look up an IP of a website. Here are the results:

Code: C:\Users\Username>nslookup www.google.com Server: UnKnown Address: fe80::a08f:4f72:28c5:81c1 DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. *** Request to UnKnown timed-out[/quote] This seemed strange to me, so I checked my DNS server settings for IPv4, and, out of the blue, it seems to have set itself to 127.7.7.6 IPv6 is also set to a manual address of "fe80::a08f:4f72:28c5:81c1"

Why is that, and can anyone explain it? Is it something to be worried about? Websites load fine, everything works, but it doesn't seem right to me.

:)

TheDeerDude, Apr 15, 2018
  3. strange DNS Resolution failures

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

We understand your problem and will assist you to fix it.

The DNS, or domain name system, error occurs when one portion of a network, such as the Internet, is not connecting properly to another portion of the network. This can occur because of a wide range of issues, from quick, easy-to-fix
    problems to more complex situations. DNS errors are one of the most common errors users receive while surfing the Web. You may refer the common steps to resolve a DNS errors are as follows:

“Verify network connectivity, Determine the scope of the problem, Find out whether all users are affected, See whether the DNS server is performing load balancing, Check the DNS
    server's forwarders, Try pinging a host,
    Use NSLookup ,Try an alternate DNS server,
    Scan for viruses
    and Reboot the DNS server”.

Meanwhile to troubleshoot your issue
    please follow the given methods:

Method 1: Reset TCP\IP

Reset TCP/IP and check if it helps.

a. Press Windows key + X, Select Command Prompt (Admin) and then press ENTER.

b. At the command prompt, type the following command and then
    press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note:If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

c. Reboot the computer.

Method 2: Flush IP and renew it

a) Right-click on Start and click on command prompt (Admin).

b) At the command prompt, type the following commands and hit Enter after each command.

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

exit

Method 3: Safety scanner

We suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus. The
    Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Safety Scanner - Windows Defender Security Intelligence

Warning:

1) The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

2) If you run the virus scan the program that is infected with virus will get deleted. So you have to reinstall the program. Also if the files and folders are affected with virus then they might even get deleted.

Please let us know if your issue got fixed or you need any further assistance.

Amarjeet1709, Apr 15, 2018
  4. Strange issue with a dodgy DNS server?

strange DNS Resolution failures

i keep seeing these something corrupt or have i got some kind of issue as the domain name in the error log does not seem correct too me

Name resolution for the name cyjrivdbjb timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

L: -
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider
    Name="Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client" Guid="{1C95126E-7EEA-49A9-A3FE-A378B03DDB4D}" />

<EventID>1014</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>1014</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x4000000010000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated
    SystemTime="2015-09-22T14:53:05.914115600Z" />

<EventRecordID>3699</EventRecordID>

<Correlation
    />

<Execution
    ProcessID="1456" ThreadID="10060" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-94QV2ON</Computer>

<Security
    UserID="S-1-5-20" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="QueryName">cyjrivdbjb</Data>

<Data Name="AddressLength">128</Data>

<Data Name="Address">02000000D1DE12DE000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

and yes cyjrivdbjb is not a spelling mistake unless windows cant spell its own event log entrys

danhuk2014, Apr 15, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Set dns to 208.67.220.220 and 1.1.1.1 te setting you have is something running on your pc as its local address do you have and security or anti virus software that often does it to scan incoming requests. Do you get a reply if you put the 127.7.7.6 into a browser?

Samuria, Apr 15, 2018
  6. I tried changing them to "obtain automatically" and then to the IPs you provided, but they kept defaulting to the previous IP.

Now that you mention it, I do - I am running Heimdal Pro with its "Traffic Scanning" features enabled. I disabled them temporarily, and I was able to change the IP configuration to what I wanted. Would it be safe to assume that it's Heimdal then, and nothing is wrong?

I get no reply from 127.6.6.7 in the web browser

7. Samuria Win User
    Heimdal Pro sounds a good idea but could give problem updating things on it own it would beinteresting to do a speed test with it off and wit hit on as the dns must be slower

Samuria, Apr 15, 2018
  8. sml156 Win User

Not sure why nslookup failed it should work since you have a set DNS server, This should work:

Code: nslookup google.com 127.6.6.7[/quote]

sml156, Apr 15, 2018
  9. I think I'll pass, I'm not even sure how I would go about that. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something malicious changing my DNS servers. Your guess about the security software doing this was spot on, thank you

[/quote] Well, that works! I don't know why but by default it's using the set IPv6 address for this, but when using that command, it works.

10. f14tomcat Win User
    Just FYI.... this is pretty much the most common Speed Test used, least here in TF. There are others, this is the most common. It doesn't install anything. Easy....

*Arrow Flash Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

f14tomcat, Apr 15, 2018
  11. Oh, I'm aware of the site - used it plenty of times before! Thank you though

I just figured, DNS servers have no impact of the speed of your connection? Once your computer finds the domain's address, it shouldn't matter, should it? It's only about the time it takes to look up the domain. I didn't think this test was relevant

Thema:

1. Strange issue with a dodgy DNS server? - Similar Threads - Strange issue dodgy

2. DNS Servers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS Servers: i cannot connect to the internet even though my laptop tells me i am connected when i try anything it keeps telling me DNS servers not working/connecting. i have tryed hard wire connection still nothing.im on a windows 11 but microsoft updated windows 10 2 days ago and...
  3. Dns server issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dns server issue: In the last month or two I’ve been having constant dns server issue. I have tried almost every solution under the sun without any luck. These are the things that I have tried.1. Troubleshooting2. Flushing dns cache, register, renew, reset, winsock reset, ipv4 ipv6 reset in...
  4. Dns server issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dns server issue: In the last month or two I’ve been having constant dns server issue. I have tried almost every solution under the sun without any luck. These are the things that I have tried.1. Troubleshooting2. Flushing dns cache, register, renew, reset, winsock reset, ipv4 ipv6 reset in...
  5. Dns server issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. DNS server

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS server: I have internet and can get into everything except Facebook. It keeps coming up with a DNS server problem. Everyone in the building can get on, but me. I have tried everything the internet said to do, to no avail....
  7. Dns Server & Firewall Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dns Server & Firewall Issue: sometime the web pages stop loading and internet drop, after few second come back again. My router log dont report any adsl drop, and my ISP checked my line and it's fine. Sometime on the event viewer i found id event 1014, reset connection, upgrade lan driver dont help. I...
  8. DNS Server Issue with Sky Broadband

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Server Issue with Sky Broadband: Recently moved over to Sky Broadband using Sky Hub Router, which works fine with all my non Windows devices (Mac, iPhone, Android Phones, TV's etc). However when I try connect to the internet through my Windows Laptop this connects up to the router, however it will not...
  9. DNS SERVER ISSUE

DNS SERVER ISSUE: We have a issue where in the particular website use to open but recently that website has went through certain changes and the i.p address of it is also changed. when we try to open that website the followin error occurs[ATTACH] kindly help us with the solution...
  10. DNS Server Issue with Windows 10

DNS Server Issue with Windows 10: Since the May update of Window 10 internet hasn't worked on my PC. I get the following error: "Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)" How do I fix?...