Windows 10: Strange Monitor Sleep Issue

Discus and support Strange Monitor Sleep Issue in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I've been having a strange sleep issue with my monitor on one of my systems. It's currently running 14946 and this problem has been happening since I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Mystere, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Mystere Win User

Strange Monitor Sleep Issue

I've been having a strange sleep issue with my monitor on one of my systems. It's currently running 14946 and this problem has been happening since I first installed Windows 10, around the end of may on this new kit.

The computer is an Intel NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK - Skull Canyon

The computer is brand new, the monitor is about a year older (an Auria 27"), and did not exhibit the problem when I used the monitor on a different computer with Windows 10. I have a different model Auria 27" that also does not have any problem.

I'm using the DisplayPort output with a displayport cable to the monitor.

The actual problem is that the monitor "Wakes" from sleep every 3-5 minutes, then goes back to sleep. If I leave it like this for a day or two, it will eventually lock the monitor up, so that I have to pull the power plug to be able to get it working again.

The PC itself is not waking from sleep, in fact I have Sleep and Hibernation disabled. The monitor is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes.

I've checked the usual Powercfg queries, but it hasn't revealed anything. The chipset is the Intel Iris Pro 580, and i'm using the default driver installed with Windows 10, as the drivers available from Intel are older.

Any suggestions? This is getting a little frustrating.

:)

Mystere, Oct 16, 2016

2. Computer silently wakes up from sleep and turns on monitor after Windows 10 install. How to fix?

Hiya Sid -

Hahahh great new feature indeed!

Do you by chance have an HP 2311x monitor? Seems like a lot of people

with this issue have this same unit.

Also, mine is on a desktop unit which never sleeps. The computer itself is

on 24/7 and never in ANY sleep mode... I simply turn the monitor off before

heading to bed. It is really very strange that the computer is able to turn on

the monitor!!

This is not an issue of sleep states, or power modes. I cannot see any reason

for this monitor to be turned on in the middle of the night.

Soooo Microsoft... what is going on here?! I'm considering buying a new

monitor to fix this problem... but would a new monitor help? Not sure!

THanks for the reply Sid -

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Beers Evans, Oct 16, 2016
  3. Sid_0987 Win User
    Computer silently wakes up from sleep and turns on monitor after Windows 10 install. How to fix?

Hi, RiTCHiE007774.

I am sorry you are having this issue too. If you have the HP 2311x monitor, that may be the issue as we had been talking about in previous posts. And, as
    Brian Beers Evans said
    above, it is really very strange that the computer is able to turn on the monitor. We don't think it is an issue of sleep states, or power
    modes. I cannot see any reason for a monitor to be turned on in the middle of the night by the computer.

My solution, I recently bought a new ViewSonic monitor and connected it to the computer and now have dual screens with the ViewSonic as primary and the HP as secondary. The ViewSonic alone hasn't been
    turn on by the computer anymore, and the HP stopped once I plugged it into the configuration. Note that I do see the computer coming out of sleep mode on its own at night and doing whatever mysterious update or maintenance it does and go back to sleep when
    done, but none of the monitors have been turned on anymore.

Sid_0987, Oct 16, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

different firmware for the monitor (tv?) perhaps ? if possible , is about all I can think of.... I have not heard of those Auria Monitors...

I assume the Nuc has latest bios?

Kbird, Oct 17, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    Yes, the NUC has the latest bios, and in fact I've updated it several times since getting it. There is no firmware update for these monitors, they are off brand. But, the point here is that the monitor did not behave this way when used on a different PC. It's strange because the monitor goes out of sleep, then back into sleep 1-2 seconds later.

Another odd thing, when the PC upgrades to a new build, the issue goes away until after the first login (when you get the "don't turn off your pc" screen). After the first login after an upgrade, the problem begins again. This suggests the problem is related somehow the os/driver rather than the monitor.

This is the monitor, by the way:

Amazon.com: AURIA EQ276W LED 27-Inch IPS LED Monitor, WQHD 2560x1440, HDMI, DVI-D, DisplayPort: Computers Accessories

I've already performed several clean installs on this PC since getting it, and the problem has been there even after a clean install. So it's not something that a clean install seems to fix.

Mystere, Oct 17, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    did you try hdmi to see if it makes a difference ?

I can't think of anything that would make just the monitor wake up

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Strange Monitor Sleep Issue - Similar Threads - Strange Monitor Sleep

2. Monitor Sleep Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Sleep Issue: Hello! In the settings, I set my monitors to sleep at 5 minutes with my computer running. But after a few seconds, my monitors turn back on. Then 5 minutes later, they stay off and don't come back on like they are supposed to. I'm not sure why the monitors come back up within...
  3. Monitor Sleep Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Sleep Issue: Hello! In the settings, I set my monitors to sleep at 5 minutes with my computer running. But after a few seconds, my monitors turn back on. Then 5 minutes later, they stay off and don't come back on like they are supposed to. I'm not sure why the monitors come back up within...
  4. sleep state is strange

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sleep state is strange: Hi.After recent win10 21H1 updates 2021/10/2~6, my PC sleeps ? in a strange way.1. PC enters sleep state S3 immediately after pushing power buttonEventData TargetState 4 EffectiveState 4 Reason 0 Flags 1 TransitionsToOn 7 2. PC wakes up automatically from sleep state after...
  5. Strange issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange issue: My machine seemingly randomly makes the device disconnected chime. Anyone else have this problem. submitted by /u/Beezlebub405 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fj82na/strange_issue/
  6. Strange issue related to DNS after sleep mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange issue related to DNS after sleep mode: Hi, I'm facing a strange issue for a couple of months now. When my computer wakes up from sleep mode internet is impossible to reach for like 5 minutes. And I think it is related to DNS resolution since I can ping and access to ip adresses. Only domains resolution doesn't...
  7. Strange issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange issue: I have very strange issue. In Monday I opened very image heavy page. The processor went to 90% and the memory over 2GB. Appeared a continuous sound like when I disconnect and connect USB deice. The keyboard stopped writing then continued and so on. When I closed the heavy...
  8. Strange issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange issue: Greetings, I have a strange issue with my PC lately. It occurs when I'm playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive around 6-12 PM. My PC restarts randomly around that time, only WHEN I'm playing that game, and ONLY around that time interval. I've checked with EventViewer...
  9. Strange monitor flaw

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Strange monitor flaw: This is a minor quirk I've lived with for years on my XP PC but it's become worse in Win 10. My Ilyama Prolite E2403WS 24" monitor is set to its recommended resolution of 1920 x 1200, and naturally that's supposed to be located at (0,0). But in XP it was always at (-4,-4)...
  10. Strange issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange issue: Touchpad works fine but during gaming, responds either slowly or won't. How can I tackle this issue? 37436