Windows 10: Strange things going on when using my browser. Help!

Discus and support Strange things going on when using my browser. Help! in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have a very strange situation. Here is event sequence. From the time I was forced to do a factory reinstallation my bookmarks had to be... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by chipwood, Mar 19, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

Strange things going on when using my browser. Help!

I have a very strange situation. Here is event sequence.
    From the time I was forced to do a factory reinstallation my bookmarks had to be reconstructed
    This morning I browsed to the Citizens Advice pages to check on a matter of consumer law, and having got the info, continued other activities. Later to find that the Citizens Advice page had become the opening page of Chrome rather than Google. It seemed impossible to correct.
    Thinking I could be infected, I first downloaded Panda, and when the download gave trouble, tried to get it via FileHippo, which is acting like the Citizens Advice above.
    As far as my bookmarks are concerned, something else odd has happened: the new list has been replaced by the one that existed before the reinstallation. However Yahoo Search (x2) is now showing along with Google on opening the Chrome browser.
    I have scanned with AVG, the only thing that gave no problem, cleared history and Chrome cache.
    Although this computer is being replaced soon, I can’t accept it as is until then. I hope you can help me find a solution; please!

:)

chipwood, Mar 19, 2017
  2. patc---01 Win User

PC Sync and locked phone, any suggestions?

I have the same problem with my N80 - strange thing is that other PC-Suite things like the phone browser still work when the phone is locked.

patc---01, Mar 19, 2017
  3. mobildk Win User
    Cannot go on the internet on my 5800 xm

I cant go on the internet on my 5800 xm. One day my browser would not allow my to go on the internet. This it how i do : i go in to the menu, then press internet and then internet again in the internet menu, when i do the last press on the internet button
    its loading in 1 second and then goes back to the internet menu. but the strange thing is that i hat setup an email account on my hotmail and that works. that means i cannot go on the internet but on my email. I think maybe there is something wrong when i
    go on a internet browser because my connection is fine.

Maybe i have accidently deleted some data files, that i need to get on the internet trough a browser.

Is a firmware reset possible??

mobildk, Mar 19, 2017
  4. Strange things going on when using my browser. Help!

Hi chipwood.

I won't say I understand situation entirely but have a few questions.

When you start Chrome how many start pages (home pages) do you get?

In settings under the "On Startup" section how do you have this configured?

Where does Yahoo Search (x2) with Google show? Are these tabs or bookmarks?

Caledon Ken, Mar 19, 2017
  5. chipwood Win User
    They were tabs. I did find that i had Google in settings twice as home page. All is now well, but the mystery of the return of the old bookmarks remains. I shall leave that aside now, as some strange things are going on with the tracking of my Dell order.

chipwood, Mar 20, 2017
  6. If you sign into chrome your bookmarks are kept in the "Cloud" and will become available.

Do you sign into Chrome?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 20, 2017
  7. chipwood Win User
    I am signed in a.t.m., at least my name is in top r.h. corner. I think you have solved my confusion. I think that after I did the factory reinstallation I omitted to log in, and it was only when I had reinserted all my email settings incl. Gmail that I did log in.
    Thanks for jogging my forgetttery!*SmileI

chipwood, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Strange things going on when using my browser. Help!

1. Strange things going on when using my browser. Help! - Similar Threads - Strange things going

2. Strange things happening on my PC.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange things happening on my PC.: how can I see who is logged in with my account on my company PC or another PC using my account? We are on a network, so I guess anybody could login with other accounts.Today, all of a sudden Photoshop was deleted from my computer. I literally used it 1 hour before. Strange...
  3. When these things going back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When these things going back?: List of disappears.Cannot remove showing date in taskbar.Cannot resize taskbar icons.Cannot disable show more options in context menu to visible full menu instead of short.Rounded corners of windows look crooked on old programs.Cannot change taskbar location. Need top.Cannot...
  4. When these things going back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When these things going back?: List of disappears.Cannot remove showing date in taskbar.Cannot resize taskbar icons.Cannot disable show more options in context menu to visible full menu instead of short.Rounded corners of windows look crooked on old programs.Cannot change taskbar location. Need top.Cannot...
  5. Notepad doing strange thing!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notepad doing strange thing!: Today is bit more lazy day. So I did a very stupid thing. I wrote zeroes of whole text file. Then I finally surprised! It stuck and on task manager I saw it takes upto 2.4 GB of RAM. So I stop writing it and saved it to text file. Then, it's 1.21GB text file. I couldn't read...
  6. Strange things happening at bootup

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange things happening at bootup: When I start my HP laptop with WIN10, after the bootup screen appears, if I am not prompt to hit one key to advance me to my login PIN, strange things happen. Like: old pages showing up, some containing sensitive material. Others are just various pages that I have visited in...
  7. Event viewer strange things(?)

in Windows 10 Support
    Event viewer strange things(?): Hi, in my event viewer several keys (name or description) are missing or are using weird codes instead of words, should I reinstall or use an older image? Is it broken and needs some fixing? [img] Thanks! 154621
  8. Some Strange Things Going on With Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Some Strange Things Going on With Defender: This has been going on for so long now I think I may have some sort of malware. I have a red cross on anti virus in security centre and on the task bar shield. In settings it tells me I am using third party anti virus but I have used every dedicated AV uninstaller. I have...
  9. Strange Event When Going to Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Strange Event When Going to Safe Mode: I have two Windows 10 machines (both are 1709) and one is acting strangely. When I click Settings and go to the recovery area to initiate "Boot in to Safe Mode" it does restart, but then all I see is a black screen. Now this happens within 10 minutes of the machine being on....
  10. Strange things sometimes happen when waking up.

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange things sometimes happen when waking up.: My computer auto sleeps just fine with my 30 sleep timer. When I go to wake it up tho, about a third of the the time I get something weird. Sometimes, the fans come back on but the screen never wakes up (hit the reset button and reboot). The strangest one is that the screen...