Windows 10: Strange UAC Problem

Discus and support Strange UAC Problem in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; We have an Asus T100 netbook with Windows 10 and three user accounts. Let's call them WifeAdmin, Wife and Husband. I log onto the computer as WifeAdmin... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by pencat12, May 10, 2016.

1. pencat12 Win User

Strange UAC Problem

We have an Asus T100 netbook with Windows 10 and three user accounts. Let's call them WifeAdmin, Wife and Husband. I log onto the computer as WifeAdmin and if I try to do anything that requires administrator privileges I get a popup that asks for the password for Husband. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the Husband password. I have both the WifeAdmin and Wife passwords and am logged in as WifeAdmin, so why am I required to enter the Husband password?

Since I don't have the Husband password, the computer is basically a brick. The Wi-Fi adapter is disabled and it takes an administrator privilege to enable it. I'm logged on as an administrator but can't enable it without an non-administrator password!!! I really need some help with this, I'm totally lost here.

:)

pencat12, May 10, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Unable to launch Microsoft Photos

A lot of users erroneously disable UAC (User Account Control) in Control Panel - Accounts, to stop the UAC dialog popping up every time they access a strange file or application. What they do not know disabling UAC causes Windows Store and most of the Windows
    Apps not to work and certainly stops Windows Apps updating.

DaveM121, May 10, 2016
  3. UAC prompt asks to enter password in Windows 10

Original title: UAC prompts

Hi Microsoft!

Something strange has happened to the UAC prompts on my PC.

As you can see in the screenshot, the UAC prompt is asking me to enter a password BUT there is no other account on the PC.

Strange UAC Problem [​IMG]

Can you PLEASE help me?

UAC prompts are disabled.

And there is no option to add another user to the PC.

irinelonofrei, May 10, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Strange UAC Problem

I've tried to replicate your scenario but it's simply not possible. I am sure, totally convinced that either you are mistaken and the account WifeAdmin really is and has been a standard account, not admin, or that the user Husband has somehow promoted his user account to admin and demoted you to standard user.

An admin account in Windows 10 simply does not ask admin credentials of another local admin. The fact that you are asked the credentials of user Husband clearly tells that this user is an admin; Windows UAC will never ever ask credentials of a standard user.

To check the situation, open Settings > Accounts > Your info. See the screenshot below, an admin user at left with two telltales to see he's an admin, word Administrator under the username (and email address if an MS account), and possibility to manage Family & other users on left pane. If you can see these telltales, your account is an admin account and you should not be prompted credentials of another local admin.

At right the same user demoted to standard user. You can see that both telltales are missing. If this is your case as I suspect, you really need to get the user Husband to promote you to admin.

Strange UAC Problem [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)

5. pencat12 Win User
    Kari, you are correct. But it was never supposed to be that way and we never even thought to look at that. The account was named WifeAdmin because it was always supposed to be an admin account and it was definitely set up that way initially. We always "knew" that it was an admin account. Neither of us know how it got changed to a standard account.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've got it all sorted out now.

pencat12, May 11, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Strange UAC Problem

1. Strange UAC Problem - Similar Threads - Strange UAC Problem

2. UAC PROBLEMS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC PROBLEMS: UAC WILL NOT ME INSTALL PC GAMES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uac-problems/f92b4f3b-7e68-49fa-a858-85ded6ac1995
  3. UAC PROBLEMS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UAC PROBLEMS: UAC WILL NOT ME INSTALL PC GAMES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uac-problems/f92b4f3b-7e68-49fa-a858-85ded6ac1995
  4. UAC PROBLEMS

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  6. Strange Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange Problem: The strangest thing just happened, I was trying to go into a zoom meeting but every time I clicked on the link, I got a download instead of new window to take me to the meeting. A moment later, I tried to copy the zoom link only to realize that the keyboard had stopped...
  7. Small UAC problem.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Small UAC problem.: Afternoon all.. particularly try 3 ?. A little while ago I set up a NewAdminPrimary account the password for which has been opening downloads fine....BUT now I am getting the message that the password has expired and must be changed !.. If I remember rightly it was a...
  8. UAC problems

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC problems: I have UAC problems. I want to turn it off but I need admin rights. So I switched user to admin, turned it off, and log on on my account but there it isnt. When I want to turn it off from that acc, I cant cuz I need admin right. What is going on? 15917
  9. UAC Problems.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    UAC Problems.: Bree !.. Thanks from me ( 'the struggler ') also. I've updated Windows and look forward to my next effort !. Alan .
  10. Problem with UAC; Permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with UAC; Permissions: Hello. I have big problem with permissions on my account with Admins permissions. I need help. So, I can't install programs and open programs that need Administrator permissions, because UAC window (like this:) [img] Appear only for 0,5 secs, disappear and then...