Windows 10: Strange update behaviour

Discus and support Strange update behaviour in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have two PC's, my wife's and my own, both upgraded on line from 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The only difference is that my wife's PC is 32-bit and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TopGeek, Jan 13, 2016.

1. TopGeek Win User

Strange update behaviour

I have two PC's, my wife's and my own, both upgraded on line from 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The only difference is that my wife's PC is 32-bit and mine is 64-bit. Yesterday, my wife called me to say that something strange happened when she booted her PC and that it was now displaying a 'funny' screen. I went to see what was happening and found an Insider-like screen indicating that an update was under way. I left it to continue, went back an hour later and the PC had gone to sleep. When I woke it, the blue Windows logo appeared with the rotating circle of dots underneath but it didn't seem to move on. After five minutes, I decided to do a manual reboot and all seemed normal except for a notification saying that CCleaner had been removed as it is not compatible with Insider. What? Insider has never been installed on that PC. Winver confirmed that the installed version is OS build 10586.63.
    Today, my PC updated to the same version, without any Insider screen and without removal of CCleaner. I guess I will just have to re-install CCleaner on my wife's PC and see what happens.
    Is there any logical explanation for this difference in update behaviour?

:)

TopGeek, Jan 13, 2016

2. strange behaviour of cortona

i couldn't be able to open cortona, microsoft edge, store and notification icons on task bar suddenly please suggest me how to sort it out as soon as possible

gududuruabhilasha, Jan 13, 2016
  3. Cortana strange behaviours

My pc's microphone works just fine in every app. Cortana reacts to "Hey Cortana" but just answers me, after 1 second or so, "Sorry, I can't hear anything".

Also, searching something on the web on Cortana and clicking on it, won't open Microsoft Edge. Also search results on the right pane won't click.

gabrielerizzo, Jan 13, 2016
  4. TopGeek Win User

Strange update behaviour

CCleaner re-installed without any difficulty.

TopGeek, Jan 15, 2016
  5. TopGeek Win User
    I don't understand why I am getting absolutely no reponse to this perfectly reasonable question. Has nobody else ever seen this strange update behaviour? I've searched and have found nothing.
    Surely someone has some ideas.

TopGeek, Jan 16, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Probably not, 10586.63 is not insider version any more. Look at Settings > Update & Security > Advanced Options and see if it's Insider version by some chance.
    Almost every larger update proclaims some programs as not compatible, Ccleaner is not only one. Reinstalling that program usually restores functionality.

CountMike, Jan 17, 2016
  7. TopGeek Win User
    Thanks for your response. On my wife's PC, under Update & Security, Advanced Options, I see that there were six items updated on 13 Jan. None of them mention Insider and Get Insider Previews has not been selected. The previous version was 10586.36 and is now 10586.63. What I can't figure out is why the update was running with an Insider update screen, removed CCleaner "because it is not compatible with Insider" and yet still ended up with the non-Insider version.
    As a reasonably technical user, I am completely baffled by this.

TopGeek, Jan 17, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

Strange update behaviour

Really baffling, I could only guess as much as you. I have been insider since the very beginning, never on retail edition.

CountMike, Jan 17, 2016
  9. TopGeek Win User
    Ah well, maybe the update techies got some of the modules mixed up. I guess we'll never know.

I am on the Insider prog but on another PC.

TopGeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Strange update behaviour

1. Strange update behaviour - Similar Threads - Strange update behaviour

2. Windows optional update and strange behaviour

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows optional update and strange behaviour: OS: Windows 10, version 2004 Japanese Browser Firefox updated Drivers updated Windows updated. Since the auto Window update to version 2004 I was facing some problems but now I have noticed after Optional program update I see various suggestions appears on screen. No...
  3. Strange LAN speed behaviour

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange LAN speed behaviour: I currently have 3 computers with windows 10 installed (2 laptops and 1 desktop) and I have a contract for Gigabit internet (1000 down/200 up). On the two laptops, using a LAN connection, speed is just fine at around 850/900 mbit/s. My desktop pc is a whole other story For...
  4. Strange behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange behaviour: I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a very strange thing happening with my computer. My monitor will just all of a sudden go black, then a message saying "no signal". My computer does no power down or restart, but at the same time I can do nothing with...
  5. Skype's strange behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skype's strange behaviour: Win 10 Pro now ver 1909 build 18363.720 I have used Skype over different OS and got the latest version when I installed 10 over a year ago. It didn't work well as an App, so I adopted the Desktop version when prompted a few months later. Since then it has been working OK but...
  6. Store update strange behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Store update strange behaviour: So a little earlier I did my usual routine of boot pc and open store app. I always manually check for updates to apps. One come up for store app itself. I clicked update but rather than do its normal close the store app and re launch on completion store app stayed open. In...
  7. Strange signin behaviour

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Strange signin behaviour: I changed my Windows signin to a 4 digit login, which works fine.... today i I noticed there were two signin options for my user account , exactly the same name, plus one other I have for a family member. i chose one of ' my' accounts and it asked for a password, I tried...
  8. strange laptop behaviour after major update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    strange laptop behaviour after major update: I installed Win 10 pro for a friend and the install went fine. It checked for updates and did KB3194623, 3197099 and 3176937 (one said upgrade) When it rebooted, the WIn 10 logo showed for a bit then there was just a blank screen no matter how long I waited. The only way I...
  9. Strange IP Behaviour

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange IP Behaviour: I live in Kolkata and use a Wishnet Unlimited Plan from my LCO - Tariff : Wish Net Private Limited : Best Broadband in Kolkta for the past few days whenever I try to access a few sites, I have to pass the cloudflare security check " One more step Please complete the...
  10. Strange behaviour on installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange behaviour on installation?: Hi, I have started installation/upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10 on my sisters laptop. She have the same MS account on the second gaming computer. The strange things that happend is that the gaming computer just got Windows 10 too, she had 8.1 and yes of course I wanted to...