Windows 10: Strange video playback issues, no clue why

Discus and support Strange video playback issues, no clue why in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello guys, this is my first post here. I'm experiencing occasional stutter when watching 4K (even 720p/1080p @ 60 FPS) videos both on YouTube and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iamnewhere, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Strange video playback issues, no clue why

Hello guys, this is my first post here.

I'm experiencing occasional stutter when watching 4K (even 720p/1080p @ 60 FPS) videos both on YouTube and files downloaded on my SSD, with MPC-HC. On YouTube (Chrome), I've been dropping frames on heavier videos. The likes of 4K/60P, but the ones that are 4K/24/30P seem to be perfect with 0 drops. The 60FPS (even 720p/1080p) ones are a different story.

My CPU is Intel Core i7 6700K, and as far as I know, it supports smooth playback at 4K and 60 frames per second. My internet connection is also pretty good ~60-80mbps. I also want to note that I'm using the integrated graphics card on the CPU, as I do not have a dedicated one currently.

I opened Task Manager 5 minutes ago, and I noticed that every time there's frame drops, my CPU usage spikes up. Please, take a look at this screenshot:

http://postimg.org/image/r9pnl6f4v/full/

Why does this happen? Isn't the CPU powerful enough to play 4K/60P buttery smooth? Why the spikes?

A few quick notes - all system drivers updated, latest bios, no overclocks, everything's stock, no other tabs in Chrome, no other apps running, @ High Performance, CPU temps are perfect ( low 20s, even 18-19c when Idle - when watching those videos - no more than 50-60c). Tried other browsers - no change. Tried flash - worse.

I just noticed that even on videos that are 720/1080 @ 60FPS it stills drops a lot of frames, even though CPU usage is like 10-15%... I even tried switching the codec - from VP9 to MP4/VC1 (through an YouTube extension), and it still drops frames. So it mustn't be the codec either. It doesn't matter if it's full screen or not. I guess there's ALSO a problem with the videos being 60 frames per second. I just ran a 4K@30P video for 40 minutes on repeat and there wasn't a single frame drop, so yeah.. what the hell.

- A video example that drops frames in YouTube. It also stutters on the computer with MPC-HC.

Can anyone clarify if the 6700K is/isn't powerful enough to play 4K60P perfectly (on its own)? Maybe I need a dedicated graphics card too, in order to play those video smoothly? Because if the iGPU is helping, which I assume it is, since Hardware Acceleration is enabled (and when I disabled it, clips got completely unwatchable).. this should mean that it's not strong enough to help out the CPU. Which leads to the conclusion (if that's true) that you definitely need a dedicated graphics card for stutter-free playback and no dropped frames, especially at 60P. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope that I've been clear enough with my issue and I want to thank in advance anyone who might chime in!

:)

iamnewhere, Mar 22, 2016
  2. Wind6.0 Win User

Can't set Headphones to Default Device

I've discovered that by disabling the headphones in the playback menu, it plays your sounds through the headphones. You don't set them to default playback, you just get rid of it completely... no clue why that is how it is, but hope I helped anyone who
    still has this issue.

Wind6.0, Mar 22, 2016
  3. xmichael Win User
    s40v3 video 320x240

It's strange that older 6233 can play even 640x480 mpeg4 video! Please Nokia add 320x240 playback to 5300!

xmichael, Mar 22, 2016
  4. PJLLB Win User

Strange video playback issues, no clue why

That CPU should play video with no issues. What brand/model is your motherboard?

PJLLB, Mar 24, 2016
  5. @PJLLB ASRock Z170 Pro4

iamnewhere, Mar 24, 2016
  6. PJLLB Win User
    I presume you're running the video driver from the vendor web site? If it were me I would uninstall the video driver and let Windows find the hardware and reinstall the driver. Something seems hosed. This motherboard and CPU are very capable and video should be better than that. FYI I have an Asus P8P67 LE with an Intel i5-2500K CPU (I know it's kind of old but it still works great) with a new NVidia GeForce 750 Ti running at full 3840x2160 60Hz into a Dell P2715Q 4K monitor and all video (streaming and local) is flawless. You should be getting great video with your hardware.

PJLLB, Mar 24, 2016
  7. @PJLLB - I have done all that, and then some. I've tried all possible drivers. I know that they're capable, that's what's bothering me. I think it has something to do with tweaking the codecs, but I'm not sure.

iamnewhere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Strange video playback issues, no clue why

1. Strange video playback issues, no clue why - Similar Threads - Strange video playback

2. video playback is having issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    video playback is having issues: I'm have trouble viewing videos the videos appear with left half of the screen ok but the right half is blurred.? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-playback-is-having-issues/86efc3fc-66c3-4b20-b54d-f7197fb67533
  3. video playback is having issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    video playback is having issues: I'm have trouble viewing videos the videos appear with left half of the screen ok but the right half is blurred.? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-playback-is-having-issues/86efc3fc-66c3-4b20-b54d-f7197fb67533
  4. Video playback scaling issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video playback scaling issue: We are running PowerPoint 2019 through HDMI to a video projector to display slides and video during our church's worship services. Using a program by Telestream called Desktop Presenter, we are sending the image off the screen feeding the projector to our live streaming...
  5. Video playback issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Video playback issues: Hey all, I have MSI 2080ti and noticed that after installing geforce drivers, I have video playback issues, for example in hulu app or web there is black screen with sound only, no video. Also in youtube, videos are playing corrupted like this: https://imgur.com/KN2jKSS...
  6. Video playback issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video playback issues: I'm one of the many, many, many people seeing the video glitch with Windows 10. I play a video, or a .gif file, and it gets zoomed in to a pixellated mess, and I'm left staring at (for instance) Philip DeFranco's mouth, and nothing else. At least, I think it's his mouth. Hard...
  7. Video playback issues.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Video playback issues.: Whenever I try to watch a video on YouTube, the video will display the buffering circle. If the video is from an ad, the video screen will display a blank green screen. Audio for all videos works, just the image itself doesn't. I have windows 10, and let my computer install...
  8. Video Playback issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Video Playback issues: I have Windows 10 and this issue happens on the Edge browser and my other browser Google Chrome. You tube videos, the video ads that play on Microsoft games, and videos on windows opened within websites are zoomed in so close that you can't make out what is playing. This...
  9. Video playback issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Video playback issues: I recently built a brand new computer and am having issues with local video playback. YouTube video playback works perfectly fine but any local players like the Films & TV app, Windows Media Player and even VLC stutter and lag maybe every 10 seconds inconsistently. All...
  10. Video Playback Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Playback Issues: I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. I have an Intel HD Graphics card and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 735M. I have had an issue for a couple of months when viewing videos or footage from my built-in camera. Half of the screen appears fine, but the other half is filled with horizontal...