Windows 10: Struggling to Back Up using Windows 10 Settings Utility

Discus and support Struggling to Back Up using Windows 10 Settings Utility in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am seeking to back-up my Windows 10 Pro PC's hard drive to an external Iomega hard drive. Space not an issue. C drive is 165MB and there is 1TB of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GordonTaylor3, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Struggling to Back Up using Windows 10 Settings Utility

I am seeking to back-up my Windows 10 Pro PC's hard drive to an external Iomega hard drive. Space not an issue. C drive is 165MB and there is 1TB of space on the Iomega which is formatted to NTFS (default). I am using the backup utility accessed via Windows Settings. Nothing is happening!

I go: Windows Settings / Update & Security / Backup (using file history). Getting into the Options below that level, it defaults to my own files and the public folders. I’d ideally back up all files on the C drive – both mine and the rest of the family’s.

BUT whether it’s “just me” or “all of C”, if I “back up now” it starts to do its thing for a few seconds then gives up. Nothing writing to the external drive BUT I can save individual files to it. External drive seems OK. I have also managed a System Image Back Up via Control Panel but I really want to do a “files only” back up too.

Is this a common error? How can I get the Windows utility to work?

The PC is a Dell XPS 8500. It is of some vintage; maybe 6 / 7 years old but is working well. I’ve been happy to save critical files to a USB key to date BUT am about to start a postgrad course at Uni, lots of files to save down / produce so I need a more robust approach now.

Thanks

Gordon

:)

GordonTaylor3, Sep 4, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 4, 2018
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Sep 4, 2018
  4. Arul_D Win User

Struggling to Back Up using Windows 10 Settings Utility

GrooveMonitor Utility on fresh copy of windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As I understand that groove monitor utility is running as a startup process on a windows 10 computer which you have not installed.

I would suggest you to check the file location of groove monitor utility and check where is the file location it has been installed.

Follow the steps to find the file location of the particular process.

• Press Alt + Ctrl + Delete

• Open task manager

• Click on Process tab

• Right click on Groove Monitor Utility and click on file location
    Reply us back with more information. We will be happy to assist you.

Arul_D, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

Struggling to Back Up using Windows 10 Settings Utility

1. Struggling to Back Up using Windows 10 Settings Utility - Similar Threads - Struggling using Settings

2. About Backing Up Apps Using Windows Back Up app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About Backing Up Apps Using Windows Back Up app: As well as using Windows Back Up to back up folders, apps, settings and credentials, here's one question that I'd like to ask:Does Windows Back Up back up not only Microsoft Store apps and pinned app preferences but also Win32 apps? For example, Win32 apps are like Steam and...
  3. About Backing Up Apps Using Windows Back Up app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About Backing Up Apps Using Windows Back Up app: As well as using Windows Back Up to back up folders, apps, settings and credentials, here's one question that I'd like to ask:Does Windows Back Up back up not only Microsoft Store apps and pinned app preferences but also Win32 apps? For example, Win32 apps are like Steam and...
  4. Back up settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up settings: My backup settings aren't working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-settings/ad5a95d6-fd9f-4846-88dc-596763907d93
  5. Backing up WiFi settings in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backing up WiFi settings in windows 10: Hi All, Just wondering if there is a way to backup all the connection settings used by my WiFi on my laptop, I have to restore them onto another laptop but do not want to loose all the logins and settings. If I could export them to a folder it would be a great help....
  6. Aptio Set-up utility on restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Aptio Set-up utility on restart: Hi, I recently performed a clean installation of windows 10 on my MSI GE726QD laptop, through windows installation media on a USB. I've come across a problem where whenever I click restart in power options it brings me back to aptio set up utility BIOS, I can however restart...
  7. setting up back up account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    setting up back up account: I am trying to set up a cloud back up account. I enter my email and it accepts it but never brings up the next page. How do I get past this page so I can set up a back up against malware?...
  8. Windows 10 Struggles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Struggles: I am looking to see if anyone else out here has to go through the same amount of hoops as I do, every time Windows 10 forces an update? Without fail, every update has caused me significant issue. The worst being an update freeze on the first day of my vacation this past...
  9. Windows 10 set to Japanese - struggling to get it to English

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 set to Japanese - struggling to get it to English: So some how, my friend has set his default language to Japanese. I've tried to follow youtube guides, but the windows 10 version is a little different. Is there i can do this via powershell to get it back to English, or something i can run please? Its hard to follow the...
  10. Windows 10 Tune up utils?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Tune up utils?: What do others recommend using as the best Windows 10 tune up/optimiser utility? I'm currently using Boostspeed but wondered what others were using and why? 75498