Windows 10: Struggling to get W10 to use external HD during Update

Discus and support Struggling to get W10 to use external HD during Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just bought an ASUS netbook/tablet and it is saying W10 needs updating but there is insufficient disk space ( needs 8G apparently). I have followed a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Boca, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Boca Win User

Struggling to get W10 to use external HD during Update

Just bought an ASUS netbook/tablet and it is saying W10 needs updating but there is insufficient disk space ( needs 8G apparently).
    I have followed a couple of on-line guides and tried adding a 32G micro-SD card, 16 G USB and 1T external HDD but W10 does not seem to recognise any of these for use during the upgrade process. ( Each of these IS available in File Explorer for "normal" use.

Any tips and/or advice gratefully received

:)

Boca, Aug 2, 2018

2. W10 with "Storage Spaces" and external HD

After the latest update, when I plug in an external HD it gets renamed to something like "Test to check for updating to W10"and I get a report of storage problems. The HD has my system backups on it but they are not available, there is a random selection
    of my files showing in explorer.

Google shows others have similar problems. The common factors seem to be: W10 creators, Storage Spaces and an external HD.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

JohnRussell200, Aug 2, 2018
  3. After W10 Anniversaryupdate, external HD not recognized

I have three WD external harddisks on my system, two are recognized after W10 anniversary update but the third (biggest and most recent, USB3, used for backup) is gone. Windows on this pc does not see anything. If I plug something else in same port, it gets
    recognized and installed. Dirve - nothing. Drive light does come on, then nothing.

Rolled back update - still no HD. Changed USB ports - all working, printer, smaller external HD's working also on different ports. Re-started several times, no change.

BUT: WD system works fine when plugged in on Lenovo laptop with W10 anniversary editions. Dat accessible, normal NTFS.

No error messages on USB port drivers in system management panels.

Any ideas? Other drives too small to serve as backup....

TIA

Frans

Frans_C_Cornelis, Aug 2, 2018
  4. Jelo Sen Win User

EXTERNAL HD

Hello,

To better assist you with connecting your external Hard Drive to your device, we appreciate it if you can answer the following questions:

• Have you checked the status of the drive in Device Manager?
    • Have you tried updating the driver?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest running Microsoft easy fix by going to this link:

Find and fix problems with devices and hardware

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Struggling to get W10 to use external HD during Update - Similar Threads - Struggling W10 external

2. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  3. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  4. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BITLOCKER EXTERNAL HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BITLOCKER EXTERNAL HD: just spent $1000 restoring an old E-HD that turns out to actually be locked by bitlocker I have no memory of setting this god aweful program up on an old computer 10 years ago. Now there's no way to access this drive even after rescuing the data - there is no Password or...
  6. Getting External HD to work in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting External HD to work in Windows 10: How can we use Windows 10 to make a backup of an external hard drive? I have a Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive and wish to back this up regularly, to another Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive, so that I always have an identical copy of the same Hard Drive. Is...
  7. External HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HD: External HD is recognized but does not appear in My Computer on Windows 10 PRO system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hd/d98debb3-1b03-42de-9643-d5d53ad30a5e
  8. Format Question, Please (W10, WD External HD)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format Question, Please (W10, WD External HD): Hi, Thanks for all the previous help. Super Forum and folks. Found an "old" WD 1 TPB external HD. Bought it about a yr ago. Know nothing about its history, but would like to erase everything on it, and use in my Mac or W10 pc. Mac wont recognize it in the normal...
  9. Format Question, Please (W10, WD External HD)

in Windows 10 Support
    Format Question, Please (W10, WD External HD): Hi, Thanks for all the previous help. Super Forum and folks. Found an "old" WD 1 TPB external HD. Bought it about a yr ago. Know nothing about its history, but would like to erase everything on it, and use in my Mac or W10 pc. Mac wont recognize it in the normal...
  10. External HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External HD: 1. I have a external HD that is compatible with windows 7 or 8. When I upgrade to windows 10 will I still be able to use it? 2. Can I download windows 10 ISO to a external HD and then install windows 10 right off of that same external HD? 16269