Windows 10: Stuck at splash screen, can't boot from USB or DVD

Discus and support Stuck at splash screen, can't boot from USB or DVD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Symptoms: Windows infinite circle of dots when booting. (PC was a fresh install months ago, and was working fine until returning from vacation).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mrpumpkin, Nov 4, 2016.

1. mrpumpkin Win User

Stuck at splash screen, can't boot from USB or DVD

Symptoms:

Windows infinite circle of dots when booting. (PC was a fresh install months ago, and was working fine until returning from vacation).

Hard drive light goes solid during attempts to boot (during splash screen).

Diagnostic repair begins to load, but never completes (Using shift Key to boot or 3 hard resets), again, solid HD light

Repairs attempted:

Downloaded Windows Creation tool to both USB and DVD. Attempts to boot (splash circles), then black screen, and solid HD light.

Reset Bios to defaults
    Disabled fast boot in Bios
    Changed boot order to 1) USB Flash drive 2) DVD 3) System hard drive

Specs: (This is not my PC, so this is what I know)

i3 6100 using on board graphics
    16 gig ram
    MSI MB
    Samsung SSD
    UEFI

At this point I can not even reformat, as the USB and dvd boot, but do not load. I am not familiar with SSD failure symptoms, but the fact that I am able to get to the splash screen would indicate that it is working.

At a loss as what to try next.

Summary:

Can't load windows past the splash
    Can't boot from USB or DVD past the splash
    All attempts lead to a solid light on the SSD

I

:)

mrpumpkin, Nov 4, 2016

2. All of a sudden I can't log on at startup

Thank you. Unfortunately, I created a Bootable Windows 10 ISO file on a DVD but apparently I did something wrong because it's not booting from it. I'm able to use F12 to change the boot order, and set it so the CD/DVD drive would be first. The system
    doesn't recognize it and instead proceeds to boot from the hard drive. Is there something different I should be doing?

I can't get to any screens other than the initial splash screen where I must enter a logon password.

PaulBrawner, Nov 4, 2016
  3. Changing OS architecture.

I just re-downloaded the installation media on a different USB and used a different port. And yes I have changed the boot order to USB. But the boot still gets stuck at the logo.

The USB gets recognized, tries to boot, but then gets stuck at Windows Logo Splash screen.

My PC processor is x64 based and so are all components compatible (if u need it).

Divyanshu Sharma, Nov 4, 2016
  4. AddRAM Win User

Download a fresh iso file and use Rufus for the stick or this simple program for the dvd, burned at the slowest possible speed.

Free ISO Burner

Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

"Downloaded Windows Creation tool to both USB and DVD"

To do what ? Did you create a new installer ?

Hold down the shift key while you reboot the PC, does it even let you get to the Recovery screen ?

AddRAM, Nov 4, 2016
  5. mrpumpkin Win User
    Do you know why the HD drive light would go solid?

mrpumpkin, Nov 4, 2016
  6. AddRAM Win User
    SSD`s do not have lights on them.

Do you mean the hard drive activity light ?

Since this is not your PC I would start asking the user some questions.

AddRAM, Nov 4, 2016
  7. mrpumpkin Win User
    The case light indicating HD activity

mrpumpkin, Nov 4, 2016
  8. AddRAM Win User

Test it with another drive, any will do.

"Was working fine until returning from vacation" ????? What does this mean ???

Not your PC, who`s is it ? Where is the owner ?

Troubleshoot the problem 1 step at a time, Ahh the hard drive light stays on, let me see what happens with another hard drive etc.

Create a Linux OS flash drive, does the PC boot and run fine from it etc.

Your 1st mistake was making a bunch of changes to the bios, setting it to defaults is fine, but setting a usb to boot 1st is not a good idea because if that usb device is left in there it will boot from it over and over again.

Better to just use the one time boot menu key to bring up the boot menu.

AddRAM, Nov 4, 2016
  9. mrpumpkin Win User
    The PC was powered off for 3 weeks. The bios changes were done sequentially.

mrpumpkin, Nov 4, 2016
  10. mrpumpkin Win User
    Was able to boot in safe mode after creating a USB with RUFUS. Disabled all services on startup except MS. Was able to restart normally. Currently updating Windows and will see what happens upon reboot.

The update is ver 1607

mrpumpkin, Nov 4, 2016
  11. mrpumpkin Win User
    After the update, the PC seems to be booting normally. Thx to AddRam for the RUFUS advice. Nothing is more frustrating than not posting or being able to boot, and his advice got us past that.

mrpumpkin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Stuck at splash screen, can't boot from USB or DVD - Similar Threads - Stuck splash screen

2. Factory reset stuck and can't boot from usb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Factory reset stuck and can't boot from usb: Hi! I'm trying to factory reset a laptop that I've had for a few years. It was running windows 7, but when I factory reset it gave an option to change to windows 10 I think windows 10 was included when I bought it. After doing most of the steps it is stuck on the software...
  3. Getting stuck on bios splash screen while trying to boot off of windows USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Getting stuck on bios splash screen while trying to boot off of windows USB: This is a prebuilt PC with a B350M Bazooka. It has a hard drive, but I want to add an ssd. When I go to the boot menu and click on uefi USB, it brings me to a frozen screen, which you can see in the picture. I have tried unplugging the hdd to swap it with the ssd, but it...
  4. Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD: Hi all, I currently have the "Your PC needs to be repaired" error so I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 completely. I used Microsoft's bootable media to create both a bootable USB and DVD (I also tried using Rufus to format it) but both don't seem to boot properly. When I...
  5. Booting from USB stick or DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from USB stick or DVD: Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be...
  6. Can't boot from usb dvd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot from usb dvd: Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images . [img] [img] [img]...
  7. Both USB and DVD installer hang at initial splash

Both USB and DVD installer hang at initial splash: yesterday I downloaded the 10041 ISO from the Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO March Update - Microsoft Windows I installed by mounting the ISO into a VirtualBox and enjoyed having a look around. In fact I like it so much at my initial impression I decided to move into a...
  8. Boot From USB/DVD

Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...
  9. Can't boot x64 Win10 setup from USB or DVD

Can't boot x64 Win10 setup from USB or DVD: Trying to do a clean install booting from DVD or USB created w Media Creation Tool: Windows 7 x86 and x64 boots from DVD or USB Windows 10 x86, boots from DVD or USB. Windows 10 x64, from DVD loads the blue window and then nothing more. Have to switch off/on to get out...
  10. Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD: Hi My problem is that I can't access UEFI Firmware settings or Boot from USB/DVD in the Advanced startup. They are missing. What can I do? I want to go back to windows 8.1 (Don't have windows.old folder), but it gives me an error when I install it when windows is running....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows installation dvd stuck on splash screen