Windows 10: Stuck in a broken 1511

Discus and support Stuck in a broken 1511 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a machine with 1511 on it. Upgraded from 8.1 keeping files and applications. Was working fine. Then >10 MS tries at updating to 1607; all failed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alternety, May 5, 2017.

1. alternety Win User

Stuck in a broken 1511

I have a machine with 1511 on it. Upgraded from 8.1 keeping files and applications. Was working fine. Then >10 MS tries at updating to 1607; all failed with nothing useful I could understand displayed. I bought a new MB. Asus Maximus IX Hero. Moved 1511 to new MB and installed current drivers from Asus. Still not working. MS update attempts continue to fail. 1511 has also decided it is not properly activated. Got the activation resolved. Things got even worse.

I tried a 1607 ISO install. Failed. My intent was to try and get a repair without losing my programs/data.

I found an ISO of 1703 (seriously annoying, MS changed its' availability a few days before I tried to download it), went offline, uninstalled my security applications. After a bunch of doing something, the message came back that I could not install 1703 from an ISO.

So, maybe if I use a 1511 ISO to do a repair I can get somewhere. I can't seem to find a 1511 ISO. Is that a rational attempt to get this thing running.

Trying to use MS update fails because it only tries to do 1703.

Can anyone point me to a safe 1511 ISO? And make any other suggestions.

:)

alternety, May 5, 2017
  2. Garak Win User

display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Obviously, this has been a problem for me and many since the 1511 update. 1511 has broken a lot of things for me

Garak, May 5, 2017
  3. MY PHOTOS ARE STUCK IN A BROKEN PHONE!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that your phone is broken.

The phone appears to be on so I am not sure if a repair facility can assist if they replace the screen but if the pictures are that important it might be worth investigating. I know you indicated you did not want to send it in for repair but that might well
    prove to be the best choice.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, May 5, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Stuck in a broken 1511

Hi, as I understand this you are trying to keep programs and data and upgrade from 1511. All attempts to upgrade have failed and you don't have a 1511 iso.

I'm just wondering what happened when you swapped the MB. Did you then simply use the same hard disk with Windows and everything else installed on it, or do a clean install at that point?

Fortunately Windows is still running. So please try the following normal routine checks, even if you've done some before:

1. Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel and post a screenshot of its GUI for each disk installed.
    2. If OK, from an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. From an admin command prompt run
    sfc /scannow
    and report the result.

1511 iso: Pick carefully (must match base language of your installation - not any language pack you've installed- and x32 or x64)
    Microsoft Windows 10 TH2 ISO Download • Windows ISO

4. Please complete your system specs including disk details (see mine for comparison).

Meanwhile you may wish to consider examining the Windows update logs to see if there's anything of interest.

dalchina, May 5, 2017
Thema:

Stuck in a broken 1511

1. Stuck in a broken 1511 - Similar Threads - Stuck broken 1511

2. Stuck in recovery mode - winload.exe broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in recovery mode - winload.exe broken: Hello, recently my windows 10 desktop pc will boot in recovery mode showing the error code 0xc000000e and saying the file written below is missing or contains errorsFile: \Windows\system32\winload.exeError code: 0xc000000eI used an old laptop to make a windows 10 recovery...
  3. Stuck in recovery mode - winload.exe broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in recovery mode - winload.exe broken: Hello, recently my windows 10 desktop pc will boot in recovery mode showing the error code 0xc000000e and saying the file written below is missing or contains errorsFile: \Windows\system32\winload.exeError code: 0xc000000eI used an old laptop to make a windows 10 recovery...
  4. Stuck in recovery mode - winload.exe broken

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Broken 1511 - add VM and install Creators, then replace ?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Broken 1511 - add VM and install Creators, then replace ?: I have a 1511 install that simply does not work in any number of ways. Much time spent to trying to fix 1511. MS updates and support failed to fix. I have a plan. I would like to know if it is actually doable. Much reading; but I just want to sure. I have a backup of...
  6. Cumulative Update 1511 (KB3210721) stucks during restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cumulative Update 1511 (KB3210721) stucks during restart: Hello TF, Read some previous threads, but still couldn't resolve my problem. So, Cumulative Update 1511 (KB3210721) installs on background, then it asks for restart so "install can take effect". During restart updates fails at 17%, then it restarts, then it's "undoing...
  7. Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511

Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511: Hello all. Running windows 10 pro 64 bit. I've updated from Version 1511 to the anniversary update, 1607. Or at least, I thought I did. The update went well, no hiccups, no errors. Used windows update, let it downloaded and install and rebooted. Alas, system...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade to 1511 stuck at 64% (features 77%)

Windows 10 upgrade to 1511 stuck at 64% (features 77%): I really need some crucial help here. I am facing problems when it comes to upgrading to the newest version of Windows 10. It gets stuck at 64% (installing features and drivers at 77%). I don't seem to have an SD card, but Microsoft says it's recommended to remove it to fix...
  9. MKV playback on embedded Player broken after 1511

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MKV playback on embedded Player broken after 1511: anyone find that they can no longer play MKV format after the update? is there a fix, other than uninstalling it and using a real player? 32624
  10. Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?: I have Windows 10 Home version. It continually fails to install the 1511 upgrade. I have already spent lots of time on this and am concerned that successfully upgrading will require an inordinate amount of time and effort. An HP support person told me that it is not...