Windows 10: Stuck in diagnostic mode, PIN # not accepted, please help

Discus and support Stuck in diagnostic mode, PIN # not accepted, please help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had no issues with my computer prior. I simply was following some online suggestions for ways to reduce lag in an online game we like to play. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thytaysmom, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Stuck in diagnostic mode, PIN # not accepted, please help

I had no issues with my computer prior. I simply was following some online suggestions for ways to reduce lag in an online game we like to play. The suggestion was to turn diagnostic mode on, which I did. I shut my computer off and when I turned it back on and entered my PIN # it said it was incorrect, yet, it is indeed correct. This started a week worth of nonstop research on how to undo this mess. I can hold the shift key down while restarting my computer and I get a blue screen where I have several options. I have tried restarting my computer to previous version, does not work. I have gone to troubleshooting, advance, options and I get to the point that I can see a list of options like safe mode and etc. but cannot click on any options in the list, instead it says restart computer to get me to those options which when I restart takes me right back to the Windows login screen. I tried to pull up command prompt and it asks for my PIN # which it will not accept. I click on forgot password and it restarts PC and takes me right back to the windows login screen where my PIN is still not accepted. I try to get to safe mode, it asks for the user account and then the PIN # that again, it will not accept. I have turned the PC on and off 3 times to start the auto repair and it just takes me to the same screen as holding down the shift key when restarting. I don't know what else to do, I cannot get to safe mode because it requires a PIN # that it does not accept, I cannot get into command prompt because it requires a PIN # that again says is incorrect, I cannot get anywhere with any of the online options or directions I see that works for many people. WHAT DO I DO? Any help or suggestions??

:)

thytaysmom, Dec 3, 2017

2. Stuck in safe mode (Windows 10)

Please pay attention to the whole problem. We are stuck in Windows 10 SAFE MODE at the LOGIN SCREEN. We have been using our pin to login in normal mode for so long we forgot our regular password. Safe mode only accepts a password, it has no options for
    the pin code. When we try the option to go to the recovery tools by using <Shift-Restart> it give us choices but they all want a password to function.

MargieStanton, Dec 3, 2017
  3. Mark.Com Win User
    Windows 10 stuck in Safe Mode, Can't log in with my correct password

Was wondering if anyone figured out a way to sign in on safe mode with Window 10 yet. I’m stuck on the sign in page that won’t accept my pin or password. This is very frustrating and I’m starting to think I may need to purchase another computer. Please
    if anybody knows how to fix this problem please reply.

Mark.Com, Dec 3, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Stuck in diagnostic mode, PIN # not accepted, please help

It sounds like "diagnostic mode" put you into Safe Mode which ONLY accepts password to get out of. Is this device tied to a MS account or a Local ?

mrgeek, Dec 3, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    What PIN number? Also can you please break down your post into paragraphs. Along with exactly what the game is that you are having issues with. Game Lag can be caused by a slow Internet connection, too many users on a particular server, someone hosing a server on their home connection, the end user trying to run something in the background that is eating up CPU cycles.

bro67, Dec 3, 2017
  6. The blue screen with Advanced Options I get after pressing and holding the Shift key while restarting my PC matches what everyone describes as Safe Mode but, under Start Up Settings where Safe Mode is listed as several options, I had no option to actually select Safe Mode, I only had the option to restart my PC which when restarted opened up the Windows login screen where my PIN # is not accepted. Seems most everyone was able to restart and get a safe mode option(F4) they could click whereas I was unable to.

The game is Slither.io it seems to be most popular here with everyone yet it is the only game that lags so bad it can barely be played. Setting to diagnostic mode never did help with the game, but sure caused me a ton of stress, lesson learned!

I will try to break up my posts from here forward.
    The PIN# is for the WIndows login screen when I start my PC. Always worked until this happened. I cannot get access to my computer without the PIN# for Windows.

Here are the things I tried:
    *Opened Ease of Access icon in bottom right of Windows login screen, opened onboard keyboard, tried PIN#, still said incorrect.
    *Held Shift key down while restarting PC and a blue screen appeared with Advanced Options(Possibly Safe Mode even though I was in diagnostic mode??)
    *While on blue screen with all the menu options I tried:
    -Troubleshoot, repair PC, no success as it would restart my PC and the Windows login to enter my PIN# would then open
    -System Restore, same thing, would restart PC and Windows login screen appeared requiring my PIN#
    -Opening Command Prompt but it requires a PIN# for the user account which is the same as the login screen PIN# and will not accept
    -Go Back to Previous Version which was not successful as there are no previous versions
    -Forgot Password which the only option is to reset my PC which again takes me right back to the Windows login screen requiring my PIN# that is no longer accepted
    -Logging into my Windows account on my phone and changing my password but since this happened my PC now will not connect to the Internet, not wireless or via Ethernet so that did not work
    -Turning my PC on and off 3 times each time turning off before the Windows login screen loaded and I got an automatic repair screen that my pc would be automatically be repaired yet when it restarts my pc I get the Windows login requiring my PIN # again

*From what I read the Safe Mode option sounds and looks like what I had when I pressed the Shift key down while restarting my PC only when I would get to the Start Up Settings, Safe Mode was listed as an option yet could not be selected, my only option was to click restart and my pc was supposed to restart and allow me to then select Safe Mode(F4) as an option but upon restarting I got the Windows login screen again.
    *My PC is an HP and I ran the troubleshoot PC in the same Advanced Menu options on the blue screen and the same thing, PC restarts and I get the Windows login screen requiring my PIN#

It seems my only options that are left are to select to restore my PC to factory settings, meaning losing everything I have on my PC or, using System Image Recovery which would still mean installing a new Windows installation via USB because repair Windows does not work either, and again means I will lose everything on my PC.

Is there really no other way around this? I am at a lose what else to try.

thytaysmom, Dec 3, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    Can you get to command prompt when booting from USB installation media? Wait until it asks you where you want to install and then press Shift + F10 (don't install windows).

If you can then try to turn on safe mode using bcdedit. See option 3 here Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Then shut down pull out USB and restart. If you are in safe mode it will not ask for PIN - just password.

lx07, Dec 3, 2017
  8. Stuck in diagnostic mode, PIN # not accepted, please help

Log on PIN number I would think. I have my PC set to let me log in with a PIN number instead of password.

alphanumeric, Dec 3, 2017
  9. No, it only asks if I want to install Windows from the USB or repair WIndows and repair windows does not work as it simply restarts my PC and then I have the same issue. I cannot get into command prompt.

thytaysmom, Dec 3, 2017
  10. The login screen is for Windows 10. I was not given a choice to have a login screen with Windows 10, only the option to choose my PIN#. Had the exact same thing with my previous computer. It is not a chosen security measure. My PC is a HP and I can choose to create a sign in screen when turning on my computer which I choose not to create. This though, this is a Windows 10 login that pops up as soon as I turn on my PC that I did not choose, nor want. I have only had this with Windows 10.

thytaysmom, Dec 3, 2017
  11. What edition of Windows 10 are you running? For me, on the Windows 10 logon screen it asks for a PIN. I set it up to do that while installing Windows 10. Under the box where I enter my PIN is an option to switch it to accept my password. I can toggle it to password logon, can you do that?

Might be time to just give in and reinstall Windows.

alphanumeric, Dec 3, 2017
  12. Windows 10 Home. I did not have an option when setting up. I also do not have a box to switch between using password or PIN #. I know, I just do not want to lose all my pictures and work on my PC, but seems this may be my only option which is pretty upsetting. There needs to be a fix for this for sure.

thytaysmom, Dec 3, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

Did you press Shift-F10?

Don't click on repair (that never repairs anything) and don't click on install. When it asks you this question hold down the shift key and press F10.

If you boot from USB then Windows isn't running at all so you almost certainly should be able to get a command prompt irrespective of what has happened on your disk. In fact you could pull your disk out and still do it.

Whether setting safe mode will work is another matter but unless your device is encrypted you'll be able to.

14. I've installed just about every Edition of Windows 10 and always got an option to use a PIN, or skip it and log in with a password. Or log in with no password if I used a local account. Did you install the current version? If yes where did you get your install media from? Something's not adding up correctly?

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Stuck in diagnostic mode, PIN # not accepted, please help - Similar Threads - Stuck diagnostic mode

2. Windows 10 stuck on Diagnostic Mode, tried safe mode and it won’t accept my password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 stuck on Diagnostic Mode, tried safe mode and it won’t accept my password: Alright to make it short, yesterday I tried diagnostic startup since I was having some problems with my PC, and now I’m stuck on it since I can’t enter a PIN. I’ve read every solution saying to “recover PC” or “restore previous configuration”, everything in safe mode, but...
  3. Windows 10 stuck on Diagnostic Mode, tried safe mode and it won’t accept my password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 stuck on Diagnostic Mode, tried safe mode and it won’t accept my password: Alright to make it short, yesterday I tried diagnostic startup since I was having some problems with my PC, and now I’m stuck on it since I can’t enter a PIN. I’ve read every solution saying to “recover PC” or “restore previous configuration”, everything in safe mode, but...
  4. Windows 10 stuck on Diagnostic Mode, tried safe mode and it won’t accept my password

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Stuck in Diagnostic Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in Diagnostic Mode: Running latest version of Win 10 Pro updated to latest. I used msconfig to boot into diagnostic mode to fix a printer problem. When Windows opened it said my Pin was not usable and that I should use my password. I haven't used the password in a long time and have forgotten...
  6. Pin & Password not accepted after msconfig diagnostic startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Pin & Password not accepted after msconfig diagnostic startup: Using a Shift-Restart I can get into the recovery menus and even login to the command prompt using the same password that doesn't work at GUI boot. Is there a way from the command prompt to set it to what msconfig calls a normal boot? Thanks! 179157
  7. Diagnostic Mode - Pin isn’t available

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Diagnostic Mode - Pin isn’t available: So I went into msconfig and changed to boot in diagnostics mode and clicked restart. Now I cant get into windows, im only seeing this screen:[IMG] Selecting “Set up my pin” does nothing. There are no options for other login methods or anything. Repair didnt do anything...
  8. Something happened and your pin is not available - stuck in Msconfig diagnostic mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Something happened and your pin is not available - stuck in Msconfig diagnostic mode: Any fix? submitted by /u/ben_aloha [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kbmiig/something_happened_and_your_pin_is_not_available/
  9. Stuck in Utility mode, please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck in Utility mode, please help: Hey everyone, i downloaded what i thought was a program to download twitch videos, the moment i click on download the pc goes to blue screen and it says "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" So i waited, but i noticed that it got stuck in 100% for a while, so i...
  10. Stuck in safe mode windows 10 and PIN not accept

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in safe mode windows 10 and PIN not accept: Please follow this method for stuck out from safe mode where PIN is not accepting. Type bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot and hit enter Key.[ATTACH]...