Windows 10: Stuck in Read Only

Discus and support Stuck in Read Only in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After updating to Windows 10 I created a homegroup and now everything in documents is stuck in read only. It's the filled in box not the checked box. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by d3vious, Aug 9, 2015.

1. d3vious Win User

Stuck in Read Only

After updating to Windows 10 I created a homegroup and now everything in documents is stuck in read only. It's the filled in box not the checked box. I manually uncheck the read only and it goes right back to read only. I left home group and tried unsharing folders but no luck. I'm at a loss in what else to try. Also tried rollback and it fails. Tried reset and it fails. Tried image rollback and fails.

:)

d3vious, Aug 9, 2015
  2. songerll Win User

Files stuck as "read Only"

Good suggestion, but it still didn't work. Although I am the Administrator, it gives me the "access denied" window saying I need Administrator permission. I click "continue" and it appears to be making the changes, but the files are still all read only.
    Any ideas how to get to the Administrator permissions?

songerll, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Files stuck as "read Only"

After updating to windows 10, all of my files are stuck as "Read Only". Even as administrator I can't change them back. It acts as though it is accepting the change, but the change isn't activated. This is a problem for photos because I can't go through
    the multiple radio buttons to override the read-only status. It just refuses to store the edited photo. Is there a secret screen I can dumpster dive to and fix this?

I had this fixed by setting up the feature called "homegroup" for a short time. But it appears that something has caused this issue to recur- either a download or setting up Microsoft one drive. The computers response to any sort of file action is very
    bizarre, as though I were logged in as someone else that the administrator had not given any file privileges to.

BrentJacobsen, Aug 9, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Stuck in Read Only

Hello d3vious, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The files would only be read-only if their box is checked instead.

Read-only File and Folder Attribute - Windows 7 Help Forums

Stuck in Read Only [​IMG]
    Read-only box = (also Windows 10) Default neutral setting that is always displayed. File is not read-only. For a folder, it means all files in the folder not to be set as read-only.

Brink, Aug 9, 2015
  5. d3vious Win User
    When I get home from work I will check it out again but I was having issues saving files after editing them, specifically a Microsoft word file. It would tell me the file was read only. Also the main reason I discovered this was my settings in a game were not saving. The settings are stored in the documents > my games folder. I would make changes in game then reblog and the changes would be gone.

d3vious, Aug 9, 2015
  6. charlotte Win User
    When I upgraded to windows 10, my system changed all files & folders that existed in win 8.1 to read only & a lot of them hidden. Adobe LightRoom was unable see any of the hidden ones. I have gone through and changed all to not either of those 2 attributes. The unchecked hidden seems to be staying unchecked, but the read only attribute immediately gets reset back to read only.

charlotte, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Stuck in Read Only

1. Stuck in Read Only - Similar Threads - Stuck Read

2. Trying to format my NVME, but it's stuck in read-only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to format my NVME, but it's stuck in read-only: So I received a 1Tb M.2 NVME from a friend and plan on using it in my PC build. He said it already had Windows 10 on it, but when I tried to boot with it, it immediately went into automatic repair mode. When I selected the option to proceed to Windows, it just re-opened...
  3. Trying to format my NVME, but it's stuck in read-only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to format my NVME, but it's stuck in read-only: So I received a 1Tb M.2 NVME from a friend and plan on using it in my PC build. He said it already had Windows 10 on it, but when I tried to boot with it, it immediately went into automatic repair mode. When I selected the option to proceed to Windows, it just re-opened...
  4. Trying to format my NVME, but it's stuck in read-only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Brand News Samsung SSD T7 stuck in read-only mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brand News Samsung SSD T7 stuck in read-only mode: Hi everyone! Basically what the title says: I have purchased a brand new Samsung SSD T7 from Amazon last week, to use as a photography archive, and it is now stuck in read-only mode.A bit of context: the day I received it, I went and did a photoshoot, then copied the entire...
  6. Brand News Samsung SSD T7 stuck in read-only mode

Brand News Samsung SSD T7 stuck in read-only mode: Hi everyone! Basically what the title says: I have purchased a brand new Samsung SSD T7 from Amazon last week, to use as a photography archive, and it is now stuck in read-only mode.A bit of context: the day I received it, I went and did a photoshoot, then copied the entire...
  7. "Read from" within Magnifier getting "stuck" on, unable to click buttons etc

"Read from" within Magnifier getting "stuck" on, unable to click buttons etc: This has been an ongoing issue for many, many months now and I don't know why or how it happens. It is intermittent and has occurred on two separate laptops of differing brands Dell, ASUS, on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, using multiple different USB keyboards Logitech,...
  8. "Read from" within Magnifier getting "stuck" on, unable to click buttons etc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Read from" within Magnifier getting "stuck" on, unable to click buttons etc: This has been an ongoing issue for many, many months now and I don't know why or how it happens. It is intermittent and has occurred on two separate laptops of differing brands Dell, ASUS, on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, using multiple different USB keyboards Logitech,...
  9. Disk drive stuck in Read-only state despite diskpart claiming to have successfully cleared...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk drive stuck in Read-only state despite diskpart claiming to have successfully cleared...: My D drive disk Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus is stuck in Read Only mode.I tried to remove read only via diskpart, and it said it cleared successfully, however as you can see from the screenshots Current Read Only State is still equal to Yes.Can anyone provide any suggestions? Any...
  10. Disk drive stuck in Read-only state despite diskpart claiming to have successfully cleared...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk drive stuck in Read-only state despite diskpart claiming to have successfully cleared...: My D drive disk Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus is stuck in Read Only mode.I tried to remove read only via diskpart, and it said it cleared successfully, however as you can see from the screenshots Current Read Only State is still equal to Yes.Can anyone provide any suggestions? Any...