Windows 10: Stuck in Safe Mode without Admin Access

Discus and support Stuck in Safe Mode without Admin Access in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I rebooted into safe mode to troubleshoot an unrelated issue and now I am stuck in it. I normally use the facial recognition thing to login, but I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tbonecopper, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Stuck in Safe Mode without Admin Access

I rebooted into safe mode to troubleshoot an unrelated issue and now I am stuck in it. I normally use the facial recognition thing to login, but I do have my Microsoft Account attached to the login, with a password. Despite that, the password does not work at Safe Mode login.

I happened to have a basic user account on my computer which I could login to in safe mode, but I can't run any tools like msconfig because they require admin.

I've tried using a usb drive with Windows 10 on it to get a command prompt and use the bcdedit commands, but they are returning "the boot configuration data store could not be opened." and I'm stymied.

Is there any other way to get back into the computer? I can't believe Microsoft hasn't realized this fatal flaw.

:)

tbonecopper, Mar 4, 2018

2. Admin Password doesn't work in Safe Mode and now it won't leave safe mode?

My windows laptop was put into safe mode. Now, trying to get it out has proved to be a challenge as it asks for the admin password. The admin password that previously worked to put it in safe mode to begin with now wont work and is incorrect. I've tried
    every other possible password although it's highly unlikely to be anything else and now not only is it stuck in safe mode, but safe mode without network access even though I made sure to apply network before putting it in safe mode.

Hannah555_00, Mar 4, 2018
  3. Windows 10 asks for administrator password

Hi All,

As mentioned above still can't access the laptop without Administrator password. Even in safe mode of command prompt can't access without administrator password. It was asking admin password to access safe mode command prompt. Is their any possible way login
    in safe mode command prompt????

Thanks in advance.

ThangarajR, Mar 4, 2018
  4. philc43 Win User

Stuck in Safe Mode without Admin Access

philc43, Mar 4, 2018
  5. Try3 Win User
  6. dalchina New Member
    Silly thought - and I've no idea if it would work esp. at the login stage, though it might- can you get to Safe Mode with Networking?

On another track- System Restore- use a restore point.

dalchina, Mar 4, 2018
  7. Thanks, this didn't work as windows setup doesn't see the contents of the drive where windows is installed, just a file called "recovery".

bcdedit returns the boot configuration data store could not be opened
    Thanks, yes, I a do have safe mode with networking. but safe mode isn't utilizing the active connection at the login screen and is wanting a local account password, which is not set. This explains why remote desktop login never worked - there's no local account password set. I'm calling Microsoft. Thanks for your suggestions here folks, I appreciate it! *Smile

tbonecopper, Mar 4, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Thanks, this didn't work as windows setup doesn't see the contents of the drive where windows is installed, just a file called "recovery". When you boot from the install media the drive letters are not going to be the same. The Windows system will not appear as the C: drive. In the example in Option Five you'll see it appears as the D: drive.

Bree, Mar 4, 2018
  9. I saw that, I selected the X drive, and was able to see the listing, but when I select the SAM file, it says the file is in use by another process. *Sad

I also tried a Hiren's CD and the offline password manager just hangs at booting the kernel....

tbonecopper, Mar 4, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    No, the X: drive is the currently running system, a virtual drive held in RAM and created when you booted from the install media. Your Windows system is offline at the moment and on one of the other drives. It will almost certainly not be assigned as C:. Try each letter in turn, you should find it eventually.

11. I just realized, my drive is setup as raid, even though there is not a volume defined and it's just one drive, which means windows setup can't see the drive that windows is installed on without the driver. I'm not sure how to load it in this manner...

trying loading the driver at the drive selection screen, like i was going to reinstall, but am just going to get it to see the drive, then try the technique to enable the hidden admin account

tbonecopper, Mar 4, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    This may help....

13. Try3 Win User

I am not suggesting using bcdedit commands. I am providing a method for escaping the Safe mode boot loop you are stuck in, "Is there any other way to get back into the computer?".

Denis

14. I got the admin account enabled, but when I click it at the login screen it says the password is incorrect.. this is before I enter any password of course.

tbonecopper, Mar 4, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    By default the built-in Administrator account has no password. Are you trying to sign in as Administrator, or is it trying to automatically sign you in to your usual account? If so, select Administrator at the lower left of the sign in screen and try again.

Alternatively, if you ever set a password for Administrator you'll have to try and remember it.

Thema:

1. Stuck in Safe Mode without Admin Access - Similar Threads - Stuck Safe Mode

2. Stuck in safe mode with no admin access.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in safe mode with no admin access.: I put my laptop in safe mode because I was having issues with it. Now I can't get out of safe mode because I don't have access to my admin account. My "PIN isnt available" and because of this I recieve an error. I have been trying to fix it for days now. I've been told to use...
  3. Stuck in safe mode with no admin access.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in safe mode with no admin access.: I put my laptop in safe mode because I was having issues with it. Now I can't get out of safe mode because I don't have access to my admin account. My "PIN isnt available" and because of this I recieve an error. I have been trying to fix it for days now. I've been told to use...
  4. Stuck in safe mode with no admin access.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Stuck in safe mode without password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck in safe mode without password: I login to my windows using pin. When i set msconfig to safe mode, i was unable to login to window when the login mode change to password. Kindly advise....
  6. stuck in safe mode

stuck in safe mode: I booted into Windows 10 Safe Mode. When I try to log in, “password is incorrect.” I reset my password on Microsoft so I know my password. I typed in the correct password, “password is incorrect.” I used SHIFT + Restart to access Windows 10 Safe Mode with Networking and...
  7. Stuck in safe mode without password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck in safe mode without password: I've installed a new AMD GPU to replace my Nvidia GPU. It was reccomended to delete the old drivers in safe mode before installing the new ones. I booted up in safe mode, however it asks for my password to log in. I enter my current password (different than the one I setup...
  8. Stuck in safe mode without password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck in safe mode without password: I always log on with my pincode and so I forgot my admin password. To check a problem I switched to safe mode. In safe mode Win10 asks for a password. Now I am stuck in safe mode and can't go further. Please help....
  9. Stuck in safe mode without being able to login

Stuck in safe mode without being able to login: I used the msconfig command to boot up with Safe Mode on Windows 10. I made the mistake of selecting "Safe boot" as the option for loading Safe Mode. I restarted into Safe Mode without incident, but now I can ONLY enter safe mode after each restart. This would be fine if...
  10. Can’t exit safe mode without admin password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can’t exit safe mode without admin password: I booted safe mode on my windows 10 laptop, not knowing that I needed the admin password, which I don’t know. I also don’t have an installation disk i can boot from. Now I can’t login to my laptop without the admin password, is there any way to boot safe mode without...