Windows 10: Stuck in Selective Startup

Discus and support Stuck in Selective Startup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; (Moved from EightForums, where I posted in error.) I was instructed to use Selective Startup to get Quicken installed (didn't work), and now I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by spddemun, Jan 9, 2016.

1. spddemun Win User

Stuck in Selective Startup

(Moved from EightForums, where I posted in error.)

I was instructed to use Selective Startup to get Quicken installed (didn't work), and now I can't get out!

This is a laptop that has been stuck with the Microsoft account login (cannot fix it as other options are grayed out).
    I cannot login with my Microsoft login (says password is wrong), but I can get in using just the Admin. acct., with same password.

Using Admin. acct., I cannot get out of Selective Startup, most items are grayed out, or if I can select options (Enable from Disabled), then I get an error that things cannot be changed.

My F keys are not working either, no way to access msconfig (how I got here), Run/Search doesn't let me type.

Please help!
    Stuck in Selective Startup [​IMG]

Thanks.

:)

spddemun, Jan 9, 2016

2. Stuck in Selective Startup

Hi Johnnie,

For better assistance, I suggest that you post your concern on TechNet since the resolution that you prefer is more complex that what we normally handle in the Microsoft Community. Here is the link:

TechNet

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Jan 9, 2016
  3. Stuck in Selective Startup

Anyone stuck in Selective Startup?

I have a Surface Pro 4 that got stuck in Selective Startup after installing the Anniversary update two days ago. When you try to select Normal Startup in MSConfig it will not take the change. My wife's
    Dell Laptop started doing the same prior to installing the Anniversary Update as well. I have read in number places that this is normal, but I beg to differ.

I have been going crazy trying to fix it to Normal Startup. I really do not want to do clean re-install of Win 10. My wife's laptop was originally a Win 7 machine and I took advantage of the free upgrade
    to Win 10 in July. I sometimes had issues when Windows Update would run updates would fail to install. I had fixed this issue in the past doing a clean boot which is a selective startup. I even experienced updates failing on my Win 7 Desktop and have to do
    a clean boot to get them to install also.

I am using a 3rd party AV BitDefender for AV and Internet Security. So could it be that BitDefender is causing my issue with my Surface Pro 4? I wasn't having this issue with BitDefender in the past.
    As for the difference between Selective Startup and Normal I experience very slow startup on my wife's laptop ever since it got stuck in Selective Startup. BitDefender takes a very long time to load on the task bar, but this occurred after I uninstalled it
    to see if that would correct this issue. So after reinstalling BitDefender it loads last and slowly.

I hate doing a Reset or Clean Install because that is more work on my part because I will have to re-install software and apps that did not originally come with the machine. Just additional pain. I am hoping
    there is way to fix this by doing a simple in Command Prompt or Registry Editor.

It is situations like these that make people hate Microsoft and want to switch to Apple!! I wish they stop releasing buggy OS!!

JohnnieF008, Jan 9, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi spddeman,

Welcome to the 10forums.

Have you tried to reset your password online using another device?

axe0, Jan 9, 2016
  5. spddemun Win User
    I found the fix by using Win key + R to get back to msconfig in a tutorial: Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode using System Configuration (msconfig), Option 2.

spddemun, Jan 9, 2016
  6. spddemun Win User
    I was actually there to reset, but stopped. Strange I had to use my email password to get back in, my PIN was not accepted. PIN was accepted for Admin. only acct. Know this is a bit OT, but had me puzzled!

spddemun, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Stuck in Selective Startup - Similar Threads - Stuck Selective Startup

2. Stuck in selective startup with no admin access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in selective startup with no admin access: So basically I was trying to fix a system task using high cpu and tried a selective startup. Now I can’t login to admin because the pin and fingerprint aren’t working.I only have access to a account.There is also no wifi access.I have no idea what to do and I am stuck outside...
  3. Stuck in selective startup with no admin access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in selective startup with no admin access: So basically I was trying to fix a system task using high cpu and tried a selective startup. Now I can’t login to admin because the pin and fingerprint aren’t working.I only have access to a account.There is also no wifi access.I have no idea what to do and I am stuck outside...
  4. Stuck in selective startup with no admin access

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck in selective startup with no admin access: So basically I was trying to fix a system task using high cpu and tried a selective startup. Now I can’t login to admin because the pin and fingerprint aren’t working.I only have access to a account.There is also no wifi address.I have no idea what to do and I am stuck...
  5. Startup Selection Reverts from Normal to Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup Selection Reverts from Normal to Selective Startup: When I select "normal startup" in System Config it always reverts back to "selective startup". All the boxes in Advanced T. S.have been cleared. I have read on this forum I'm not alone with this issue and isn't really a problem. My question is if I select the " make all boot...
  6. Windows 10 stuck in Selective Startup mode in MSCONFIG

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 stuck in Selective Startup mode in MSCONFIG: System Configuration Utility, popularly known as MSCONFIG, allows you to configure the startup behavior of Windows. It allows users to troubleshoot the load time, stability, and performance problems. It has been reported that Windows 10 gets stuck in Selective Startup, which...
  7. Account selection at startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Account selection at startup: I have a fresh install of windows 10 and 2 accounts with admin privilege and no password for both. When I start or reboot the computer, it automatically logins to the last account I was using before the reboot or shutdown. How do I make it so that when I reboot or startup...
  8. MSConfig & Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    MSConfig & Selective Startup: So msconfig is driving me nuts as whenever i just click normal or diagonstic boot it reverts to selective startup. I had this issue in Windows 7 and i fixed it somehow. Any help? 9138
  9. Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck: It is taking forever to boot into safe mode not sure why. Just clocking. I had set it up via msconfig. Any way to skip safe mode or am I stuck until I get to desktop ? 51054
  10. startup selective not normal.

in Windows 10 Support
    startup selective not normal.: My startup always returns to selective, i don't know why. 44150

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msconfig selective startup stuck

2. msconfig selective startup stuck windows 10

3. pc is stuck in selective startup

4. msconfig stuck on selective startup