Windows 10: Stuck in UEFI after reset to default.

Discus and support Stuck in UEFI after reset to default. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, After resetting UEFI to default values, I can't start WIndows because boot goes to UEFI. The story is this: I wanted to make a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kmint, Feb 24, 2016.

1. kmint Win User

Stuck in UEFI after reset to default.

Hi,

After resetting UEFI to default values, I can't start WIndows because boot goes to UEFI.

The story is this:

I wanted to make a clean install of W10 and for that I had to make some changes in UEFI because it wouldn't allow me otherwise. But after the installation I see that I have some problems with the sleep and fast boot, not working well. So I went to UEFI and reset it to default, saved and exit. On boot, it goes to UEFI once and again. Windows doesn't load.

So I have to do the same changes that I had to do for installing W10. Disable fast boot, etc. And then yes, I get to Windows, but keep having the same sleep and boot problems. Both work really bad in different ways.

Does anybody know what is wrong?

PS: I also did other changes, by the way. I couldn't install W10 because it said that my disk was GPT partition style, so I had to follow some instructions to change that, which wiped my disk and partitions completely and maybe I missed some step...

Thanks in advance.

:)

kmint, Feb 24, 2016
  2. J876_1 Win User

Brand new pc and windows 10 OS won't install error 0x80070570

Have you tried/resetting the UEFI/BIOS settings to factory defaults?

Have you tried upgrading the BIOS/UEFI firmware from the motherboard manufacturer?

J876_1, Feb 24, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Feb 24, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Please post a screenshot of disk management. Also, make sure your boot option is listed as Windows Boot Manager if you are installed in UEFI mode (which the screenshot above will show).

essenbe, Feb 24, 2016
  5. kmint Win User
    Here you are.

Stuck in UEFI after reset to default. [​IMG]

kmint, Feb 25, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    You are not installed in UEFI mode, you are in legacy mode. Select your hard drive in the boot options in BIOS, you should not have a 'Windows Boot manager option'. Secure boot should be disabled and if you have a CSM, I don't know your options, but you need to set it to the option for Legacy.

essenbe, Feb 25, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    You could alternatively reinstall Windows 10 as a UEFI install by recreating your usb drive as a UEFI install by downloading iso and using rufus to create a gpt psrtition scheme for UEFI install. You would have to convedt hdd to gpt format.

More hassle than just changing bios to use legacy bios, but gives more flexibility in future.

cereberus, Feb 25, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

It depends upon the flexibility to do what the user is seeking. Do they want more and larger partitions? Then that would be true. Do they want flexibility to multi-boot things like Linux, Macrium Reflect ISOs and MiniTool Partition Wizard ISOs? Then MBR and Legacy booting is more flexible.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  9. kmint Win User
    I got lost, sounds like chinese to me all of that... *Sad

This is what I have in the UEFI Boot:

Stuck in UEFI after reset to default. [​IMG]

So, when I try to change the Boot configuration or when I try to reset everything to default values, I can't boot and get into this UEFI thing all the time.

I don't see any "Legacy" thing anywhere.

Thanks a lot.

kmint, Feb 25, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    CSM (Compatibility Support Module).
    If Enabled ===> Legacy MBR
    Disabled ====> UEFI

topgundcp, Feb 25, 2016
  11. kmint Win User
    Let's see. Since I couldn't install the W10 iso because my disk was GPT I followed these instructions found in a web site (Solucion el disco seleccionado tiene el estilo GPT. - Taringa!)

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk <disk number>
    list partition
    clean
    list partition
    list disk

And maybe there is some mistake because later I found these other instructions in a Microsoft site, and in this one there is different commands, such as "convert gpt" that I didn't do:

Configuracion de Windows: Instalacion mediante el estilo de particion MBR o GPT

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk <disk number>
    clean
    convert gpt
    exit

kmint, Feb 25, 2016
  12. kmint Win User
    ¿Could this be the reason?

What I want is to have a sleep mode and boot that work well again, as they did before I touched all of that, as when I had my default W8.1 from factory untouched that worked great (the laptop is new from last summer).

I want to have sleep mode, fast boot, etc, and have all UEFI values as in default mode, so that nobody can install Linux or anything else or boot from something else without my permission.

Many thanks

kmint, Feb 25, 2016
  13. sam2fish Win User

Wow. Never had a problem installing Windows from the Wiindows 95a days.

I have found that the only time I wanted to use anything but UEFI (like legacy or any other option like it) is if I want to dual-boot with Linux.

sam2fish, Feb 26, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    This is all getting confusing. You have now converted disk to gpt.

Is bios set up now with csm enabled?

If csm is enabled, you will have to convert hdd back to mbr to do a legacy install.

If disabled, you will need to recreate usb stick from windows 10 iso to be suitable for gpt-uefi install using rufus.

cereberus, Feb 26, 2016
  15. kmint Win User
    Why confusing? I explained it in the first post.

I cound't install W10 because "I had GPT partition system disk". So I had to do those changes. I can't go back to the other system (MBR?) because then it doesn't let me install W10.

kmint, Feb 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Stuck in UEFI after reset to default. - Similar Threads - Stuck UEFI reset

2. No display after resetting bios to defaults.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No display after resetting bios to defaults.: I upgraded my pc, a new mb ram and cpu. All old parts were working before. mb: z790 strix gaming wificpu: i5-13600kf gpu: gtx 1080 next upgraderam: Teamgroup 7800 ddr5psu: evga 1000 watt goldstorage: Corsair nvme, Samsung evo pro ssd, 2 old HDDsWhen I booted first time it...
  3. No display after resetting bios to defaults.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No display after resetting bios to defaults.: I upgraded my pc, a new mb ram and cpu. All old parts were working before. mb: z790 strix gaming wificpu: i5-13600kf gpu: gtx 1080 next upgraderam: Teamgroup 7800 ddr5psu: evga 1000 watt goldstorage: Corsair nvme, Samsung evo pro ssd, 2 old HDDsWhen I booted first time it...
  4. Stuck in UEFI Bios mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in UEFI Bios mode: Hi,I wanted to erase the files on my computer to sell it, but when I started it I got a quick message that something was wrong with Windows. Since then I'm stuck in the UEFI Bios mode where I can't get out. Pressing the "Save and Exit" gives me the message that I did not make...
  5. Stuck in UEFI Bios mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in UEFI Bios mode: Hi,I wanted to erase the files on my computer to sell it, but when I started it I got a quick message that something was wrong with Windows. Since then I'm stuck in the UEFI Bios mode where I can't get out. Pressing the "Save and Exit" gives me the message that I did not make...
  6. Stuck in UEFI Bios mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Computer resets to default after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer resets to default after restart: Every time I turn on my computer I log in and find out that my wallpaper, pins, desktop, and other settings reset to defaults. It's really annoying and I don't know how to fix it, can anybody help? submitted by /u/Hamburger_____ [link] [comments]...
  8. Stuck after clicking restart in UEFI Settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stuck after clicking restart in UEFI Settings: I have an Alienware Aurora A9. I’m trying to change which gpu my computer is using. Currently being used is an Intel gpu and id like to switch to my nvidia gpu. But im getting stuck after I click restart in UFEI Settings and its not booting up my boot manager to allow me to...
  9. Speakers Are Resetting To Default After Updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speakers Are Resetting To Default After Updates: No, there are no driver or device issues (first thing I checked). Everything worked absolutely fine on Windows 7, upgraded to Windows 10 and my speaker default is reset with each update (along with practically everything else because, well, Windows 10). ***Moved From:...
  10. Stuck in UEFI BIOS after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in UEFI BIOS after Windows 10 update: Just came home to see my box finishing a new Windows 10 update and restart. Restart ended in a “Blue Screen”, then reboot that went straight to the BIOS. BIOS shows everything as normal as far as I can tell. The OS SSD is also listed as boot device 1 but every restart leads...