Windows 10: Stuck on Black screen showing mouse curser after trying to switch user

Discus and support Stuck on Black screen showing mouse curser after trying to switch user in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I am really hoping someone might be able to help me with this issue. There seems to be a lot of info on the issue, but none of it has helped me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Derksen13, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Derksen13 Win User

Stuck on Black screen showing mouse curser after trying to switch user

Hi, I am really hoping someone might be able to help me with this issue. There seems to be a lot of info on the issue, but none of it has helped me with my problem.
    So awhile back I created a new user on my computer for the purpose of having a user name to set up a ftp server. Lets calls this user name Bob-ftp, and my regular user is Bob. Today I made the mistake of attempting to switch to Bob-ftp, and my screen just went black and showed a mouse curser but nothing works, although I am able to move the mouse around.
    Steps I have tried so far
    1. Restart the computer
    2. Tried to boot into safe mode by running a command prompt off a boot usb, it seemed to boot into safe mode because the mouse curser was larger, but I was still unable to do anything
    3. Tried to do a system restore, they all failed
    4. Tried rolling back a bunch of hot fixes they all did nothing
    5. Tried sfc scan now, did nothing
    6. Tried the hot keys to switch displays, the menu popped up(first and only thing I have been able to get to pop up) but no other displays show up... I only have 1 display plugged in
    7. Plugged in old hard drive with windows 7, and am now booted on it
    8. Browsed to users folder, and Bob-ftp isn't even in there at all. Although if I remember I set this user up somehow be inactive or something, I only wanted it for the ftp server which it worked for.

What I think is happening is that when I boot it is autoloading into Bob-ftp since none of my Users have passwords. If anyone has a way I can make it do back to trying to load into Bob, instead of Bob-ftp. I believe that would fix my issue.

:)

Derksen13, Jun 15, 2017
  2. Birch2016 Win User

Black screen and Blinking curser after upgrade

Original Title: Blinking curser

At first startup after updating to Windows 10 screen is black with curser blinking in upper left corner. No response from mouse or keyboard. What is the solution?

Birch2016, Jun 15, 2017
  3. WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE PROBLEM

I loaded a thumb drive with windows 10. Downloaded the copy to the affected computer. When the down load completed and the reboot started I removed the thumb drive, (warm boot) Windows 10 seemed to work. I downloaded a new copy of windows 10 formatting
    my hard drive in the process, (three hours). Windows 10 worked. Downloaded the required updates including the nvida driver. A reboot was required. After reboot, screen was black with a mouse curser. The computer and display go to sleep after a time, the mouse
    curser disappears and the computer is quiet. You start moving the mouse or hit any key on the keyboard and the computer and display come back with the computer fan and mouse curser. No other keys respond on the screen. The mouse curser will move off the edges
    of the screen except the top of the display. The windows update for the nvida driver for the video card was the same one as used on windows 7 before the 10 upgrade.

LonnieHayes, Jun 15, 2017
  4. Stuck on Black screen showing mouse curser after trying to switch user

Hi Derksen13. Welcome to the TenForums @Derksen13.

You may wish to wait for more informed solutions.

You said you booted in to Safe Mode so I assume you can get into the Advance Startup Options. If so are you logging in as Bob or Bob-ftp. If you press alt + F4 you should be able to sign out. I'm thinking this should cause Windows to show you all users on the sign in.

If not and working of your inactive comment you may wish to make user active. Link to commands, assuming you can get to command prompt

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx

I will recommend you look into Macrium Reflect as an Imaging tool. Free, reliable and used by members. Restore Points are okay but .....

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 16, 2017
  5. Derksen13 Win User
    Thankyou for your reply
    I am not able to boot properly into safemode, it just does the same thing as when I try to boot normally, the only difference is the mouse curser is a little larger. I can only get into command prompt via a install USB, which doesn't bring up my users when I run net user

Derksen13, Jun 16, 2017
  6. Derksen13 Win User
    I've had another new development with this issue. It appears that the computer is booting fine, I am able to connect to my teamviewer server which I have to start on boot. Unfortunately that too only shows a black screen and curser *Sad

Derksen13, Jun 16, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Are your files backed up?
    What is the make and model of your computer?
    Do you know the F key to boot to a device?

Find a flash drive that you can format.
    On any working computer create a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10
    Each computer manufacturer has a F key to boot to a device. For HP computers it is the F9 key. A google search will have the F key. If it is a custom computer you will need to change the boot order in the bios.

If your files are backed up you can attempt a repair with a bootable windows 10 iso.

Also try these methods to see if you can get to the windows recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu:
    1) power on > view windows icon > power off
    2) power on > view windows icon > power off
    3) if it has not already displayed diagnosing your PC try it a third time.
    Let us know if your get to the windows advanced troubleshooting menu.
    An alternative method that sometimes works is power on holding the shift key.

If you can get to the windows recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu you can choose in this order:
    1) startup repair
    2) restore choosing a working restore point
    3) reset with save files (lose applications)
    4) reset with remove files and applications

or if you can boot the windows 10 recovery or advanced troubleshooting the best option in an in place upgrade or in place repair using the windows 10 iso and saving files and applications.

Let us know whether you have your files saved and whether you can or cannot boot to the windows advanced troubleshooting menu.

If you cannot boot to the windows recovery menu you may be able to do a repair with the bootable windows 10 iso

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Stuck on Black screen showing mouse curser after trying to switch user

1. Stuck on Black screen showing mouse curser after trying to switch user - Similar Threads - Stuck Black screen

2. Black screen with curser shows up after trying to enter system recovery mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with curser shows up after trying to enter system recovery mode: I tried to bootbup my laptop but suddenly it went into system recovery mode. The only fix I could do was to use a system restore point since I couldn't boot it into safe mode or uninstal the latest updates, I did a virus test with windows and malwarebytes and nothing came up,...
  3. Black screen with curser shows up after trying to enter system recovery mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with curser shows up after trying to enter system recovery mode: I tried to bootbup my laptop but suddenly it went into system recovery mode. The only fix I could do was to use a system restore point since I couldn't boot it into safe mode or uninstal the latest updates, I did a virus test with windows and malwarebytes and nothing came up,...
  4. Black screen with curser shows up after trying to enter system recovery mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. black screen with curser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    black screen with curser: i am running windows 10 with 2 monitors, i turned on my computer and one monitor is black the other is black screen with a curser that i can move around. only way to turn computer off is to hold power button down, i have no other options. i am trying to repair, uninstall...
  6. black screen with curser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    black screen with curser: i am running windows 10 with 2 monitors, i turned on my computer and one monitor is black the other is black screen with a curser that i can move around. only way to turn computer off is to hold power button down, i have no other options. i am trying to repair, uninstall...
  7. Black screen with curser.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen with curser.: I updated my pc to the latest windows 10 version this was a forced install and now i have a black screen with a curser after the login screen, I managed to uninstall the update and the problem was fixed. Two days later windows forced the update on me again, and again after...
  8. Black screen with curser after update

Black screen with curser after update: I was updating my laptop overnight then the next morning I woke up and the laptop died cause bat battery was dead. I forgot to charge it but I plugged in the charger and logged in but all I could see was a black screen with a curser. I've tried restarting and a couple of...
  9. black screen with curser after logon

in Windows 10 Customization
    black screen with curser after logon: How do you fix this problem. After bootup, logon screen comes up. After entering password, screen loads blank or black with curser only. Tried shell reset to explorer.exe. What else can I try?...
  10. Black screen/ just curser after user screen

Black screen/ just curser after user screen: I had posted earlier tonight about my Start Up wndows logo and tray icons almost all are frozen. I tried solutions posted but since i cant access Settings or Window logo i was stuck. I tried accessing run menu through Task Mgr but wasnt getting anywhere. Now i cant get...