Windows 10: Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool

Discus and support Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm facing difficulty while trying to convert .ESD to .WIM File I'm using a script that belongs to below source: How to convert install.esd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by souf07, Nov 9, 2017.

1. souf07 Win User

Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool

Hi,

I'm facing difficulty while trying to convert .ESD to .WIM File
    I'm using a script that belongs to below source:

How to convert install.esd to install.wim Mark The Tech
    DISM giving me the following error when reaching at 84%> error 605 the specified buffer contains ill-formed data
    On the internet i can't find any related solution for this particularly problem.
    Anyone that can help me out on this one ? Thanks in Advance.

Soufyan Bouaziz

:)

souf07, Nov 9, 2017

2. How do I disable latest driver update automatic in Windows Update?

Convert the ESD to ISO using Decrypter or Run DISM and change when it says "WIM" to ESD. I would convert the ESD so you have a ISO that you can use in case of emergency

How To Convert Install.ESD To ISO File

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 9, 2017
  3. CSI Payload Corrupt

Ran dism using another windows system as the source:

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:z:\Windows /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

I tried with the media creation to MP3 and there was no wim file - esd file instead. I converted that to a wim and got same issue - both with esd:1 and wim:1. Trying now with ISO instead of USB but expect same results.

AllenJensen, Nov 9, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

Try this. ESD2WIM-WIM2ESD-6.zip

SIW2, Nov 9, 2017
  5. souf07 Win User
    Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool [​IMG]

thanks I'm sorry i wasn't able to reply immediately. Again i receive a error when heading to 85% can you please give me advice what i am doing wrong?

souf07, Nov 12, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    What's the source for the ESD file you're using? The error message indicates an integrity problem with its contents. @Kari might have some other suggestions. He's written an ESD-to-WIM conversion tool so he knows more about those internals than I do.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 12, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    It's not a tool, just a short tutorial to show how to use DISM to convert ESD file to a WIM file: Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

8. EdTittel Win User

I stand corrected, Kari. Can you shed any light on this matter, or do you agree that the error message makes the ESD file itself at least potentially questionable?
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 12, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    Yes, I would also like to know the source of the ESD file. In addition, I see no reason to use any third party tools like the one OP is using and refers to in first post in converting a valid install.esd to install.wim.

10. souf07 Win User

its from; en_windows_10_multiple_editions_x64_dvd_6846432

I will try Kari advice hopefully it will work then. i will let you know if it works. Thanks!

souf07, Nov 12, 2017
  11. souf07 Win User
    Hi Kari,

I will try your method. i will come back ASAP. thanks.

souf07, Nov 12, 2017
  12. topgundcp Win User
    The error may indicate that the install.esd was built using the Recovery compression option. Faster and smaller in size build but cannot be mounted. Using this option, the conversion takes about 20 seconds, with Max compression will take 4 minutes but can be mounted.

If you wish, you can try:
    Copy install.esd to desktop. Open Admin command and copy/paste each step below to run.

• cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
    • Get the source index for Windows edition to use in step 3:
      dism.exe /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\install.esd
    • dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"install.esd" /SourceIndex:8 /DestinationImageFile:"install.wim" /Compress:Max
    • Verify:
      dism.exe /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\install.wim

NOTE:
    In step 3. The install.esd used is from the MCT ISO. Index: 8 is for Windows 10 Pro

topgundcp, Nov 12, 2017
  13. souf07 Win User

Unfortunately i tried index number 8 but it give me a error number 87. when i try index number 1 it will export untill it reach 84%

souf07, Nov 13, 2017
  14. topgundcp Win User
    Your install.esd only contains a single index ie. 1 so if you use index 8 which does not exist ==> error
    My install.esd for Windows 10 version 1709 contains 9 indices, each represents a Windows edition. In the screen shot, 8 is for Windows 10 Pro:

Using index 8, I only want to build an install.wim for Windows 10 Pro only. Note that it only took 30 seconds to complete.

Get the info on the newly created install.wim, I only get Windows 10 Pro.

So if you get an error. then either something is wrong with this install.esd or itn does not allow to mount. Some members in this forum might remember this: there was time that the ISO downloaded from MCT did not allow to mount, we had to download the version from Techbench for it to work. As I said earlier, they used different compression algorithm which allow to read and use to install but not modify. You might want to re-download from a different source.

topgundcp, Nov 13, 2017
  15. FreeBooter, Nov 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool - Similar Threads - Stuck converting ESD

2. .esd does work without .wim

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    .esd does work without .wim: Can use DISM for .ESD (windows is compressed) repair below without converting to .WIM: Run as admin & fix # of OS and letter of installation flash drive: ! Be sure to use the right Drive letter so likely replace the E. 1-insert OS flashdrive,2- copy 1st string to Word doc...
  3. Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM;...

Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM;...: Hello, I have downloaded the following file directly from Microsoft: 17763.379.190312-0539.rs5_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTBUSINESS_VOL_x64FRE_de-de.esd (3.3 GB in size) It contains almost all Windows 10 editions in ESD image format, Build 17763.379 stable. Then I...
  4. Error during convert from ESD to WIM image MSMG Toolkit 9.1

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error during convert from ESD to WIM image MSMG Toolkit 9.1: Hi ! I'm using MSMG Toolkit 9.1 (All operations I'm doing on Windows 10_64bit_build 1809 having administrator rights ) When I want to convert ESD to WIM (install.esd to install.wim) windows_10.iso , I'm receiving next message 'D:\MSMG' is not recognized as an internal or...
  5. Anyone used winreducer wim converter?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyone used winreducer wim converter?: Anyone used winreducer wim converter? 5061
  6. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  7. Create a wim or esd file with no volume image

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a wim or esd file with no volume image: [img] Hi Using Windows ADK 10 v1511, it is possible to create a wim or esd file with no volume image so that I can add them later? Thanks Bye 42214
  8. convert wim file to vdh

convert wim file to vdh: I have several custom wim files each containing bootable windows 7 images plus applications how do I convert these to a format to run as virtual PC's in VMware or Virtual box. There are many solutions out there (notably using a convert-windowsimage .ps1 in powershell) but...
  9. Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?

Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?: Hi guys, I'm trying to make a 10 Pro 10586 image with MDT 2013 Update 1 and I cannot use the ISO I got from the Media Creation Tool. I realized this is because the ISO now uses a install.esd instead of install.wim; I read that it is possible to extract the .wim from a ESD...
  10. Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10: How to: Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. script to convert esd to wim