Windows 10: Stupid behavior of Edge and IE when dealing with file:-URLs

Discus and support Stupid behavior of Edge and IE when dealing with file:-URLs in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; As I had to learn during a trainride without network connectivity Edge and IE are unable to open local (html- and other) files (i.e. files that are... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mmo, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Stupid behavior of Edge and IE when dealing with file:-URLs

As I had to learn during a trainride without network connectivity Edge and IE are unable to open local (html- and other) files (i.e. files that are referenced using a file://...-URL). They claim, that they can't resolve the hostname! Poor show! ||-(

Google's Chrome has no issue at all with such URLs and opens those files without the slightest problem!

This is especially annoying if using some tool that allows to refer to other files using a URL, e.g. certain mind-mapping tools that allow to reference other docs via URLs.

:)

2. BMuse Win User

Edge does not integrate with the Taskbar for spawning new browser sessions

If Edge is the new IE, then Houston we have a problem.

The problem with browser and taskbar interaction is very apparent. As an example if you try using Outlook in Windows 7 IE and then again in Edge.

Using 10 open Outlook.com, try CNTRL-N, close new mail, refresh Outlook.com, and then WIN-Shift # for browser/Edge on the task bar. Nothing happens, no new browser session.

Rinse and repeat for Windows 7 or 8x using IE. You will get a new browser session.

[My Take respectfully]

This to me is not a "One in a million problem" it is a UI behavior change in Edge that is less productive and interferes with some websites behaviors. As in previous example. Especially noticeable when you are dealing with large volumes of boxes, servers
    using multiple OS/browser versions and same for client machines.

I know the Windows UI hands-down, and that is all I drive. I even have an undocumented UI web shortcut and taskbar behavior that I have been sitting on.

BMuse, Dec 13, 2017
  3. NedRuete Win User
    Uninstall Microsof Edge

I'm too old to learn how to use Edge or to start trying to deal with my One Drive Office files in Edge instead of the original program. And every time I click a link, it opens in Edge and I have to copy and paste the URL to IE. And every time I think I'll
    try Edge one more time and try to type a URL into the address bar, instead of getting the site I typed I get pages of Bing suggestions for people who want to sell me something that has something in the name that looks a little like the URL.

How do I disable Edge? Or at least make IE the default and turn of Bing suggestions in Edge?

NedRuete, Dec 13, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Viewing pages in Edge can't be saved in the traditional way as with IE, however they can be saved in other ways.

Are you saying if you save a page in IE as any of the below that your mind-mapping tools cannot open them?

Stupid behavior of Edge and IE when dealing with file:-URLs [​IMG]

Tony K, Dec 13, 2017
  5. MMO
    mmo Win User
    No - it's not about saving any pages to files (and then re-opening them). It's about files that are already on disk, e.g .while writing/developing a webpage or referencing local files through file:...-URLs, i.e. through links.

6. Tony K Win User
    Sounds to me like IE and Edge are protecting you from opening files in that they can't check the hostname against a list of malicious sites, whereas Chrome doesn't have that safety feature or you have that turned off in it. I don't use Chrome, so not familiar, however, you can turn those features off in IE and Edge.

Tony K, Dec 14, 2017
  7. MMO
    mmo Win User
    Well, if it were a safety "feature" then I'd prefer to be asked instead of blocked.

8. Tony K Win User

I see. Again, not familiar with Chrome. Does it ask you upon installation how you want it configured? IMO, MS is concerned about security so some security features are set to on by default. However, one has the option to turn features off (or on).

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Stupid behavior of Edge and IE when dealing with file:-URLs - Similar Threads - Stupid behavior Edge

2. MS Edge IE Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Edge IE Mode: Hi, as the support for IE is due to be finished, this will be removed from our machines but this brings in an issue with loading legacy pages within Edge in IE Modei have removed IE from a machine by turning the feature off since then Edge will not load any legacy sites in IE...
  3. Cortana, edge, and the stupid news

in Cortana
    Cortana, edge, and the stupid news: How do I delete the stupid cortana, edge and microsoft news? I'm so sick and tired of having this worthless and DUMB apps pushed on me. how do i delete them FOREVER?...
  4. Edge and IE 11

in Browsers and Email
    Edge and IE 11: When I open Edge, it always goes to the last page I was on. I want to set a Home Page and have it open on the Home Page every time. How do I do that? How do I get the IE icon on the Taskbar? 120659
  5. Edge - Not Smooth URL SearchBar

in Browsers and Email
    Edge - Not Smooth URL SearchBar: This is an odd one, and a minor gripe, so please bear with me. As of yesterday when I click the URL searchbar (at the top) the transition to "most popular" and "log" happens in two chunks without a smooth scroll. The best way to describe this is if you click the "..."...
  6. IE not edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  7. IE not edge

in Windows 10 Support
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  8. EDGE opens a URL and then redirects to a different URL

in Browsers and Email
    EDGE opens a URL and then redirects to a different URL: When I put in Anadarko High School Class Of 1959, Anadarko, OK the page opens for a second and then is redirected to Welcome. This does not happen in Firefox, it opens the anadarko59 site and stays there. As far as I know, the anadarko59 URL is the only one this happens to...
  9. When will IE and Edge go away?

in Browsers and Email
    When will IE and Edge go away?: MS will never drop Edge. It would be a total humiliation. On tablets and touch screens Edge is great. I would use Edge all tthe time in my non touch laptop if it was not for one truly irritating bug. When I rapid scroll on a newly presented page with my mouse wheel, it...
  10. IE or Edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE or Edge: which is better to use Edge or IE sorry i'm a bit confused are they the same but different or are they just different why did MS keep both 20303