Windows 10: Stupid Compression Overlay Arrows Won't Go Away

Discus and support Stupid Compression Overlay Arrows Won't Go Away in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I tried the method of dealing with this problem @ (Topic), but, it doesn't work. I also tried another method on a different site that used the wrong... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by gremlinkurst, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Stupid Compression Overlay Arrows Won't Go Away

I tried the method of dealing with this problem @ (Topic), but, it doesn't work. I also tried another method on a different site that used the wrong name for the key (and it didn't make my shortcut overlays vanish, either—which would have been actually undesirable, had it worked).

Those stupid arrows are still there, blocking out a significant portion of my icons. I noticed another key which seems related, but is not mentioned at linked page:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers (Default) {string} Value Not Set

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they decided to simultaneously implement two methods of providing a visual cue for file compression WITHOUT providing users the power to specify which is to be used:

1. Render filenames in blue
    2. Diagonal double-arrow icon overlay (transparent to user, automatically turned on when option #1 is selected)

One user at another site suggested turning off file compression to "fix" the issue.

"Reason" for infraction: Jack-booted fascist censorship. Reason given by moderator: "Removed unneeded comments." Brick thinks he's a WRITER. He's not an author whose first publication was during the Vietnam war...like yours truly.

GO AHEAD. Ban me for life. You SUCK. I don't WANT to be a member here, you Microsoft sycophants!

:)

gremlinkurst, Apr 16, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 10 Folders.

The blue arrows overlay icon on a folder or a file indicates that it is compressed using NTFS file system compression to save disk space.

Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Apr 16, 2017
  3. Desktop Arrow Symbols

Hello Dave,

The OP is referring to the double blue arrows at the top right of the icons instead of the shortcut arrow overlay at the bottom left of the icon.

The double blue arrows do indeed indicate it is compressed.

Shawn Brink, Apr 16, 2017
Thema:

Stupid Compression Overlay Arrows Won't Go Away

1. Stupid Compression Overlay Arrows Won't Go Away - Similar Threads - Stupid Compression Overlay

2. OneDrive won't go away

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive won't go away: Hey hey!So, I don't like the cloud. I don't want my stuff saved anywhere in the cyberspaces. When I got my compy fixed after my HD bit the dust, upon setting up windows again, I guess I missed the part where it asks you if you want to use OneDrive and stuff started backing...
  3. OneDrive won't go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive won't go away: Hey hey!So, I don't like the cloud. I don't want my stuff saved anywhere in the cyberspaces. When I got my compy fixed after my HD bit the dust, upon setting up windows again, I guess I missed the part where it asks you if you want to use OneDrive and stuff started backing...
  4. hidden icon arrow not going away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hidden icon arrow not going away: I am wondering why is it when there are no hidden icons , the arrow will not go away in Windows 11? In personalization, taskbar and under other system tray icons, I see the hidden icon menu. Some do not have it. How to fix it so that when no icons are hidden, the arrow goes...
  5. hidden icon arrow not going away

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hidden icon arrow not going away: I am wondering why is it when there are no hidden icons , the arrow will not go away in Windows 11? In personalization, taskbar and under other system tray icons, I see the hidden icon menu. Some do not have it. How to fix it so that when no icons are hidden, the arrow goes...
  6. "Compressed (zipped) folders" message box appears and won't go away!

in Windows 10 Support
    "Compressed (zipped) folders" message box appears and won't go away!: "Compressed (zipped) folders" message box appears and won't go away! Why?Error message in Windows 10 "Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue." I do not even KNOW what that means!! It takes 3 to 12 "cancels to get rid of it when it...
  7. Volume media overlay is displaying this and it won't go away...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Volume media overlay is displaying this and it won't go away...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MatthewTheManiac [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jjal9f/volume_media_overlay_is_displaying_this_and_it/
  8. Taskbar won't go away!

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar won't go away!: Windows 10 / Version 1903 OS build 18.362.778 (64-bit version) I've been having this problem for a while. The taskbar used to occasionally, randomly and regularly stay at the bottom of the screen. It wouldn't hide itself (as it was set up to do) until I opened the Task...
  9. Hand and Arrow Pointer Won't Go Away When Watching Videos

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hand and Arrow Pointer Won't Go Away When Watching Videos: This used to happen intemittently. Now it happens all the time. When watching videos on Amazon, the hand just stays there on the screen. I have to bring it all the way down to the taskbar, where it changes to an arrow. When watching videos on YouTube, the arrow stays on...
  10. SmartScreen won't go away

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SmartScreen won't go away: I've disabled SmartScreen in Edge and Internet Explorer, but it still shows up when I launch games asking me if "Okay" essentially. I want this disabled completely. What do I do?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file blue arrows wont go away