Windows 10: Subtitles can be use to hack computers and media players

Discus and support Subtitles can be use to hack computers and media players in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; New kind of threat have been found by Check Point researchers. Media players (standalone and on computers), including popular ones like VLC, KODI and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AndreTen, May 23, 2017.

1. AndreTen Win User

Subtitles can be use to hack computers and media players

New kind of threat have been found by Check Point researchers. Media players (standalone and on computers), including popular ones like VLC, KODI and smart TVs, can be hacked by malicious subtitles.

Developers are already updating their applications with patches, but to update smart devices and media boxes will take some time, if ever.

Read more on blog.checkpoint.com | hacked-in-translation or your favorite news page.

:)

AndreTen, May 23, 2017

2. Windows 10 - Subtitles in Recorded TV WTV files.

I used Windows 7 Media Center to record a few thousands of DVB-T TV shows. Many of these show include Subtitles that can only be seen when played back in Media Center.

After upgrade to Windows 10 I can no longer see te Subtitles. Windows Media Player has some settings of Subtiles but no matter how the settings are adjusted I can not see the subtitles.

I have tried many other playerers but none could show the subtitles.

I have reverted to WIndows 7 for now.

Are there somebody out there that can help with this problem ?

Codec information summary:

Sound:

MPEG ACC Audio (mp4a)

Subtitles:

DVB Subtitles (dvbs)

Language Danish

Video:

H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (h264)

Thank You

Sam Samalsson, May 23, 2017
  3. my htc 8s windowsphone does not showing subtitles is there any way to show the subtitle

There is no player in the entire windows marketplace that allows you to load subtitles for the movies you are watching on the phone.

Luckily for all of us, VLC team is building a version of their popular VLC media player to windows phone 8. Once VLC comes to the app store, I am sure you can load subtitles and things like that. As of now, sorry, there is no solution.

Jay_answers, May 23, 2017
  4. Umbra Win User

just use a sandbox soft to isolate your medias/internet-facing apps and you wont have to worry about those attacks.

Umbra, May 24, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    VLC released an update yesterday 2.2.6.

swarfega, May 24, 2017
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Do that with your TV *Sad

AndreTen, May 24, 2017
  7. Umbra Win User
    My TV isn't smart enough to allow subtitles *Biggrin

Umbra, May 24, 2017
  8. AndreTen Win User

Neither is mine, but there are many that are *Wink And they are in home networks, and ideal entry to hack other computers...

AndreTen, May 24, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    Thanks for this warning Andre. I understand KODI have released an update to take care of this. Now to find the list of all the Fire devices that need updating......*Huh

simrick, May 24, 2017
  10. AndreTen Win User
    I think that danger to English speaking population is far less serious than others. Key to prevent possible attack is not to have automatic subtitles loading enabled.

Beside non-major language users, like me in Slovenia, who are using subtitles on daily basis, there are also users with hearing problems, which are using auto-loading subtitles for all the visual material. This population should be careful, till developers update applications.

AndreTen, May 24, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

a lot of this is rather "academic" -- especially if you run things like KODI on a firetv / firestick - there's nothing to hack on to that type of box way - although it's got an OS it's a passive type device with no meaningful data that is of any use to a hacker in any case.

Kodi and VLC regularly update their software and fixes already in the system.

For downloading subtitles - just ensure you only use recognized sites for subtitles - and ideally if they are of type .SRT they are readable text so should be OK. Go for .SRT type subtitles rather than the other sorts which could possibly contain executables.

I always use a fire stick / firetv box for watching multi-media but if you do use a phone / computer then your A/V system should protect you against this type of problem. ALWAYS though install the security updates when VLC / KODI issue new releases.

Tip for non English speaking users or users who want other languages.

Download the English subtitle (the .SRT file) as there's usually an English version available even when no other languages are.
    Now simply use any of the online translation services (FREE) and you've got the subtitle in your own language. Fix / modify as required.

Note both KODI and VLC have "offset adjustments" to get subtitle in sync with the lips - kodi is easy as you can do it in real time while watching the movie.

Usually subtitles from opensubtitles.org or subscene.com are fine - use the appropriate frame rate and those with the 5 ***** rating usually work. AVOID THOUGH ANY RE-DIRECTS or other download buttons --ensure you actually download the subtitle and not something like driver manager etc etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 28, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Actually, I'm thinking that hacking Fire devices could be used the same like IoT (smart-home) devices - DDoS attacks.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Subtitles can be use to hack computers and media players - Similar Threads - Subtitles hack computers

2. Windows Media Player: Subtitles Don't Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player: Subtitles Don't Work: I have an mp4 with a subtitle stream built in not burned in, which plays perfectly in every media player except windows media player.One simply goes to the subtitles menu, wherever that is, and selects the subtitle track to include.Windows media player "old" with the blue...
  3. Windows Media Player: Subtitles Don't Work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player: Subtitles Don't Work: I have an mp4 with a subtitle stream built in not burned in, which plays perfectly in every media player except windows media player.One simply goes to the subtitles menu, wherever that is, and selects the subtitle track to include.Windows media player "old" with the blue...
  4. Do you have a media player with a dual subtitle and cast TV?

Do you have a media player with a dual subtitle and cast TV?: HelloI'm looking for two features of the media player for windows 11 which are dual subtitles means can have 2 subtitles at the same time and cast TV. The file I use is MKV and HEVC.Thank you....
  5. Unable to use subtitles in Windows DVD player

Unable to use subtitles in Windows DVD player: I purchased Windows DVD player from the app store and it plays DVDs well. The only thing is that I can't get it to display the subtitles embedded in my DVDs. I click on the little subtitles icon at the bottom left of the main DVD player screen when a DVD is playing and...
  6. Alternative to windows media player when watching a movie with a subtitle

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Alternative to windows media player when watching a movie with a subtitle: Recommend using Microsoft photos, here you can the add the subtitle can simply clicking the substile icon below the right hand corner. Hope this helps for everyone having difficulties playing a movie with subtitle....
  7. Subtitles in Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Subtitles in Windows Media Player: Hello. I am having a hard time viewing subtitles in Windows Media Player on my Windows 10. I have turned the "on if available" in Lyrics, Captions & Subtitles from the options menu, but it is still not loading. I dragged and dropped the subtitle file in the media player, but...
  8. Windows Media Player - Embedded subtitles in mkv files ???

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Media Player - Embedded subtitles in mkv files ???: Hello All, I have always had issues with subtitles in WMP, it is simply not user friendly at all. Now I have several *.mkv files that have subtitles built in, but even after selecting 'On if available' WMP is not showing any subs. It works in ALL other video players,...
  9. How to view external SRT subtitles in Media Player 12?

How to view external SRT subtitles in Media Player 12?: Hi, I have tried the following 3 programs to view some external SRT subtitle files. But they all are not ideal. (1) Windows Media Player Native Subtitle Plugin 1.0 (Can't work under win10) (2) Local Subtitles for WMP 1.6 (Media Foundation has to be disabled. Which stops...
  10. Windows Media Player Does not show subtitles

Windows Media Player Does not show subtitles: I know I can download codecs for this (which I have) or just use VLC, but how do you get Windows Media Player to show the subtitles of mkv files? Doing a right click and turning on Subtitles does nothing. Does anyone know how to fix this? If you want to test this, just...