Windows 10: Sudden Absence (inaccessibility) of Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

Discus and support Sudden Absence (inaccessibility) of Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am at a total loss over the sudden absence (inaccessibility) of the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) functionality in Windows 10. It served me well... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Ximocat, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Ximocat Win User

Sudden Absence (inaccessibility) of Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

I am at a total loss over the sudden absence (inaccessibility) of the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) functionality in Windows 10. It served me well even after I upgraded to Win 10. Now, all that shows up in the dedicated window when I right-click on Start, select Control Panel > Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is a single line of text and the entire user interface is missing. Clicking on the only remaining “Back up or restore your files” line of text leaves an unresponsive system. Nothing, naught, zero, nil, zilch happens! Restarting the system doesn't alleviate the problem.

HELP, I am at the wits end, since all my backed-up programs and files are stored on a dedicated NAS. Can someone please enlighten me on how to fix this awful in-my-face system?

Thanks,

:)

Ximocat, Jul 23, 2016

2. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Functionality Suddenly Inaccessible

I am at a total loss over the sudden absence (inaccessibility) of the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) functionality in Windows 10. It served me well even after I upgraded to Win 10. Now, all that shows up in the dedicated window when I right-click on Start,
    select Control Panel > Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is a single line of text and the entire user interface is missing. Clicking on the solitary “Back up or restore your files” line of text leaves an unresponsive system. Nothing, naught, zero, nil, zilch
    happens!!! Restarting the system doesn't alleviate the problem.

HELP, I am at the wits end, since all my backed-up programs and files are stored on a dedicated NAS. Can someone please enlighten me on how to fix this awful in-my-face system?

Thanks,

ChristianBerlit, Jul 23, 2016
  3. For Windows Phone 8, where in OneDrive are texts backed up to?

The text messages backup file is stored in an inaccessible location on One Drive, so there is still no way to download or view the backup file except by restoring it to a windows phone

Julie fka profjulie, Jul 23, 2016
  4. ELI
    Eli Win User

I think it disappear after 30 Days

5. Ximocat Win User
    Thank you for the prompt reply.
    I installed and have been running Win 10 for a number of months now. The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option worked well for me and I have been backing up all my files to a NAS without experiencing any problems -- until now, that is, when the system decided not to provide access to this feature any longer.

A central and popular backup utility disappearing after 30 Days doesn't make sense.

Ximocat, Jul 23, 2016
  6. ELI
    Eli Win User
    Did you play with regedit?
    Or used a another backup program?

7. Ximocat Win User
    I have neither played with 'regedit' nor used another backup program for backing-up my files to the NAS.

Ximocat, Jul 23, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

You can use a windows 10 installation drive to restore stuff.

Sounds like you need to do a repair upgrade (using installation disk).

cereberus, Jul 24, 2016
  9. Ximocat Win User
    I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 some time ago. Hence, I only have a Win 7 install disk and do not want to venture into a clean install... I did, however, create a System Image on a separate internal HDD by way of the same Win 10 Backup and Restore (Windows 7) utility that is no longer accessible.

FYI: I installed and have been running Win 10 on two computers (Desktop PC as well as a Laptop) over the period of a few months now. The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option worked well for me on both machines and I have been backing-up all my files as well as system images to a NAS without experiencing any problems -- until now, that is, when the system of the desktop PC decided not to provide access to this feature any longer. On the other hand, 'Backup and Restore (Win7)' still works perfectly well on the laptop.

In conclusion, I have tried -- and do not like -- third-party backup software. File History doesn’t work for me and my application. The original Win 7 B&R performed reliably and expediently (backups operated in the background on a schedule)...
    So, after so many years of dependable Windows 7 B&R operation, I will not give-in to “progress” easily.

Q: How can I technically resolve this distressing problem?

Ximocat, Jul 24, 2016
  10. Lambert58 Win User
    Ximocat, unfortunately I cannot give you real advice as I am in the same position. It started getting wonky for me a few months ago, I am set to back up weekly now It generally fails to locate its target image, which is where it always has been. Generally it will create a backup the second time, sometimes not at all. Today is a not a t all.

I am responding b/c the responses to your question seem to be not as effective as I have come to know and trust tenfourms as my goto for win10 issues, and I apologize for your experience. Hopefully someone will read your post and take some real consideration into assisting you. This is not the first thread on the topic as mentioned and you likely have read those threads. The thing is, so have I, and nothing seems to be a "Fix" that lasts more that one time, maybe twice, Backup is critical and I would thing that MS would want everyone to do this as often as possible, and want to be the provider of this service. Maybe not, maybe time to look at an alt method, I am getting close each time it fails.
    All the best to you, and here's to what works for you, works for others as well, even meself.
    Kudos.

And please, this is not a slag on anyone, any response is generally a helpful, even if it is only to acknowledge a person who is having a bit of a crisis, I know I respect any response, if if it useless like my own post right here is in solving the real issue.

Lambert58, Aug 7, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Of course it does not disappear after 30 days. This has nothing to so with rollback. A repair upgrade is way forward. You can still use a usb installation drive to restore old backups.

cereberus, Aug 7, 2016
  12. I have to presume that the OP has backed up his Win 10 system multiple times on his Local network storage. With that since he can't restore his system from within Windows, since its "inoperable" I think ? Did he create a System restore (CD or USB) unit ? The purpose of having one of these (whether you using the Win 7 BU/Restore or a third party system) is to be able to restore your system in the event when it "Nolonger Boots", for what ever reason. So does the OP have a Win10 system restore (CD/DVD/USB) ?

storageman, Aug 8, 2016
  13. Ximocat Win User

I upgraded Win 10 to Version 1607, OS Build 145393.10 yesterday night and -- surprise, surprise, surprise -- subject problem went away!
    Unfortunately, I cannot provide detailed information about the root cause of the problem and yet suspect a bug in the previous OS build that sidelined/disabled the ‘Backup and Restore (Windows 7)’ functionality.

I can back-up to my NAS again, burned a new repair disk and created a new system image. I also can sleep better now and recommend upgrading Win 10 to the aforementioned OS Build when you experience subject problem(s).

In conclusion, I am not a software developer. I am not into OS hacking. I am merely a retired engineer owning and operating a high-performance dual CPU workstation (Dell Precision T7910). So, the windows OS and task specific apps are tools, in my perspective. Very important tools! Moreover, I cannot afford loosing valuable programs, data, graphics and information, because of data backup and restore anomalies...

And since my problem is that I have thoughts, a clean install on every OS glitch and starting all over again will never enchant me. On the other hand -- contrasting Apple’s UNIX based open system -- Windows 10 is an exclusive book with seven seals into which I have only a limited view. So, I trust the programming talent of Microsoft software engineers and hope that the new Win 10 release will now have the same robustness I have become accustomed to during the Windows 7 years.

Ximocat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Sudden Absence (inaccessibility) of Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - Similar Threads - Sudden Absence inaccessibility

2. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: HiMy Windows is 11 x64 latest version, When I want use Backup and Restore Windows 7, my Drive F: is also selected by default to backup and I can not deselect it why this happed?! I want just backup my drive C: because the backup size is too large with drivce F:...
  3. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: Why does Control Panel Backup and Restore show Windows 7?. I have a desktop with Windows 11 and Microsoft. Am I going to have a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7/ffb8d8b9-02e6-40fa-9373-25dd94f803bb
  4. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: I have the Backup and Restore Windows 7 set to backup every day and I see that it creates a new folder each day. If I wanted to restore, am I correct that everything on my SSD would be erased system files, programs and data and replaced by the info from the Backup and Restore...
  5. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  6. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  7. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Windows 7 backup & restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 backup & restore: Why do you use Windows 7 for backup & restore? 7 seems so out of date and I'm having a problem with it reading the Flash drive in it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-backup-restore/188f750b-188d-435d-af8f-159f500286db
  9. Windows 7 backup/restore

Windows 7 backup/restore: I use this backup option on weekdays. Unfortunately the app does not allow skipping weekend days. Is there a way to automatically limit backups to weekdays? Thanks for any help....
  10. Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7): My PC originally came with XP (OEM). My upgrade procedure was to install an SSD and load 8.1 on that. When booting for the first time, I was surprised but pleased to see that I had the choice of 8.1 or XP. Subsequently, I opted to upgrade to Win 10 and that worked in the same...