Windows 10: Sudden and temporary slowdowns. .exe processes "not responding"

Discus and support Sudden and temporary slowdowns. .exe processes "not responding" in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi guys, Have been working on this issue for a few days, but I cant seem to get anywhere. Im on a fresh install of windows 10 pro. Occasionally, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Pyrotonic, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Pyrotonic Win User

Sudden and temporary slowdowns. .exe processes "not responding"

Hi guys,

Have been working on this issue for a few days, but I cant seem to get anywhere. Im on a fresh install of windows 10 pro. Occasionally, I will experience an intense but temporary slow down. Every 20-40 minutes roughly. The system runs smooth as butter besides this. Ive noticed it while using chrome and also while playing arma3. I have not had much time to test it in other programs, but it seems to involve cpu intense processes. In chrome this happens when I open the program or load a new page. When I check the .exe process under my cpu tab in Perfmon it show the .exe as not responding. The program does recover after about 20-30 seconds without completely crashing. Disk usage is high during this hang and also the CPU light on my case is going warp speed. I monitor the performance monitor disk/cpu/memory tabs during this hang. Nothing seems out of the ordinary except that the .exe temporarily shows "not responding" under the cpu tab.

Thing I have tried:
    Full defrag
    limiting page filing
    freeing up physical memory
    system file checker
    removing any overclocks
    Malware scan
    turning off any and all non essential features and apps via the setting menu
    updating all my drivers: windows updates, motherboard, video card etc.

System specs are in my profile.

Please help me get my buttery smooth system back. This has only began to occur since installing windows 10. THanks a bunch. Lemme know if I can help you, help me.

:)

Pyrotonic, Aug 11, 2016
  2. hitch_11 Win User

about " memory full . close ... " problem ! n97 and equalizer !

i dont have any problems of those u listed i exit frrom all applications when i finish ! well this means there is no solution so thanks a lot nokia Sudden and temporary slowdowns. .exe processes "not responding" :(

and about the music i was talking about the phone loudspeaker .. !

hitch_11, Aug 11, 2016
  3. hitch_11 Win User
    about " memory full . close ... " problem ! n97 and equalizer !

1-hey ..! i did a format to my nokia n97 few days ago .. before i did the format i had the problem that sometimes when i go to photos its says " memory full close some applicartions ..." and now i have it again ! so i just wanna know how to
    solve this problem its really annoying !

2- my best music kind is trance ,, but i dont enjoy listening trance on my n97 coz music does'nt sound good for this kind of music .. so i want to know if there is a way to make n97 music sounds like x6 or even 5800 ( i guess ) .. through some
    application or through equalizer or whatever ! i dont wanna get another phone Sudden and temporary slowdowns. .exe processes "not responding" :(

hope u help me .. ! thanks Sudden and temporary slowdowns. .exe processes "not responding" :)

hitch_11, Aug 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you could somehow post a screenshot or even a photo of your task manager when this happens, appropriate columns organised to show highest using processes at the top, someone may be able to help. Thanks.

dalchina, Aug 13, 2016
  5. Pyrotonic Win User
    *SadHey you go. Looks the same every time. Disk usage is 99% or 100%. Processor usage stay lows the entire time. Windows, chrome and Arma3 slow down and stutter. Everything eventually recovers. The "not responding" status occurs for chrome aswell. Also im running a clean boot. Windows services only.

The last picture is of the disk usage with filtered to show just the system process as it appears to spike in disk usage alongside Arma3.

THanks Dood!*Smile

Pyrotonic, Aug 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, doesn't look likely to be anything fundamental about your system at first glance in terms of the OS misbehaving.

Your last screenshot does show a paging issue... swap file use. But Arma 3 is a huge game as commented in one of the links below.

** It also shows a remarkable amount of what appears to be event logging.
    So:
    Have a look at
    a. Your reliability history
    (Just type relia into the search box on the taskbar - should find it)
    b. Your event log
    Look for the most serious/frequent reports.
    Please post this from event viewer:

Sudden and temporary slowdowns. .exe processes "not responding" [​IMG]

I find Event Log Explorer (freeware) gives an easy view:

Sudden and temporary slowdowns. .exe processes "not responding" [​IMG]

Does your PC meet the hardware specs for the game? (SSD is much faster).
    Do you need Chrome running at the same time?

You've probably read this about ARMA 3 which I understand to be a game:
    Heavy disk usage (could lower my SSD life?) - ARMA 3 - BETA DISCUSSION - Bohemia Interactive Forums

Comment here that it worked better installed on a different disk:
    ARMA 3 System Disk Usage, please help!! : arma

This tweak guide is mostly about frame rate, rather than disk related issues as far as I can see, so may not help with this:
    ARMA 3 Tweak Guide

I suspect you may be better asking about this on a forum dedicated to gaming.. or you may be lucky and someone here familiar with it may comment further

(Not sure what a 'Dood' is..!)

dalchina, Aug 15, 2016
  7. Pyrotonic Win User
    Hey,

Is the swap file an issue? I though that was normal behavior. I considered it being an Arma3 issue, butI have slow downs while doing stuff while Arma is closed. The disk shows the same pattern. Ive noticed this with chrome and with arma3 seperately. Its not a system requirement problem. The game runs smooth until the slow down begins and runs smooth afterwards. A system spec problem would be consistent. Besides I ran with the same exact settings on Win7 with the same computer. Never had issue. THanks for taking a look. Let me know if I can be helpful

Pyrotonic, Aug 16, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Well, we're looking for reasons why your disk is being hammered- sure, the swap file is used for paging in and out of RAM. From what you've shown, RAM isn't the issue. Which begs the question as to why the swap file is being used so heavily..

Have you customised your swap file parameters?

In passing.. if you believe there is disk contention and you have more than one disk, you might try moving the paging file (swap file) to a different disk, if that is indeed the issue.. unless it's a symptom of sthg else.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sudden and temporary slowdowns. .exe processes "not responding" - Similar Threads - Sudden temporary slowdowns

2. What is the "0vfo21l0.exe" process?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the "0vfo21l0.exe" process?: I saw it in task manager. I can't find it online. It had a NordVPN icon. I couldn't find it in any NordVPN file folders though.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-0vfo21l0exe-process/7ac9861c-3e18-4b41-8a11-8e7c10860d40
  3. What is the "0vfo21l0.exe" process?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the "0vfo21l0.exe" process?: I saw it in task manager. I can't find it online. It had a NordVPN icon. I couldn't find it in any NordVPN file folders though.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-0vfo21l0exe-process/7ac9861c-3e18-4b41-8a11-8e7c10860d40
  4. How to fix .exe Games that are not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix .exe Games that are not responding: Hi so when I open a game that uses .exe for its application it opens then loads for a sec or two the a message pops up saying the name.exe is not responding how do I fix this...
  5. How to fix .exe Games that are not responding

How to fix .exe Games that are not responding: Hi so when I open a game that uses .exe for its application it opens then loads for a sec or two the a message pops up saying the name.exe is not responding how do I fix this...
  6. JAVA suddenly not responding

JAVA suddenly not responding: Not talking about the "not responding" error message. Its not responding at all, whenever i try to open a program that is java based, whether it is the app for configuring java or a unifi controller, nothing comes up, no error messages. I have tried to search the web to find...
  7. A .EXE file missing suddenly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A .EXE file missing suddenly: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 home single language since 2018.I update my Windows to 1909 version. I recently start to play a game and my game's .exe file suddenly erased or deleted from the game main directory. I have to reinstall the game for now several times for a week. Is it...
  8. Mediacreationtool2004.exe not responding

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mediacreationtool2004.exe not responding: Tried as administrator, to run this but the "Progress" is stuck at 0%. Tried creating an iso instead of USB stick but same problem. Is there a solution please?...
  9. What is rundll32.exe process? Is it a virus?

in Windows 10 News
    What is rundll32.exe process? Is it a virus?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]A lot of Windows users have doubts about whether the rundll32.exe process that they see in the Task Manager is a genuine process or a virus. The reason behind these inquiries is the paranoia created by fraud tech support companies [...] This post What is...
  10. Sudden Slowdown in Internet Speed on One Laptop Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sudden Slowdown in Internet Speed on One Laptop Only: Good day, Up until recently Ive had a steady and stable internet connection on all devices, however recently on one laptop the connection is now incredibly slow (multiple tests on bandwidthplace.com show download speeds of 0.1 Mbps while on another laptop connected to the...