Windows 10: Sudden Drop in Performance, Massive Spikes in CPU Usage (Lenovo G51)

Discus and support Sudden Drop in Performance, Massive Spikes in CPU Usage (Lenovo G51) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo G51 which is hooked up to my home entertainment gear and used primarily to capture video either through a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by koberulz, Aug 8, 2018.

1. koberulz Win User

Sudden Drop in Performance, Massive Spikes in CPU Usage (Lenovo G51)

I have a Lenovo G51 which is hooked up to my home entertainment gear and used primarily to capture video either through a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle using Blackmagic Media Express, or through a Hauppauge USB Live 2.0 using AmarecTV.

Recently I've started dropping massive numbers of frames every minute or two, including locking up the entire BME program. AmarecTV is nice enough to note usage in the status bar, and the CPU usage hovers around 25% for the most part - it used to do this for an entire three-hour VHS tape capture. However now, it's doing that for a couple of minutes followed by about 30 seconds of percentages well over 100, going as high as 180. And this is for SD tape capture: I used to be able to capture a couple of hours of HD video with no issues. Hard drive usage is in the single digits, so that's not the issue.

:)

koberulz, Aug 8, 2018

2. Explorer constantly spiking CPU usage for Win 10

Hi. Thank you for your answer. I tried all your suggestions, but nothing helped.

Clean bot seems helped at first but no after some hours spikes came back and now spiking more often with every hour of PC working.

Same happened also without clean boot.

Any other suggestions what to try ?

Just to let you know that I worked with Win 7 before with even more programs installed than now and I did not switched off my PC for weeks and CPU usage was lower in general not to talk about any spikes in CPU, newer noticed anything like that...

Thanks

DanielRamirezz, Aug 8, 2018
  3. Lag Spikes caused by CPU usage drops and GPU usage spikes after Windows 10 April update

Since the April 10th update for Windows 10, my laptop has been suffering from lag spikes that occur during simple tasks such as browsing the internet.

When looking at the task manager during these spikes, I can see that the CPU usage drops to around 10% while the GPU usage increases to close to 100%. I looked at what programs were using large portions of the GPU which turned out to be the 'Desktop window
    manager' and the 'Client server runtime process'.

I've seen that other people have had a similar problem with the recent update, but not much in the way of solutions as of yet. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Jason

JasonWilcock, Aug 8, 2018
  4. TheMole Win User

CPU spikes and performance lag

Hi everyone. During the past few days I have a problem regarding my computer performance.

Problem:
    -My computer is getting random performance lags that last 3-5 seconds.
    -The cpu usage will jump when it happens; anywhere from 50-100%.
    -Large Ethernet spikes as well.
    -It's completely random and is very hard to catch but it happens when I'm:
    a. browsing the internet ; engaging in miniscule internet activities.
    b. opening an application on my computer.
    c. watching a video, both on and outside the internet.
    d. playing a software intensive game.

symptoms:
    -Computer slows but doesn't freeze
    -the really bad spikes are up to 100% cpu usage; usually though they are 50-80%.
    -Video sound gets distorted and choppy; like if you have an injured CD that still plays right through the scratches but gets all choppy sounding.
    -often times the mouse pointer will, all of the sudden, be trailing during the strange slow motion performance lag.

I had the same problem for like a week and it all of a sudden got fixed without me doing anything. However after 3-4 days the problem returned.

Do you have any ideas for a solution. I scanned my computer with Avast Security and it found no viruses on my computer.

My specs:
    - Windows 10 build 14393
    - Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
    - Driver version 375.50
    - Intel Core i5-6600 CPU @ 3.50 GHz

TheMole, Aug 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Sudden Drop in Performance, Massive Spikes in CPU Usage (Lenovo G51) - Similar Threads - Sudden Drop Performance

2. Sudden drop in cpu usage while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden drop in cpu usage while gaming: So I'm trying to play NFS Heat, the game runs fine on about 60 fps for 10 minutes or so but then the fps suddenly drops to like 5-10 for a few seconds and then runs again normally. This happens every 5-10 minute while I'm trying to play. One thing I have noticed in task...
  3. Sudden drop in cpu usage while gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden drop in cpu usage while gaming: So I'm trying to play NFS Heat, the game runs fine on about 60 fps for 10 minutes or so but then the fps suddenly drops to like 5-10 for a few seconds and then runs again normally. This happens every 5-10 minute while I'm trying to play. One thing I have noticed in task...
  4. CPU spiking then dropping

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CPU spiking then dropping: I have a PC for gaming,Core i7 10700KRTX 3060 Ti 16GB RAM1x 4TB HDD2x 1TB M.2My CPU has this weird trend I've noticed recently which I think has been a cause of my games freezing usuallyI'm not sure whether this is a virus or not, but whenever I look through Process Hacker,...
  5. Massive CPU frequency drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Massive CPU frequency drop: Hello everyone. I have a strange problem. I have an Acer Aspire A715-75G 8GB, GTX 1650, i5-10300H. Every once in a while, my laptop freezes for about 4 or 5 seconds and then returns to normal. When it freezes, background activity continues, but I can no longer do anything...
  6. Massive CPU frequency drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Massive CPU frequency drop: Hello everyone. I have a strange problem. I have an Acer Aspire A715-75G 8GB, GTX 1650, i5-10300H. Every once in a while, my laptop freezes for about 4 or 5 seconds and then returns to normal. When it freezes, background activity continues, but I can no longer do anything...
  7. Massive CPU frequency drop

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. MASSIVE graphic performance drop in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    MASSIVE graphic performance drop in 20H2: Hello everyone! I understand that the build is very new but I wanted to ask if what's happening on my pc right now is normal. I own an Idepad Flex 5 14ARE05 with ryzen 5 4500u and vega6 graphics. With 2004 my OpenGL (cinebench R15) benchmark score was around 55/56 fps. Once...
  9. Spikes in CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Spikes in CPU usage: Hi, In my current version of windows, I can see random spikes in CPU usage. This happens even when the device is not being used. I can see CPU % on my Rainmeter skin go from 1% to 17%. Any fixes? I have an ASUS S550CM Intel i5 1.7 GHz 8 GB RAM Nvidia GT 635M...
  10. Sudden massive CPU usage

in Windows 10 Support
    Sudden massive CPU usage: I was fine until about 3 days ago, I was trying to root a Droid tablet that was bricked so I had to install something called Keis along with a cracking tool for Droid called Odin. The PDA files I needed were stashed on a Mega site, and it would not let me download them until...