Windows 10: sudden loss of HD space

Discus and support sudden loss of HD space in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I had almost 300 g of 500 g free and suddenly it went to under 100 g. I did a system restore from before the memory loss and it is still there. can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by thelastzack, Nov 1, 2015.

1. sudden loss of HD space

I had almost 300 g of 500 g free and suddenly it went to under 100 g. I did a system restore from before the memory loss and it is still there. can I find these 'files' and delete them or what is the problem?

:)

thelastzack, Nov 1, 2015

2. Sudden loss of 165 gig of hard drive space

For no apparent reason I went from more than 165 gig open on my C drive to only 200 mb. The User folder in Windows 10 now shows it takes up more than 165 gig but its contents do not. Help, what should I do?

GilTanenbaum, Nov 1, 2015
  3. Sudden loss of 165 gig of hard drive space

There is a good 3rd party (free) tool called treesize (from Jam software) that will tell you what is using the space

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 1, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

sudden loss of HD space

topgundcp, Nov 1, 2015
  5. aelaan Win User
    Were you using file history to an external device and disconnected this? Windows will put these in a special "hold" folder until you reconnect the external device. A descriptive symptom is here: but is is not - Microsoft Community

aelaan, Nov 1, 2015
  6. much appreciated thank you
    yes this was likely the issue

thelastzack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

sudden loss of HD space

1. sudden loss of HD space - Similar Threads - sudden loss space

2. Sudden loss in wifi connection on laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sudden loss in wifi connection on laptop: Hi! I have a problem with wifi on my home laptop, unfortunately it happened again. Everything is fine the wifi works perfectly fine and all of the sudden it disconnects and isn’t shown on list but all of my neighbour’s wifi are. It once happened before and I couldn’t connect...
  3. sudden file loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sudden file loss: Sudden file loss after May windows update. Slideshow background option unresponsive. Is my file structure corrupted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sudden-file-loss/529abc34-b51e-441b-b70c-03f9c4ada01b
  4. sudden file loss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sudden file loss: Sudden file loss after May windows update. Slideshow background option unresponsive. Is my file structure corrupted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sudden-file-loss/529abc34-b51e-441b-b70c-03f9c4ada01b
  5. sudden file loss

6. Random loss of hard drive space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random loss of hard drive space?: Dropbox said something about too little memory and then i checked "My PC" and it said 8GB. Then i searched on my PC if there are files i do not need, i literally come back after 1min and it says 2GB?! How? I can not think of anything, i don't remember that i installed...
  7. Sudden loss of audio

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sudden loss of audio: Was on youtube,everything's fine,then bam,no audio,and I checked all the normal things you might think of,there was no intervention or modification on my part,and the device manager says everything is okay,so what is it? submitted by /u/Salt-Pattern-1917 [link] [comments]...
  8. C driveOS space loss

C driveOS space loss: I recently installed windows 10 version 1709 ,and later updated to version 1903. i see that the space in c drive is gradually decreasing without any reason,,space occupied by the programme file is fixed. i noticed that about 2.5 gb space is occupied by pagefiles. i have 6 gb...
  9. After latest W10 update, suddenly lost a lot of hd space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After latest W10 update, suddenly lost a lot of hd space: Hi there, After the last Windows 10 update, I sudden lost almost 10 gigs of SSD hd space. Getting the message. I've tried uninstalling what bloatware I could find and cleaning the cache/recycling/temp files, etc. I don't know where this extra weight is coming from. Has...
  10. Loosing HD Space...HELP !

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Loosing HD Space...HELP !: I have a Dell Tablet running Windows 10. 32Gig HD. Down to 5 Gigs free space. I keep loosing free space. A month ago I had 6.5 Gigs of free space. Today, I am down to 5 Gigs. I have no idea whats going on. I have turned off Windows Auto Updates, turned off the Windows...