Windows 10: Sudden restarts after upgrading memory

Discus and support Sudden restarts after upgrading memory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi More than a month ago I upgraded my memory to 16GB from 8GB (added one stick). Since then it was working much faster and everything seemed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by amos, Oct 19, 2017.

1. amos Win User

Sudden restarts after upgrading memory

Hi

More than a month ago I upgraded my memory to 16GB from 8GB (added one stick).

Since then it was working much faster and everything seemed to be ok but I experienced 3 sudden restarts of the Windows (the last one was last night, at 3am when I was asleep).

I made tests to the memory using Windows tester (don't remember the name) and it was ok. I also tested using memtest, 6 passes, no error. I can work on my computer for hours, it can be on for days and everything is ok but at some point I go to my computer and it is after a restart (2 out of 3 was at night).

I disabled the automatic restart on system failure but I didn't see a BSOD, is that an indication that it's not a memory?
    I updated all my drivers and ran 2 related troubleshooting of Windows 10 and it found nothing.

After last night restart, I changed the memory settings in the bios to be in "better stability" mode. Not sure what is the meaning and whether it will help.

Is there a way I can check what is causing it? The memory is just a guess because of the circumstances.
    Any other tips I have missed?

Thanks

:)

2. Sudden restarts after upgrading memory

Hello,

We would like to know more about this concern for us to properly isolate the issue and provide a suitable resolution. Please provide the following information:

• Aside from upgrading your memory, did you make any changes to your computer's configuration prior to the issue?
    • Can you also please confirm the current build of your Windows 10?
    (Type winver into the Cortana search box, then hit
    Enter.)

In the meantime, let's perform clean boot on your PC. This process will get the computer up and running so that you can perform diagnostic tests to determine which elements of the normal boot process are causing the issue.

Please check this link
    for instructions on how to perform Clean boot in Windows.

Note: After the troubleshooting, boot your computer in normal mode by checking the same link and look for
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting.

We're looking forward to your response.

Antoneth Ber, Oct 19, 2017
  3. Amos S. Win User

Thank you for your reply.

While upgrading the memory, I also updated all the drivers.

I updated Windows 2 days ago to the latest 1709 16299.19

I know the memory is the immediate suspect but I wonder why every test I make shows that everything is fine, also disabling the automatic restart on system failure, didn't bring up any BSOD, the restart happened anyway.
    All this make me suspect that something else is causing it, maybe a driver or heat. Is there a driver collision checker? Is there an application that write heat logs to the disk so if it happens again I could see if heat was the problem?

I remind you that the computer is working hard along the day, 11-12GB of the memory is in use and it works wonderfully. I go to sleep, the apps are working but I obviously do nothing with them and then it happens, in the least time you expect it to happen.

Before starting clean boot, the problem happened 3 times in 20+ days (averagely once a week), do you mean I should do a clean boot and work with it for a week+ hoping it will (not) happen, or the clean boot itself, will give me some info and immediately
    I can go back to normal boot?

Amos S., Oct 19, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

1) Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:

How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums General Tips Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Please include PSU, cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless: mouse, keyboard, printer, headset, xbox, etc.)

This is the DM log collector that we use in the bsod forum. It will collect many logs that can be used during the troubleshooting including mini dumps, msinfo32, dxdiag, event log etc.
    Please post a zip into the thread:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

2) Download and install CPU-Z:

Please run
    CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID
    CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID
    open it and make screenshots of the following tabs
    CPU
    Mainboard
    Memory
    SPD*
    Graphics

*SPD shows the details of each stick, you can show the details by choosing different slots in the left upper corner.
    Please make screenshots of each stick.

On the bottom click on tools > clocks > post an image into the thread

Please post each screenshot in your next reply/replies.

3) Make sure that there is no over clocking while troubleshooting.
    4) To ensure that there are no improper bios settings please reset the bios.
    5) Sometimes there can be failure to boot after resetting the bios.
    6) So please make sure your files are backed up.
    7) Please make a backup image with Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    8) And please create a brand new restore point.
    How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings:
    How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings
    3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow:
    3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow

9) Run Memtest86+ version 5.01 for 8 or more passes.
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    This may take hours so plan to run it overnight.
    Please make sure you use the Memtest86+ version 5.01 with the link below.
    The testing is done not by time but by passes.
    The more passes the better.
    There are a significant number of false negatives if fewer than 8 passes are made.
    A false negative is a pass when there is malfunctioning RAM.
    Memtest86+ version 5.01 testing takes approximately 1 - 2 hours /GB RAM
    Just 1 error is a fail and you can abort testing.
    Then test 1 RAM module at a time in the same DIMM each for 8 or more passes.
    Again the more passes the better.
    If both RAM pass when tested 1 at a time after failing when tested together test the next DIMM with 1 RAM module for 8 or more passes. This will help to differentiate malfunctioning RAM from malfunctioning DIMM /Motherboard.
    Microsoft Community
    Memory problems. - Microsoft Community

10) When Memtest86+ has completed 8 or more passes use a camera or smart phone camera to take a picture and post an image of the results into the thread.

MemTest86+ - Test RAM Windows 10 BSOD Tutorials
    MemTest86+ - Test RAM BSOD Tutorials

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results.

zbook, Oct 19, 2017
  5. Reset the RAM modules by reconnecting the RAM modules.
    Blow off any loose dust or debris from the RAM using canned air. Hold the module by its edges.
    Clean the contacts using a soft cloth that does not leave fibers behind, such as a lens cleaning cloth slightly moistened with rubbing alcohol.

Use SpeedFan to monitor temperatures in computer overheating can cause computer to restart.

FreeBooter, Oct 19, 2017
  6. amos Win User
    Wouldn't I see a memory problem if it was memory related?
    regarding SpeedFan, the 3 times I wasn't near the computer. I will install and see but if the problem happens when I'm at night, I guess I won't be there to see it's going to happen. I installed speedfan but not sure in what section do I need to look for problems?

I remind you that I don't see BSOD even though I disabled automatic restart on system failure

7. zbook New Member
    yes it is our log collector and will collect troubleshooting logs whether there is or is not bsod.

zbook, Oct 19, 2017
  8. amos Win User

Sorry, not sure I understood, I added the log of your collector. Thanks.

9. zbook New Member
    zbook, Oct 19, 2017
  10. amos Win User
  11. zbook New Member
    The voltages are different using cpu-z. Please compare using HWINFO.

zbook, Oct 19, 2017
  12. amos Win User
    They are different 1.35 vs 1.5 (one is newer) but I understand this is not a problem because the 1.35 can work with 1.5 though I don't know where can I set the same voltage for both sticks.

HWINFO is just a comparison app or I can also set things there?

13. zbook New Member

Were you previously overclocking either CPU or RAM or both?
    The voltages can be reset in the bios so that they both have the same voltage.

Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section so that it displays the model for the computer.

zbook, Oct 19, 2017
  14. amos Win User
    I never overclocked anything, I think they are different because one is older than the other by a couple of years.
    here is the image of my bios (relevant pages I hope) Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing Video Hosting
    As you can see it's 1.5 Auto, should I put there something else? I hope not to break my memory completely...

And again a reminder: I never got BSOD, just a brute restart, maybe something else is causing it? In the past, whenever the memory was the problem, I got BSOD.

Also, I'm running now speedfan though I don't know what to look for there

15. zbook New Member
    zbook, Oct 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Sudden restarts after upgrading memory - Similar Threads - Sudden restarts upgrading

2. Disk missing after suddenly restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk missing after suddenly restart: My Windows suddenly restarted and it shows update, after the update is done, my second internal SSD is gone disk D:, even it didn't showrd up in disk management, does anyone have solutions?...
  3. Disk missing after suddenly restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk missing after suddenly restart: My Windows suddenly restarted and it shows update, after the update is done, my second internal SSD is gone disk D:, even it didn't showrd up in disk management, does anyone have solutions?...
  4. Sudden restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden restart: Hi there,I'm new here and I have been facing an issue with my PC where it restarts suddenly while playing games. I'm really desperate to find a solution for this issue.My PC is a newly built PC. The specs are:- AMD Ryzen 5600x- Gigabyte vision b550 d-p- Corsair 16gb ram 2 8gb...
  5. Sudden restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden restart: Hi there,I'm new here and I have been facing an issue with my PC where it restarts suddenly while playing games. I'm really desperate to find a solution for this issue.My PC is a newly built PC. The specs are:- AMD Ryzen 5600x- Gigabyte vision b550 d-p- Corsair 16gb ram 2 8gb...
  6. BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL after memory upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL after memory upgrade: Hi,I have a Lenovo laptop S145-15IWL 81MV00CEIV.The laptop had 8GB RAM 4GB + 4GB soldered to the boardI've replaced the RAM memory with a new one of 16GB totally 20GB.Since then I'm experiencing BSOD with the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALI've checked all drivers updates and...
  7. Crashing after memory upgrade?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashing after memory upgrade?: I recently upgraded my old laptop memory from 4 GB to 8 GB, replacing two dual 2 GBs with two dual 4 GBs. The computer runs a lot better now, but it's been giving me a BSOD every so often. I installed WinDbg Preview and loaded the most recent dmp file. It seems to suggest...
  8. KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE after memory upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE after memory upgrade: Dell Inspiron N5010 Laptop with 4GB (2x2GB) RAM has been working for months, no problems, after upgrade from Win7 to Win10. Bought PNY memory (2x4GB) to improve performance and every time it boots I get BOSD with KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and then just continues to...
  9. No restart after upgrading

in Windows 10 Support
    No restart after upgrading: Hi, I'm having some hard times with my pc after installing windows 10...I used to have windows 8.1 and everything was fine. Since I downloaded 10: -it's no more possible fro me to restart my pc: it stops during the process. -programs behave weirdly: adobe is going mad, it's...
  10. Hibernate not working after memory upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate not working after memory upgrade: After adding more memory/ram hibernating the pc results in a 'boot failure detected' and the memory speed being changed down to 1331Mhz from 1866Mhz. I had run memtest86+ after fitting another 2x4Gb memory chips. These being identical to the existing two chips. I have...