Windows 10: Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back

Discus and support Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Click on the 'Verify' link, it'll ask you for the email you used to originally set up the MS Account in question, enter it, press Next, then it will... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by lrw, Mar 21, 2017.

1. LRW
    lrw Win User

Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back

Ok, I tried that, received my code and entered it. Then when I tried to switch to a local account, I got the same 0x80004005 error. ;(

2. simrick Win User

Please try this "Best Answer" and see if that doesn't kick your MS account into shape.
    Windows 10 microsoft account issue! - [Solved] - Windows 10

If not, we will try creating a user with command prompt.

simrick, Mar 22, 2017
  3. simrick Win User
    simrick, Mar 22, 2017
  4. LRW
    lrw Win User

Ok, I tried that, received my code and entered it. Then when I tried to switch to a local account, I got the same 0x80004005 error. ;(

5. LRW
    lrw Win User
    I could not Add a pin. Clicking on the button did nothing. Also tried to change password but that failed with 'Something went wrong'. I will look at the next option - creating user with command prompt.

6. LRW
    lrw Win User
  7. LRW
    lrw Win User
    the last operation to create new user with command prompt seems to have worked. I could not switch to it but with a reboot, I had the choice of two accounts, the new local one and the MS account. Problem with the new local one, though, is that it has none of my previous customizations. I tried to use command prompt to create my 'old' local user again but it said it already existed, yet it does not show up as a login option. Any ideas how to get back to my old local user?

8. LRW
    lrw Win User

I tried renaming the account through control panel but that did not help. Still like a brand new account, so I renamed it back to the 'new' name that I created through the command prompt.

9. simrick Win User
    I am thinking there is some sort of corruption in the existing account that we just can't seem to overcome.
    My suggestion would be to make sure the new local account has admin rights, copy all your user data over from the corrupt account to the new account, and then delete the old account. You will, of course, need to re-do all your customizations.

simrick, Mar 22, 2017
  10. LRW
    lrw Win User
    Funny thing is, though, the old local account does not show up in settings for accounts. It only flinched when I tried to add the old account with command prompt.

Any chance that I could rename the C:/Users/NewAcctName to C:/Users/JunkName and the old name to my C:/Users/NewAcctName, to save copying everything and still get all my customizations back?

Or if that is just a stupid idea, what's the best way to copy the data over? Is there a cmd prompt way to do it or best choice on how to do it tutorial?

11. simrick Win User
    It does not show up in settings for accounts, when you are in the corrupt account?
    Unfortunately, no, I am pretty sure it can't be done. The old local account took on the new MS account - once an account has been made on the machine, it can't be made again later.
    Well, one way is to delete the corrupt account, telling windows to save the data. This would put a folder on the desktop of the new local account of the old account's data. Then you could move it all to the proper locations. BUT, seeing as how this account is corrupt, I wouldn't trust it to work properly....so I would open two File Explorer windows side-by-side and copy/paste from old to new account.
    How much data are we talking about?

simrick, Mar 22, 2017
  12. LRW
    lrw Win User
    So how do I delete the old account and save the data? Windows does not show it in the settings or control panel.

It is quite a bit of data ... 475GB and about 254,000 files and assuming that I need at least that amount of space to copy to, I'm out of luck. I only have 380GB free.

13. LRW
    lrw Win User

Let's assume it is possible to copy all the data that I need to the new local account ... How do I get any of the following stuff copied to the new account:

1. Scheduled Tasks
    2. Email accounts
    3. Dropbox settings
    4. Browser favourites, etc.
    5. Does software need to be reinstalled? Ie Office products, other such as Filmora.

of course all my recent files will be pointing at the wrong /User/OldLocal ...

Any suggestions on smoothing the transition?

Thanks.

14. simrick Win User
    When you go into Control Panel>User Accounts> (from the new local account you created), you have the option to "manage other accounts". You can then select to delete the corrupt account, and when you click on delete you *should* get an option to "save user data". Normally, this would take all user files and save them to a folder on the desktop of the user account you are currently logged in to. I've done it many times, and it works fine. But, the fact that the account you'd be deleting is corrupted, makes me cautious. Who knows what else is wrong with it? Enough that saving the data to a folder doesn't work properly? Then some or all of your data could be lost.

Your answer here is to use an external hard drive. You should have one anyway for backup.

Yes, you most certainly should have a backup method in place, especially if you have that much data to protect!

Compare the current scheduled tasks in the corrupted account. Make a note of any that are not present in the new account and create them again.
    Email needs to be re-setup in the new account (same way you did it in the corrupted account).
    Dropbox will need to be setup again (same way you did it in the corrupted account).
    Favorites/bookmarks can be exported from the corrupted account browser(s) and imported into the new account browser(s). The method depends on which browsers you are using. This is easily found by googling. We can walk you through that if you need help.
    All software installed on the system is available to all users on the system *unless* you installed a particular program to be available *only* to the corrupted user account. (I'm not even sure you would get this option if you installed with only one account existing at the time.)
    In the new account, you will have no MRUs (Most Recently Used). As you open documents, they will populate an MRU list.
    Number One Suggestion: get yourself an external hard drive. With that amount of data, it's crazy not to have a backup system in place. *Wink

simrick, Mar 22, 2017
  15. simrick Win User
    Based on your post here, I would not take the chance of deleting the corrupt user account and letting Windows save your data to a folder. It's too risky. Buy an external hard drive. Get at least a 2TB size drive for this transfer of user accounts, and when you're all done, we'll show you how to setup a proper backup scheme using Macrium Reflect Free. *Smile

simrick, Mar 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back - Similar Threads - Sudden switch Local

2. How to switch back to local account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to switch back to local account?: I built a gaming PC a couple of months ago, performed all the updates necessary, and bought an official digital license from Newegg. Up until recently, I was using the local account I had set-up when I activated my Windows key. I then had customer support guide me through the...
  3. How to switch back to local account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch back to local account?: I built a gaming PC a couple of months ago, performed all the updates necessary, and bought an official digital license from Newegg. Up until recently, I was using the local account I had set-up when I activated my Windows key. I then had customer support guide me through the...
  4. How to switch back to local account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trying to switch from MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trying to switch from MS account to local account: On my Win10 (20H2) laptop, I went to Settings, Account, Your Info. My info shows my Gmail email account name and below that it says, "Switch to a local account" (this is what I want to do) So far so good. When I click to switch to local account, my Gmail account login shows...
  6. Switching From MS Account To Local Account

Switching From MS Account To Local Account: In Settings, I'm trying to switch from a MS Account to a Local Account. I'm asked for my name. When I give it I'm told that name is already in use. Of course it is; that's the account I want to use. Can I get past this somehow, and if I do. does that delete my MS Account?...
  7. Can't switch from local to MS account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't switch from local to MS account: I am trying to switch from my local account back to my Microsoft account. Yes, back to it; it worked fine before I used the local account to troubleshoot some setting issues. I filled in my password and it said it's wrong. I verified by logging in to my MS account online...
  8. Switch from MS to local account Win10 pro

Switch from MS to local account Win10 pro: I have win 10 pro instllation set to login with Microsoft Account use for Office 365. I want to switch it to local account, and link with Microsoft Account, but I cannot find a way to do that....
  9. local account unable to switch to MS account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  10. local account unable to switch to MS account

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...