Windows 10: Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back

Discus and support Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Thanks for taking the time to reply again simrick. I do have an external drive and a nightly scheduled task to copy all incremental changed files to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by lrw, Mar 21, 2017.

1. LRW
    lrw Win User

Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back

Thanks for taking the time to reply again simrick. I do have an external drive and a nightly scheduled task to copy all incremental changed files to the external drive. So, I don't think I will lose anything too important. Just the time consuming stuff that you described is a real time eater and many conveniences that I have set up over the years need to be redone. I'll need to do all that in the next day or two.

2. mrgeek Win User

I do have an external drive and a nightly scheduled task to copy all incremental changed files to the external drive.

Good that you do that. I was hit with ransomware a couple yrs back and had to reinstall OS image. Transferring 400gb of data does take a while and re-setting system pref's, etc does give you an opportunity to fix or change some that may not be right for today. simrick gave you excellent advice, I've changed over many an account that was mis-named or corrupted. Enjoy your repaired system and let's hope the Creator's Update next month doesn't mess anything up for either of us.

mrgeek, Mar 22, 2017
  3. simrick Win User
    In that case, and you are *sure* that your backups are not corrupt, you could try deleting the corrupt user account, then restore your backup to the new account (if necessary). That way, you don't run out of space. Just be sure of the integrity of your backup (both main and incrementals)...Yes, it is a time consuming job. I do it in chunks - a little one day, a little the next - so it's not overwhelming.

simrick, Mar 22, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Oh! Sorry to hear that. Glad you had an image to restore. *Smile

simrick, Mar 22, 2017
  5. LRW
    lrw Win User
    Any way to copy the taskbar, I know it's probably easier to just repin the apps there but looking for shortcuts as always *Wink

Cheers

6. simrick Win User
    I would re-pin. The more you "carry-over" from a corrupt account, the higher the chance you have of carrying-over the corruption.

simrick, Mar 23, 2017
  7. LRW
    lrw Win User
    Been busy moving files and such ... I think I have saved all the stuff I need to keep and adjusted some scripts to point at the new /Users/mynewaccount. But as far as deleting the old local account goes, I don't see it in control panel nor the new Windows 10 account settings. How do I delete it? I am thinking of just deleting or renaming /Users/oldlocalaccount by some armstrong method but it might break the MS account which I am really not sure if I want to keep anyway since that is what kind of popped out of no-where after a couple of years of using the local account (that is now kaput).

Any suggestions on how to do any final cleanup, check points or stuff like that?

8. simrick Win User

When logged into the new account, Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage another account you are not able to delete the corrupt account from there? If not, then perhaps we need to go back to the tutorial for creating an account using Command Prompt, and delete the user account that way....

simrick, Mar 23, 2017
  9. LRW
    lrw Win User
    so, I was a bit nervous about deleting the old local account so I chose to disable it via cmd prompt.

My login screen still shows my MS account and when I tried to log in to it, it gave me an incorrect password error, even though it was a valid PW. It looks like the MS account somehow hijacked the old local account. Net users does not show any additional users for the MS account, so it must somehow be tied to that old local account.

If I delete the old local account instead of disabling it, will that make the MS account choice go away from the login screen?

10. simrick Win User
    Have you gone onto MS website and logged in with your MS account? So you know the password is working and being accepted by MS?

Other people who have had corrupted accounts in the past have made a new account, copied their data over, and then deleted the corrupt account. I have not had anyone come back and say that they had any problems after deleting the corrupted account....however, as we all know, there's always a first time, when Murphy's Law kicks in...*Wink

simrick, Mar 23, 2017
  11. LRW
    lrw Win User
    Murphy seems to live at my house ... I just checked my MS account on outlook and it works fine, just gives me a password error when I try to login to Windows. Why wouldn't MS just say it is disabled or something useful and instead try to confuse people.

I will delete the &$*^$ MS account via command prompt and see what else I can break.

12. simrick Win User
    Wait - I wanted you to go online, using a browser, and login to your MS account that way - have you done that?

simrick, Mar 23, 2017
  13. simrick Win User

simrick, Mar 23, 2017
  14. simrick Win User
    lrw, I'm sorry but I will be unavailable for several hours now. Were you able to login to your MS account in a browser?

simrick, Mar 23, 2017
  15. LRW
    lrw Win User
    Yes, of course. MS live website is outlook.live.com. Sorry for the confusion. Anyhow, I used command prompt to delete the old account and now only have my new local account as a choice for Windows login which is good.

Trying to rename the old /Users/oldLocalAccount but it seems to still be in use. Even after a reboot.

Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back - Similar Threads - Sudden switch Local

2. How to switch back to local account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to switch back to local account?: I built a gaming PC a couple of months ago, performed all the updates necessary, and bought an official digital license from Newegg. Up until recently, I was using the local account I had set-up when I activated my Windows key. I then had customer support guide me through the...
  3. How to switch back to local account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch back to local account?: I built a gaming PC a couple of months ago, performed all the updates necessary, and bought an official digital license from Newegg. Up until recently, I was using the local account I had set-up when I activated my Windows key. I then had customer support guide me through the...
  4. How to switch back to local account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trying to switch from MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trying to switch from MS account to local account: On my Win10 (20H2) laptop, I went to Settings, Account, Your Info. My info shows my Gmail email account name and below that it says, "Switch to a local account" (this is what I want to do) So far so good. When I click to switch to local account, my Gmail account login shows...
  6. Switching From MS Account To Local Account

Switching From MS Account To Local Account: In Settings, I'm trying to switch from a MS Account to a Local Account. I'm asked for my name. When I give it I'm told that name is already in use. Of course it is; that's the account I want to use. Can I get past this somehow, and if I do. does that delete my MS Account?...
  7. Can't switch from local to MS account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't switch from local to MS account: I am trying to switch from my local account back to my Microsoft account. Yes, back to it; it worked fine before I used the local account to troubleshoot some setting issues. I filled in my password and it said it's wrong. I verified by logging in to my MS account online...
  8. Switch from MS to local account Win10 pro

Switch from MS to local account Win10 pro: I have win 10 pro instllation set to login with Microsoft Account use for Office 365. I want to switch it to local account, and link with Microsoft Account, but I cannot find a way to do that....
  9. local account unable to switch to MS account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  10. local account unable to switch to MS account

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...