Windows 10: Suddenly, daily system restores without installing any programs.

Discus and support Suddenly, daily system restores without installing any programs. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Four days in a row now I have had a system restore point created , these are not the automatic type. There is no malware on the system, checked with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bumboola, Aug 6, 2018.

1. bumboola Win User

Suddenly, daily system restores without installing any programs.

Four days in a row now I have had a system restore point created , these are not the automatic type. There is no malware on the system, checked with Defender full scan, offline scan and Malwarebytes. All events give the exact same description and absolutely no programs have been installed. I've ran the troubleshooter for Windows Update and it fixed a few things but it just keeps creating restore points. In the past, if the system was idling (which is usually never) it would create an automatic restore point a week after the previous one if auto maintenance was left to run fully. With all the recent CUs I think it has been months since a restore point was created without an update. Can anybody help me with this?

Edit: I just realized that this should have been posted in the "Backup and Restore" subforum. If somebody could move it there I would appreciate it, don't want to double post

:)

bumboola, Aug 6, 2018

2. Some programs crash right after startup. started occuring after a system restore

Earlier this week I did a shutdown for some windows updates to install. After it rebooted it seemed to take forever saying windows update preparing to install. Some googling suggested to reboot and it will finish the installation, or you can sign in and re-perform the update. This didnt happen. I had to do a system restore to a direct X install from a couple days back. Windows then booted properly, but there was some problems. It complained about unable to load assembly sortkey.nlp. Turned out it was ATI catalyst software causing the problem. So I reinstalled that to 12.10. Now when I try and run some programs such as CdBurner XP Pro or Free Youtube to Mp3 converter, they crash instantly with the error: <program> has stopped working.

I tried removing .net and installing .net 4.5. But still no luck.

Id like to avoid reinstalling windows, any suggestions?

Hybrid_theory, Aug 6, 2018
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Aug 6, 2018
  4. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Suddenly, daily system restores without installing any programs. - Similar Threads - Suddenly daily system

2. How to System Restore without password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to System Restore without password: Have Windows 10 machine that crashed and its not booting. Automatic repair does not fix issue. Trying to pursue a System Restore but it asks me for a password which I cant remember. I have other machines with same MS account and I have reset the password and try utilizing it...
  3. How to System Restore without password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to System Restore without password: Have Windows 10 machine that crashed and its not booting. Automatic repair does not fix issue. Trying to pursue a System Restore but it asks me for a password which I cant remember. I have other machines with same MS account and I have reset the password and try utilizing it...
  4. How to restore the system without reinstalling?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore the system without reinstalling?: Hello. How to restore the system without reinstalling Windows 10? What files need to be moved to the hard drive with damaged windows?I don't want to run windows recovery to save the old settings and installed applications.Problem: I rebooted the laptop, the installation of...
  5. Would it be possible to retrieve a list of installed programs from a system restore without...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Would it be possible to retrieve a list of installed programs from a system restore without...: I need to gather a list of what was installed at the time of a system restore points creation as it holds programs I do not have anymore but I do not want to use the restore point as it will overwrite a lot of what I have reinstalled. Is it possible to retrieve the list (Like...
  6. Any alternative of system restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any alternative of system restore?: I have an Asus fx505dy laptop. I ran some scripts months ago with admin privileges. It had a lot of side-effects like slow boot-up, removed many apps I need. Is there any way I can restore my laptop's state to the state when I got it? I didn't create a restore point. Can I...
  7. Uninstall a program without any program files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Uninstall a program without any program files: I accidentally and unintentionally installed an adware called MusiCalm. I directly deleted the program files located in users/Edward/appdata/roaming, without going into the windows program list and uninstalling it there. Now, I can't remove it from my programs list, and every...
  8. Daily system restore points not being created

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Daily system restore points not being created: I recently had a system crash and tried to use System Restore to get me out of trouble. When I opened my safety net via the Advanced Startup options, I was told that NO POINTS had been set. I always understood that SR creates points automatically on a daily basis. SR was...
  9. Sudden update without any notice.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sudden update without any notice.: Dear microsoft, I am using build 1803 of windows 10, and i was connected on my mobile hotspot for work reasons. Everything was normal, but for some reason, the windows updated things that were unknown, although my Wifi Settings were set to metered connection. It used...
  10. Suddenly, daily system restores without installing any programs.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Suddenly, daily system restores without installing any programs.: Four days in a row now I have had a system restore point created , these are not the automatic type. There is no malware on the system, checked with Defender full scan, offline scan and Malwarebytes. All events give the exact same description and absolutely no programs have...