Windows 10: Suddenly reappear a deleted folder

Discus and support Suddenly reappear a deleted folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Before one month, I just create a temporary folder to my desktop. I wanted to organise some files from a USB stick and after to moved it to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iJohnnyCash, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Suddenly reappear a deleted folder

Before one month, I just create a temporary folder to my desktop. I wanted to organise some files from a USB stick and after to moved it to my well-organized documents folder. When I finished this, I delete the desktop folder.

After this moment, mainly after a reboot the OS, the folder reappear in the same position and spot. Every time is empty, and every time I deleted it.

All these days, I'm pretty sure that OS was updated but this annoying bug, insist on appearing.

Any idea?

:)

iJohnnyCash, Aug 22, 2017
  2. Jessen P Win User

Deleted folder reappear

Hi Alan,

Glad to know that the issue is resolved. We appreciate you for sharing the feedback. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future. We'll be more than happy to assist you again.

Jessen P, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Deleted folder reappear

I ran the Microsoft Safety Scanner. It said it didn't find anything but I was able to delete

the reappearing folders. It's been fifteen minutes and they're still gone. Thank you Jessen P !!

alanblumenson, Aug 22, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Suddenly reappear a deleted folder

This may be due to an error in the ntfs file system entry for that folder. Check the drive for errors.

5. Thank you for your hint!
    Do you suggest any other software for disks checks, expect the Windows options? I tried the windows options but it doesn't found any error.

iJohnnyCash, Aug 22, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Windows should be sufficient. Try scheduling a check to run at the next restart, in an Admin Command prompt, type:

chkdsk C: /f

That assumes your user folders are on C: - if they are on a different drive letter you should check that instead of C:

If no errors are found, something else must be recreating that folder. If you right-click on it and select Properties, what date does it say it was created?

7. Today, it showed up again. This time I will not deleted, so I have the opportunity to have more info for my issue.

The folder name is Public. I created in my desktop and that was the name I chosen. I have tried to change the read-only permission but If I open again the properties windows nothing change.

btw I use also the Fences software - enough years. But never again a similar issue.

Suddenly reappear a deleted folder [​IMG]

iJohnnyCash, Aug 25, 2017
  8. werby Win User

Hi,

Just an idea...
    You probably used application(s) to save files in that folder.
    You may try to open those apps and see where they go to save the files created by them.
    If saving location is "Public" folder, you have to save a file to another folder so, next time it'll go there.

Most times this problem is caused by an app which looks for (or recreates) the last saved location.

werby, Aug 25, 2017
  9. Gordon7 Win User

When You use the "SHIFT + Delete" keyboard comb. You delete everything without using the wastebin!

Gordon7, Aug 25, 2017
  10. I have forgot to said that I tried days know this command for both my disks but as I said today the folder appeared again today.

No, I just used Windows Explorer to copy-paste some files to this folder. I don't remember if this folder I created in a another PC and through the usb-stick I transferred in my desktop or if I created this folder with right-click and create new folder, and after that I transfer there some files. After that, I transfer these files to the final destination but in the same PC.

I don't think that it will be work. Firstly, I have tried to delete this folder and after that I empty the wastbin. Secondly, I used also the Bitdefender, which has a feature for more deep erase a file.

11. I notices two other strange things.
    • The folder is not complete empty. It has also a folder inside. In this folder is exist also a empty folder.
    • I tried to move the 'Public' folder to wastebin and the I asked from Bitdefender to erase the waste bit. Bitdefender read this name wrong. See attachment.
    • When I confirm to delete it, it said that access denied - See second attachment.

PS: The folder name between the two screenshots is different because I restore the folder, change the name and move it back to wastebin.

12. spunk Win User
    Public is the name of a Windows User file, so Windows thinks you are trying to delete a Windows User file, so it won't let you. Try restarting in Safe Mode. Browse to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\Desktop Right click the file and Cut the Public folder from the Desktop folder and browse to C:\Users and Right click and Paste the Public folder there. Windows will say there is a Public folder there already, do you want to overwrite? Click Yes.
    If that doesn't work In Safe Mode, in the Desktop folder, try Right clicking the file and Renaming it. Then Delete it.

spunk, Aug 25, 2017
  13. Gordon7 Win User

As long as the folder has the "Read-only" bit set, You will not be allowed to rename it!

Gordon7, Aug 25, 2017
  14. werby Win User
    werby, Aug 25, 2017
  15. Hey guys, I come back because my issue insists. I can't reproduce anymore by myself, but random times I see the folder there.

I already tried safe mode and also I tried to find any bad sector. No luck!
    @werby, what exactly you suggest?

PS: Btw, the "Public" name of the folder was my choice. I just give this name as the filename. I don't think that Windows as OS is so stupid that can't recognize that isn't the Public folder.

iJohnnyCash, Sep 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Suddenly reappear a deleted folder - Similar Threads - Suddenly reappear deleted

2. Reappearing of deleted files in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reappearing of deleted files in Downloads folder: Reappearing of deleted files in Downloads folder:Since Last 5 days its happening on my Laptop i have checked the onedrive no account is signed in, synced or connected.Also i have checked my windows backup settings from start menu no folder is added or anything like that.I...
  3. Reappearing of deleted files in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reappearing of deleted files in Downloads folder: Reappearing of deleted files in Downloads folder:Since Last 5 days its happening on my Laptop i have checked the onedrive no account is signed in, synced or connected.Also i have checked my windows backup settings from start menu no folder is added or anything like that.I...
  4. Reappearing of deleted files in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Deleted folder reappears automatically.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted folder reappears automatically.: Hi, One particular folder which is on my external hard disk reappears itself after I delete it. I even emptied the recycle bin, but the folder appears again. This happens to only that particular folder. I have deleted other files and folders but none of them reappear.Thank...
  6. Folder Keeps Reappearing after Deletion!

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Keeps Reappearing after Deletion!: I've installed MS Flight Simulator 2020 on a separate SSD (Z:) which I managed to configure correctly on the second attempt. For some reason there is an empty Program Files folder containing an empty ModifiableWindowsApps folder. I deleted the Program Files folder by taking...
  7. Deleted folder reappears after months

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted folder reappears after months: I deleted this folder months ago, today i found it again in my download folder, its contents didnt come back only the folder. Same thing happened almost a year ago, different folder but same thing, weeks after it was deleted it come back without its content. I ran EEK,...
  8. Deleted folder reappears on restart

Deleted folder reappears on restart: I have shift-deleted my Users folder on Drive D:. However, it reappears when I restart Windows 10. I am using the Users folder on my C: drive. I know it's gone. When I restart the folder isn't there but it does show up a minute or so later with the current date and time....
  9. Can't delete folder; it keeps reappearing!

Can't delete folder; it keeps reappearing!: I deleted a folder in File Manager which then reappeared. Then I tried again; it reappeared. Then, based on advice online, I selected Shift-Delete to permanently delete it. It looked like it was gone for awhile, then reappeared a week or so later! There is nothing in this...
  10. Can't delete folder; it keeps reappearing!

Can't delete folder; it keeps reappearing!: I deleted a folder in File Manager which then reappeared. Then I tried again; it reappeared. Then, based on advice online, I selected Shift-Delete to permanently delete it. It looked like it was gone for awhile, then reappeared a week or so later! There is nothing in this...