Windows 10: Suddenly receiving lots of strange SPAM

Discus and support Suddenly receiving lots of strange SPAM in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi guys, I'm hoping someone could help me as I'm tearing my hair out. Basically over the last few weeks I've started receiving spam email in... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mswin10, Oct 25, 2016.

1. mswin10 Win User

Suddenly receiving lots of strange SPAM

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone could help me as I'm tearing my hair out.

Basically over the last few weeks I've started receiving spam email in my outlook/hotmail email. I access outlook via google chrome browser. I've hardly ever got spam and any that I did, I'd set a rule for outlook to put it into junk folder, which worked great.

But over the last few weeks even after putting rules and sending it to junk folder, it just keeps getting worse. Now I'm getting around 15-20 spam emails per day.

But my concern is that many of the emails coming through are under titles of things that I may have searched for in the past. Most seriously are already marked as FLAGGED as though I've manually selected and flagged them as an important email.

How can this be possible?

I am running windows 10. I've already done a virus/malware check, but can't find anything and have cleared the cookies.

What can I do to combat this?

Thank you.

:)

mswin10, Oct 25, 2016

2. I am getting a lot of spam lately on my msn account what is the best way to change my email address so I can stop the spam but still received my emails from msn?

< Original Post: spam>

I am getting a lot of spam lately on my msn account what is the best way to change my email address so I can stop the spam but still received my emails from msn?

Any help would be appreciated one of my grandchildrens use my msn account to answer something and now I am getting a lot of spam

Thank you for any help

RobertGuon, Oct 25, 2016
  3. Spam SMS

i get a lot of spam SMS, while you can manually block each number it still is a cumbersome/rather un-effective solution and these spam come from a lot lot lot more numbers than you can manage / always from "new" numbers.

be great that SMS from "numbers not in your contact list" automatically go to this "spam sms inbox" for you to check out later. if there's a number that you want to receive SMS from in the future, you can just "unSPAM" it so next time the number goes straight
    to your regular inbox. otherwise you can clear spam to delete all these sms at once. in a way, it works like the email's SPAM and your regular inbox is kept "clean".

SoniManUtd, Oct 25, 2016
  4. Suddenly receiving lots of strange SPAM

Go to your ISP and ask them to temporarily suspend your email service for 5 days.This will have the effect of telling spam senders your address is no longer active and in most cases the spammers will remove your address.You might need to let family and friends know beforehand.

joeandmarg0, Oct 26, 2016
  5. mswin10 Win User
    I'm sorry, but my email service is with a standard microsoft outlook/hotmail account. I've had the same email for almost 2 decades.

mswin10, Oct 26, 2016
  6. I have noticed more spam emails to my Outlook account recently as well. I have started to use my Google email more and more as it the one account that works the best so far.

EricFarmer7x, Oct 26, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    In my experience, spammers don't care. They don't even bother to eliminate duplicates from their lists. It costs them nothing, so they aren't going to spend any effort pruning their list.

Mystere, Oct 26, 2016
  8. Suddenly receiving lots of strange SPAM

To Mystere.
    When your account is stopped, the emails are returned to sender,regardless who provides the service.The spammers do not want their in box filled with junk either.
    My method works because I've done it,which is why I offered it.
    All providers can do this if they think your webmail is being misused,especially by a particular organisation.
    Persistence and patience are a must.

9. Mystere Win User
    Do you understand how spammers work? Do you really think they use their own return addresses? They don't. They take over other peoples email accounts and spam from them. They take over servers and setup their own email servers. They do all kinds of things, but the one thing they never ever ever do, is use their own return addresses.... lol.

I get a ton of "return address" spam, which is where a spammer has used my email address in their return address, so when stuff bounces, it bounces back to the hapless victim they used as their patsy.

Mystere, Oct 26, 2016
  10. Thank you Mystere.I do not get spam,you still do.That makes your system better.

11. mswin10 Win User
    I hope my thread isn't causing any dispute here....pls don't argue guys. I'm sure each one is right in their own way.

The fact is that I want to move to gmail, but I've had this email for almost 2 decades, so I would need to somehow migrate across to gmail as easily and smoothly as possible. Any suggestions how I can do this?

mswin10, Oct 26, 2016
  12. Barman58 Win User
    Ok, using the built in facilities of Gmail

Create a gmail account, Inform your major contacts of the new address as much as possible, ( those who send to you often)

Set up your new gmail account to collect your old mail and mark it with a tag so you have all the old server's mail in one place
    Set up your collection rules to reply from your new gmail so letting anyone you reply to you new address

Regularly check the old mail and either manually (or by use of a rule automatically), move mails you want to keep to the gMail inbox, consider un-subscribing from the old address and subscribing with the new Gmail address for any regular information mails yo want to continue to recieve

Mark any spam from your old account as spam in Gmail, Gmail will automatically move to spam folder ( it will already have many of the known spammers in it's databases anyway so should automatically sort these for you )

When you are happy that all your mails that you wish to continue to receive are aware of your new address you can consider closing the old account, removing the collect instruction, or simply leave it as is, but minimise the folder (in your case this is advised as someone from 20 years ago could email you *Wink)

Most of these options are available in Settings in a live gmail account possibly this link will take you directly there but the settings are well organised so are not difficult to find things in - (Gmail)

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Suddenly receiving lots of strange SPAM

1. Suddenly receiving lots of strange SPAM - Similar Threads - Suddenly receiving lots

2. spam: Just received this:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    spam: Just received this:: Microsoft Account Thank you for using our services. This email is regarding your purchase of Microsoft defender. Please check below for more details of invoice Customer Id : 483462Invoice Id : MS-475456-72802Email : Invoice Date : 24 January 2022 Product Microsoft firewall...
  3. spam: Just received this:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    spam: Just received this:: Microsoft Account Thank you for using our services. This email is regarding your purchase of Microsoft defender. Please check below for more details of invoice Customer Id : 483462Invoice Id : MS-475456-72802Email : Invoice Date : 24 January 2022 Product Microsoft firewall...
  4. Suddenly received a lot of updates on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suddenly received a lot of updates on Windows 10: Today I got a notification telling to install updates, and clicking on it led me to the windows update page in settings. I install updates all the time but have never seen so many updates being pushed at once. I figure this is something related to the Windows 11 rollout but...
  5. Suddenly received a lot of updates on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suddenly received a lot of updates on Windows 10: Today I got a notification telling to install updates, and clicking on it led me to the windows update page in settings. I install updates all the time but have never seen so many updates being pushed at once. I figure this is something related to the Windows 11 rollout but...
  6. Suddenly received a lot of updates on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Receiver got a lot of "??" when receive mail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Receiver got a lot of "??" when receive mail: Recently, I got complain from Foreigner user using difference domain as when they receive mail from my domain that they will see a lot of "????" in email by example below, This issue happen only when send email from Outlook application, No problem if send from web browser....
  8. i´m having lots of spam

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    i´m having lots of spam: what can i do with the spam mail https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-having-lots-of-spam/bfd52ba0-30ff-45af-8396-8799df60c9bf"
  9. Strange spam email address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange spam email address: I keep getting emails on my business computer from a strange address (like it is a merge of two separate ones). How it is even possible? Jim Scott <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***@wentai-cn.com> I keep spamming all of us almost every day with email that...
  10. Lots Of Daily Spam Emails

in Browsers and Email
    Lots Of Daily Spam Emails: Hello there, I have my primary email address that tends to get, on average, maybe 30 Junk emails daily that end up in the Junk folder. Sometimes the Junk emails tend to get through to my Inbox. So I have learned that if you load the email message "completely", it's...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 receiving lots of spam