Windows 10: Suddenly some apps won't load anymore

Discus and support Suddenly some apps won't load anymore in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm not sure what changed-maybe an update. But the other day I noticed my calculator app would not open and now my photos app won't. I managed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gale, Jun 22, 2017.

1. gale Win User

Suddenly some apps won't load anymore

I'm not sure what changed-maybe an update. But the other day I noticed my calculator app would not open and now my photos app won't. I managed to uninstall the photos app but when i tried to reinstall it from the windows store, it won't work. I clicked on install and it just flashes and does nothing. I'm signed into the store. I can live without the calculator (but I'd rather have it) but I really don't want to open pictures in a separate program just for quick viewing. Please help. thanks.

my system (as much as I can figure out-my son built it for me).
    Windows 10 home edition
    Intel i5 processor
    MSI motherboard
    8 gb ram

:)

2. computer shut down

Yes, it causes significant hardware wear to suddenly lose power. In addition, any files the system had loaded from the hard drive into memory (everything currently open/running/displayed/loaded in the background) won't get to be put back onto the hard
    drive. If you did this when an important file had been loaded into memory, you could destroy your computer and it won't turn on anymore without re-loading your operating system.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jun 22, 2017
  3. internet won't load tophatter home page anymore

I used to shop at tophatter but for some reason the live auctions screen won't load anymore what could cause that?

leannamiddleton, Jun 22, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) winver (in the pop up about windows > view your windows version and build > type this information into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

5) net user test /add

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

6) shutdown /r

When the computer reboots sign on with the new user named test.

Please report in the thread the performance after running scannow, restorehealth, scan, and using the new user named test.

Please clarify if you are having any problems with the Microsoft store.

zbook, Jun 22, 2017
  5. philc43 Win User
    Hello gale *Smile

There are various ways you can approach this.

1. You could try the Windows Apps Troubleshooter

2. If you are on the newer W10 version you can Reset individual apps such as the Calculator App.

See how you get on with these two and report back.

philc43, Jun 22, 2017
  6. kimkl Win User
    Try this first go to settings --> apps find your photo app click it select advanced then select reset app are you sure yea darn it reset *Biggrin
    try that first

kimkl, Jun 22, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
  8. gale Win User

Wow-overwhelmed. Thanks for all the advice. I'll read through and try them one by one.

I should also mention that I can no longer open my windows defender security center. I don't know if that's related or not. I believe windows defender is running-it says so in the services window. But I can't make any changes or adjustments or anything.

9. gale Win User
    I tried resetting the calculator app and it doesn't work. I do have the old calculator installed now so I can use that but it bugs me that apps are just gone or not working. I don't see the photos app in the list at all.

The troubleshooter didn't find any problems.

10. dalchina New Member
    If your disk is ok, and your file system - you should check both routinely anyway e.g. Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and chkdsk c: /F from an admin command prompt - then

if you have any usable System restore points dating to before the problem occurred, then use a restore point.

That you also have problems with Defender might suggest its a wider problem you face- not just apps.

If you have none, that may because your PC recently upgraded to the latest build, or you never enabled System Restore.

A screenshot of your Update History could help too.

dalchina, Jun 22, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    It is. The Windows Defender Security Center is another 'modern windows app', just like the other apps you can't open.

In the mean time, the old-style Defender UI is still available in Creators Update. See this tutorial...

Create Windows Defender Antivirus Shortcut in Windows 10

12. gale Win User
    ok I'm doing the thing in the first reply.

windows version: v 1703 OS build 15063.413

when i do the scan now command it says this:
    You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility.

I am the only person who uses this computer so I'm not sure how to make that part work.

When I do the restore health thing it says this:

Error: 740Elevated permissions are required to run DISM.Use an elevated command prompt to complete these tasks.

chkdsk says this:

Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

I didn't bother going any further. How do I make these work?

13. gale Win User

Trying using the windows powershell/admin window instead...seems to be working so far.

14. gale Win User
    It worked. Here is the copy/paste. Off to do the next step.

Windows PowerShellCopyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.15063.0Image Version: 10.0.15063.0[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> chkdsk /scanThe type of the file system is NTFS.Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 369408 file records processed.File verification completed. 8855 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 465134 index entries processed.Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Security descriptor verification completed. 47864 data files processed.CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 39160376 USN bytes processed.Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 487806975 KB total disk space. 78688796 KB in 205866 files. 135256 KB in 47865 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 494683 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 408488240 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 121951743 total allocation units on disk. 102122060 allocation units available on disk.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> net user test /addThe command completed successfully.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

15. gale Win User
    Ok here's what happened. When I signed in as test, my apps were there. Windows defender security center opened. Calculator opened. Photos was not there but I was able to open the windows store and download it, and then it opened fine. When I signed back on as myself, windows store is not there and everything else that was missing is still missing. I tried downloading photos from the windows store online earlier and it didn't work. I didn't even know windows store was an app on my computer at all so I didn't try downloading that. But I suspect it won't work either.

eta: I'm hoping there's a fix that won't require me to switch to a new user. I did that once (for an unrelated issue) and it was a giant pain. I have a lot of tweaks I do on my system and also have an ehd and my system drive is my ssd and everything else is stored on a regular hdd and having to switch all that over is also a pain.

Thema:

1. Suddenly some apps won't load anymore - Similar Threads - Suddenly apps won't

2. Some applications take a while to load all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some applications take a while to load all of a sudden: About a week or 2 ago, some applications have started to load slowly. They are not running slowly, after loading then they're perfectly fine. It's just at the start it seems they are just stuck loading. For example, I open the application, then it says loading, now normally...
  3. Mail app won't start anymore

in Browsers and Email
    Mail app won't start anymore: Hi everyone. Since this morning, my Windows 10 Mail app won't start anymore. I am sure that until yesterday everything was fine and nothing changed in the meantime, so it's really strange. I click on it and nothing happens. What can I do? Thank you! 159471
  4. Mail app won't start anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail app won't start anymore: Hi everyone. Since this morning, my Windows 10 Mail app won't start anymore. I am sure that until yesterday everything was fine and nothing changed in the meantime, so it's really strange. I click on it and nothing happens. What can I do? Thank you! 159471
  5. Some apps won't start anymore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some apps won't start anymore: Ever since a couple of months ago apps like Cod 2, Cod 4 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 will not start and crash on boot. They work on other PC's fine but now they no longer work on mine. If I could get any answers then that would be great. Thanks...
  6. Restarted to install some updates - Windows 10 not loading anymore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restarted to install some updates - Windows 10 not loading anymore: Hi, I'm not really a computer expert. I just installed a Windows 10 update and my computer asked me to restart - business as usual. Now it's not loading anymore. Right after the thinkpad logo, windows starts loading, the screen blinks, I see the sentence "undoing changes...
  7. Photos App won't open anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos App won't open anymore: A few days ago, I was cleaning out my storage using the built-in storage cleaner on my Surface Pro 5 but ever since I did that, Photos has just stopped working. Whenever I tried to open a picture, I get an error message saying "The app didn't start". I've tried all the...
  8. Mail app won't load.

in Browsers and Email
    Mail app won't load.: As of today, the Mail app, when opened just stays on the splash screen and doesn't load. Any fix for this? I would try to uninstall/reinstall but as far as I know, Windows won't let you do that with this particular app. 13366
  9. some websites won't load on windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    some websites won't load on windows 10: hello everyone, yesterday i installed windows 10 and i'm new to it. surprisingly, when i tried to browse some websites (like ebay), they didn't load even though i had a normal internet connection. i googled, and found a solution that seemed to work, that solution was to use...
  10. some websites won't load on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    some websites won't load on windows 10: hello everyone, yesterday i installed windows 10 and i'm new to it. surprisingly, when i tried to browse some websites (like ebay), they didn't load even though i had a normal internet connection. i googled, and found a solution that seemed to work, that solution was to use...