Windows 10: Suddenly started receiving 'Built in Administrator' error message

Discus and support Suddenly started receiving 'Built in Administrator' error message in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a new laptop back in March running Windows 10, did a clean install from USB and it's worked fine until 31st July when I downloaded a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by matt83, Aug 1, 2016.

1. matt83 Win User

Suddenly started receiving 'Built in Administrator' error message

Hi,

I bought a new laptop back in March running Windows 10, did a clean install from USB and it's worked fine until 31st July when I downloaded a virus, I've now removed the virus and the laptop is clean but I've noticed today I can't open Microsoft Edge, I get the error 'Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the Built in Administrator account'.

My main question with this is why would I only be getting this message now? Surely this is virus related as the laptop has worked fine in every way since March, me and my gf have an admin account using our Microsoft email accounts.

Can anyone advise on what to do to put this right? I really can't be bothered doing a full install from clean and going through reinstalling everything from scratch, as well as backing up all downloads, music, pictures, etc.

Have to say I'm not impressed with Windows 10 as it is, and most issues I've seen people have result in a full reinstall (wtf?), how can every problem need a full reinstall of the OS??

Thanks

:)

matt83, Aug 1, 2016
  2. Gino Des Win User

Can't Access Administrator Account - Windows 10

Hi,

To better assist you, we would like to know the following information:

• Are you able to start your computer in safe mode?
    • Are you able to open the command prompt as an administrator?
    • Do you receive any error message when changing the built-in Administrator account? If yes, what is the exact error message that you receive?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Gino Des, Aug 1, 2016
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Aug 1, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi matt83 and welcome to Tenforums.
    Let's first make sure your system is completely clean, then we'll try a repair install.
    Do you know what virus it was that you had? That helps to know what we're looking for, as far as leftovers are concerned.

RKILL
    Download and run. This kills any suspicious activity on the system. Everything it does is undone by a reboot, so if you reboot, please run it again before continuing. Please post the log that appears after running the tool.

ADWCleaner
    Run the scan, then run "clean". Please also post that log after reboot. It can be found at C:\AdwCleaner.

JRT-Junkware Removal Tool
    Please also post this log.

Please post all logs, unedited and complete, in a code box, as they can get quite lengthy (use the # in the tools at the top of the box).

Once we have this information, and are assured there are no leftovers, we can proceed with a repair install using an in-place upgrade. This will maintain all applications and data on the machine. *Smile

simrick, Aug 1, 2016
  5. matt83 Win User
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply, i'll try these and post the log tomorrow.

matt83, Aug 1, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Sounds good.

simrick, Aug 1, 2016
  7. ch3mn3y Win User
    Got same about an hour ago.

All what's needed to be done is turning on UAC as it was off - Control Panel/Users accounts/Change UAC.
    Than rebooted and it's OK.

ch3mn3y, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Suddenly started receiving 'Built in Administrator' error message - Similar Threads - Suddenly started receiving

2. Receive an error message 0x80073712

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Receive an error message 0x80073712: I have had this error code 0x80073712 now for 4 months. I tried to fix the below-mentioned step:By troubleshooting windows update issue didn't resolve Did DIMS scan and repair. Re-start the device and receive the same error again. Follow these articles :Uanble to install...
  3. Receive an error message 0x80073712

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Receive an error message 0x80073712: I have had this error code 0x80073712 now for 4 months. I tried to fix the below-mentioned step:By troubleshooting windows update issue didn't resolve Did DIMS scan and repair. Re-start the device and receive the same error again. Follow these articles :Uanble to install...
  4. Receive an error message 0x80073712

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Built-in administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Built-in administrator: Hi microsoft team , Recently an update failed to install on my hp laptop which has windows 10 home edition and now whenever I open any app it just shows THIS APP CAN"T OPEN Microsoft edge can't be opened using the built in administrator account Please help me with this...
  6. Error messages being received

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Error messages being received: I am currently running Windows10 Professional version 1903 - Build 18362.778 A number of times during the past week I have had a message appear on my desktop. Can anyone tell me what it is please and is it anything I need to be concerned about or, is there anything that I...
  7. Error messages being received

in Windows 10 Support
    Error messages being received: I am currently running Windows10 Professional version 1903 - Build 18362.778 A number of times during the past week I have had a message appear on my desktop. Can anyone tell me what it is please and is it anything I need to be concerned about or, is there anything that I...
  8. Unable to Log In - receiving the "An administrator has restricted sign in" error message

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to Log In - receiving the "An administrator has restricted sign in" error message: I am currently locked out of my Dell laptop. It pops up with a message that states "An administrator has restricted sign in. To sign in, make sure your device is connected to the Internet, and have your administrator sign in first." I am the administrator on my laptop...
  9. Received an interesting message when starting backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Received an interesting message when starting backup: Got a new-to-me HP Reconditioned laptop on Monday and started my first backup on Tuesday and got this message. Never saw anything like it on any computer I have backed up. I'm hoping some of you experts can give me some help. I'm still doing backups every morning but don't...
  10. Built in Administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Built in Administrator: Help running Windows 10, and I am stuck in the Built in Administrator log-in. It started when I was tring to disable the log-in password for my account in Windows. I can not log-in to my user's account and do not see my profile. I have went the Users Account page in the...