Windows 10: Suddenly Windows Will Not Recognize My 2TB Seagate USB External Drive

Discus and support Suddenly Windows Will Not Recognize My 2TB Seagate USB External Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Before I recently upgraded my computer from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro, the drive was working fine. But now Windows will not recognize the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Durango, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Durango Win User

Suddenly Windows Will Not Recognize My 2TB Seagate USB External Drive

Before I recently upgraded my computer from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro, the drive was working fine. But now Windows will not recognize the drive.......although it does show up in Disk Management, there is no content.

I then ran the utility EaseUS Partition Master, and immediately the disk was recognized. In fact, the disk contents were even shown (photos and short videos), and everything looks to be in order.

I tried connecting the drive to an older computer running Win 7 Ultimate. Same problem......Windows won't recognize it, but EaseUS recognizes it and shows the drive contents.

Any idea why Windows won't now recognize this drive? It was working fine on my new computer before I upgraded to Win 10.

Thanks in advance..........

:)

Durango, Jun 20, 2016
  2. Eileen S. Win User

Microsoft Windows 10 Hard Drive Icon Problem

About two months ago, the icon for one of my external USB hard drives (that I have been using for over a year) turned from the drive icon to a document icon. I can access the drive and it behaves like a hard drive in all situations. My hard disk utility
    recognizes it as a hard drive and declares that it is in good health.

I use Windows 10 Pro (came with desktop PC) with three external USB hard drives for the bulk of my data: a 2TB Seagate, a 2TB Western Digital and a 5TB Seagate (primarily for local backups). It is the 2TB Seagate that is affected by this icon change.
    I ejected the drive and restored it and it still shows with the document icon.

I have owned a PC since 1982 and this is the very first time I have seen this occur. While the drive appears to operate just fine, the icon change is very irritating. BTW, it shows properly as a hard drive on my laptop (upgraded to Windows 10 from
    Windows 7).

I am very curious if this has been experienced by anyone else. If so, is there any way to restore the hard drive icon?

Eileen S., Jun 20, 2016
  3. Windows 10 will not recognize my old external drives

Windows 10 will not recognize my old external drives
    I have a brand new Dell Inspiron laptop computer with Windows 10. Arrgh I hate this OS. I have a Seagate 1TB external drive and 3- 2TB Western Digital Drives. Windows 10 knows they are there but says they are "unknown usb drives, (Port Reset
    Failed) Driver Error
    " I am a senior with medium computer skills and cannot figure out how to make Windows 10 recognize them so I can access the files. I tried downloading the Seagate and Western Digital drivers but that did not work. Will I have
    to buy newer drives and use my old computer to transfer the files?? Seems like an expensive proposition that I cannot afford.

diana braithwaite, Jun 20, 2016
  4. shimshom Win User

Hi Durango and welcome to the forum. Is the external drive self powered or passive and if self powered does the light come on when you plug it in

shimshom, Jun 20, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    I had a similar problem once. You can try to assign a drive letter manually using Disk Management. This issue can also be resolved by enabling automount and rebooting, which will bring this volume online and keep it online through subsequent reboots. Enabling automount can be done by opening a Command Prompt window and invoking DISKPART -> automount enable -> exit

Steve C, Jun 20, 2016
  6. With the external drive connected ...

• Download dmDskmgr-vd.zip (contains dmDskmgr-vd.mmc)

• Double click dmDskmgr-vd.zip to open the compressed folder
      Double click dmDskmgr-vd.mmc to launch the custom Disk Management console

• Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
      Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image

• Attach the image to a new post

Thanks

Slartybart, Jun 20, 2016
  7. Durango Win User
    I apologize for not responding to your replies. I got no notification that anyone had replied.

And yes the drive is self powered. The light comes on, and I can feel a little heat & vibration when it is plugged in.

I'll try the other suggestions this evening and report back.

Durango, Jun 22, 2016
  8. Durango Win User

OK, problem solved. Somehow during the Win 10 upgrade process, the drive letter got deleted and I did not notice that. So as Steve C suggested, I used Disk Management to assign a drive letter, and now Windows recognizes my drive.

Thanks much to everyone who responded.

Durango, Jun 22, 2016
  9. Thanks to this thread..I faced the same problem though not exactly.. After couple of months I just fixed my friend's HDD just now.. Thank you very much.. ^_^

leovflores16, Jun 24, 2016
  10. TrustMe Win User
    Thank you Steve!! My portable drives were not showing in ThisPC and this worked perfect. I was going to do a clean install next month with the new ISO but now I don't have to.

TrustMe, Jun 25, 2016
  11. tonyblair Win User
    You can try Maxtor data recovery software to recover MY 2GB Seagate USB external drive or recover Maxtor 500GB external hard drive not recognized on Windows 7 or on other versions of Windows OS. For more details, you can visit this link: http://www.maxtor-datarecovery.com/5...windows-7.html

tonyblair, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Suddenly Windows Will Not Recognize My 2TB Seagate USB External Drive - Similar Threads - Suddenly Recognize 2TB

2. USB Drives with 2TB not recognizing no media problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Drives with 2TB not recognizing no media problem: [ATTACH] Hi guys. I have a problem. When I insert a 2 TB Usb Drive into my laptop, my laptop detects it but it doesn't recognize it and I check in disk management and it says no media. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  3. Windows 10 not recognizing Seagate 5TB external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 not recognizing Seagate 5TB external drive: I bought a new 5TB Seagate external portable backup drive. Windows 10 would not recognize it. Windows 10 Device Manager could see and name the device, but when doing 'create and format' the disk, the screen went blank. It even froze the PC. Many other problems materialized...
  4. Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive

Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive: I am having no luck in trying to figure out why the Microsoft Windows Bitlocker Drive Encryption app will not recognize a new Seagate external USB hard drive. I have other external drives Toshiba, HP and have had no problems with them. When I bring up the Bitlocker control...
  5. Seagate external drive is not always recognized in windows 10

Seagate external drive is not always recognized in windows 10: I have a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop external drive that doesn't stay recognized in Windows 10. I have to undo the power cord and the USB cord and hook it back up to get it to recognize it. Is there some setting I am missing or something else that can cause this?...
  6. Reformating Seagate 1TB USB External driveds

Reformating Seagate 1TB USB External driveds: I have a 1TB Seagate USB external hard drive I'm trying tor reformat to exFat file system to use data storage on a Chromebook. The disk worked perfectly for more than five years using NTSF file system before I tried to reformat it. It was in formatting stage for for about six...
  7. Windows 10 Backup does not recognize Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup does not recognize Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Drive: Hi, I've been facing this problem for a long time now. Tried many options mentioned in various forums on the same topic but could not find a resolution that could work for me. Here is a brief description of my problem: 1) My Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB is showing up...
  8. Seagate 2tb external drive

Seagate 2tb external drive: Bought a new usb cord since it kept randomly disconnecting the drive. It shows up in device management and on disk drives yet it says it cant initialize and wont show how much memory has been used or is available in volumes I dont know what to do...
  9. Seagate USB drive not always recognized

Seagate USB drive not always recognized: I have two USB Seagate drives I use to hold my backups. When I plug one of them in (to a USB port on the computer), it/they are not always recognized. I have to plug and unplug the power and communications cords more than once before the drive is recognized. I have tried all...
  10. 2TB Seagate drive not recognized Windows 10 (no Disk Management)

2TB Seagate drive not recognized Windows 10 (no Disk Management): I have a 2TB Seagate GoFlex Desk external hard drive that works fine on my previous Windows XP computer (I know, very old) but is not recognized at all on my less-than-a-year old Toshiba laptop (S55-C5274) running Windows 10. I have been through support with Seagate,...