Windows 10: Sufficient RAM for OS...or is it a more is better situation?

Discus and support Sufficient RAM for OS...or is it a more is better situation? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, all. I'm new-ish here - reading and learning mainly. This is only the second topic I've started. Right now, I have two options, as far as I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Casey, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Casey Win User

Sufficient RAM for OS...or is it a more is better situation?

Hi, all.

I'm new-ish here - reading and learning mainly. This is only the second topic I've started.

Right now, I have two options, as far as I see it.

I can either double the 2GB of RAM in my Toshiba C660-1UX, and perform an in place upgrade to Win 10. (If I do this, I'm playing a risky game with graphics drivers, as there aren't any Win8 drivers for my Intel 4500M graphics card.)

Or, I can upgrade to the Toshiba L50-C-1XM. This has 8GB of RAM.

Is it always better to have more RAM than the OS requires? (I'd be going for 64-bit Windows 10 in either case.)

Many thanks,

:)

Casey, Nov 19, 2015

2. We need a better OS, after all a OS is customer service

There should be a OS where we can delete or uninstall any and all programs at a whim. Like People-calendars-mail-Cortina- People like me like control of their operating system not the other way around. In my experience windows 10 is extremely buggy and
    I have all new up to date hardware as I build my own custom PC's for my self and my family; so I know it is not a hardware issue. Windows update wasn't even working properly at all either. In my experience windows 10 sucks big donkey balls and a lazy OS made
    by lazy people. Having more control of my OS like with vista or 7 was great, even 8 at least lets you uninstall apps that are unnecessary except cloud. We should even be able to delete or uninstall cloud as well if we so choose. These OS systems are getting
    more and more disturbingly communistic

williamnelson415, Nov 19, 2015
  3. goth_zid Win User
    which is better a bluetooth or usb cable for connectivity?

i'm using a GPRS for my internet connection. i'd like to ask which is better a bluetooth or usb cable for connectivity? does a bluetooth or usb cable affect the performance of my connection? which one got a better data transfer rate and does not always
    drop a connection?

goth_zid, Nov 19, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

If you can go get the LO50-C-1XM. 8Gb of RAM is the sweet spot, IMO, and you can't have enough memory. I have 8gb of RAM and the OS and my programs/apps work just fine.

HTH
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 19, 2015
  5. Rocky Win User
    In my opinion, if you could afford the new Toshiba, go for it. Otherwise install Windows 10 in your current rig and have fun learning and playing with it. I don't know much about this RAM thing, I have 16 GB and I am happy as a lark.

Rocky, Nov 19, 2015
  6. Casey Win User
    Thank you, guys.

Now - question is, will I be able to find it at a lower price as we sneak closer to the festive period?

Casey, Nov 19, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
  8. LMiller7 Win User

Within reasonable limits adding more memory will improve performance. But there will always be a point of diminishing returns beyond which there will be little gain. That point is heavily dependent on the workload. With typical workloads 8 GB RAM is about right for a 64 bit OS. 4 GB RAM will likely limit performance in some situations while more than 8 GB will usually be a waste. There are always exceptions.

LMiller7, Nov 19, 2015
  9. Casey Win User
    Thanks, LMiller - this machine would need to be an all-rounder, from web browsing to audio recording. (Not professional level audio recording, I hasten to add.)

Casey, Nov 19, 2015
  10. Atomic77 Win User
    I upgraded my desktop to windows 10 and it works great. my computer has 12 gigabyte ram in it right from the start.

Atomic77, Nov 20, 2015
  11. Almighty1 Win User
    I had 16GB of RAM and it was chocking with all my Google Chrome Browers tab opened, 24GB helped a little even though only 50% was used.

Almighty1, Nov 21, 2015
  12. Rocky Win User
    Your post really doesn't make much sense. Maybe something is drastically wrong with your computer but I usually use about 1.6 GB of RAM unless I am doing intense decoding or something, when I might use about 4 GB of RAM. Nobody really jumps from 16 MB to 24 GB like you said, that is a jump of about 100,000 times more RAM. That is a huge jump.

Rocky, Nov 21, 2015
  13. Almighty1 Win User

It was a mistype, I meant 16GB to 24GB. No one even has 16MB of ram installed in this day and age either. And it's nothing wrong with my computer, Google Chrome and Flash is a resource hog especially when you run 100 browsing tabs of Google Mail with 300,000 emails and multiple instances of facebook.

Almighty1, Nov 21, 2015
  14. Rocky Win User
    Almighty1, so you are saying that you use about 12 GB of RAM just surfing the internet? There must be something wrong with your computer. Right now I have Google Chrome open (3 tabs) Edge open (4 tabs) and Outlook open and I am using 1.9 GB.

Rocky, Nov 21, 2015
  15. Rocky Win User
    Really. I am glad I don't do Facebook.

Rocky, Nov 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Sufficient RAM for OS...or is it a more is better situation? - Similar Threads - Sufficient RAM more

2. 1x16GB ram vs 2x16GB ram - Which is better?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1x16GB ram vs 2x16GB ram - Which is better?: Is it better to have two 8GB sticks or a single 16GB stick of ram on a PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1x16gb-ram-vs-2x16gb-ram-which-is-better/276085d3-9133-4b69-9252-850695188761
  3. 1x16GB ram vs 2x16GB ram - Which is better?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1x16GB ram vs 2x16GB ram - Which is better?: Is it better to have two 8GB sticks or a single 16GB stick of ram on a PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1x16gb-ram-vs-2x16gb-ram-which-is-better/276085d3-9133-4b69-9252-850695188761
  4. Is it normal for a better computer to allocate more RAM to background processes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it normal for a better computer to allocate more RAM to background processes?: Hi all -So I recently got a new computer. My old computer had 8GB RAM and a worse processor. This one has 32GB RAM and a much better processor.When I started it up, I noticed that background processes were taking more RAM than they did on my old computer. For example, on task...
  5. Is it normal for a better computer to allocate more RAM to background processes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it normal for a better computer to allocate more RAM to background processes?: Hi all -So I recently got a new computer. My old computer had 8GB RAM and a worse processor. This one has 32GB RAM and a much better processor.When I started it up, I noticed that background processes were taking more RAM than they did on my old computer. For example, on task...
  6. Is it normal for a better computer to allocate more RAM to background processes?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Are more drive partitions better?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are more drive partitions better?: I've recently heard that creating more drive partitions would make my computer more efficient, and I'm planning to do the same to all my games (dividing them based on genre etc). Should I do it, or should I store all of them within a single drive? submitted by...
  8. More RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    More RAM: Is there an way to get more RAM? or optimize it for Gaming? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-ram/6563cc3a-a01c-462b-8e34-ae450b6503c6
  9. RAM use more and more

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAM use more and more: Ram is consuming more and more altough i have 8 gb of ram. Even there is no program running or any high usage program is not running then also RAM stay above 6.8 or 7.1out of 7.9. Please help me in fixing this issue....
  10. More ram

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    More ram: hi,guys I have a dell inspiron m5040 laptop, it seems to load web pages a bit on the slow side, I note its using 4 GB of ram at the moment, I believe I can add a further 4 GB of ram, do you guys think the upgrade to a total of 8 GB of ram would load web pages faster, thanks...