Windows 10: Suggested ways to set up a Windows 10 computer for a child

Discus and support Suggested ways to set up a Windows 10 computer for a child in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi forum, my first post. Just bought a Windows 10 desktop PC for my kid. She will mainly use it for schoolwork, internet, office and gaming (SIMS)... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by temujin, Dec 24, 2016.

1. temujin Win User

Suggested ways to set up a Windows 10 computer for a child

Hi forum, my first post.

Just bought a Windows 10 desktop PC for my kid.
    She will mainly use it for schoolwork, internet, office and gaming (SIMS)

What would be the preferred way of setting up her account? I am not sure if SIMS require an online account or exactly how that works. I do not see any immediate need for oneDrive or other online resources, though it might be other good reasons for starting with a microsoft account instead of a local account.

I see my options are.
    Login myself with Microsoft account (make myself primary admin) and create a local user account for my daughter,
    Login myself with Microsoft account (make myself admin) and create an online user account for my daughter.
    Login myself with Microsoft account (make myself admin) and create both a local and online user account for my daughter.
    Create both primary admin account and secondary user account for my daughter,

Would like to have some access to monitoring tools, internet use etc , but I am really not sure how much admin privileges SIMS requires.

Anyone with any good suggestions?

regards
    t.

:)

temujin, Dec 24, 2016
  2. Emilio C. Win User

I am wrongly set up as a Child in My Family set up - how Can I change to a Parent profile

Hi Philippe BIAUD,

It is right that you can’t configure your daughter as a child related to your account, if you have been set up as a Child on your Microsoft account.

To fix this situation there are various options, depending on how your account have been set up as Child account.

- Your account is recognized as child account by the system according to the date of birth putted in.

If this is the case you can try to change your D.O.B. by logging in with your account into the following link:

account.live.com

There you can edit your personal information. Please make sure to fill out as much Information as possible, specially your D.O.B., Region and time zone.

- If your account is set up as the child account of a parent account you have to remove it from that parent account by logging in to the following link with the access information from the parent account:

Familisafety

There you will find your child account, if it was set up as child of this parent account. You have to click on the child and select on the top menu “remove family member”.

If this information does not help you to fix your issue please provide more information on how your account is configured as child account.

Kind regards,

Emilio

Emilio C., Dec 24, 2016
  3. I am wrongly set up as a Child in My Family set up - how Can I change to a Parent profile

I am wrongly set up as a Child on my window phone account profile (instead of being Parent).

I believe this is vblocking me from configuring my daughter as a child in my family set up.

How can I fix this?

Thanks

Philippe BIAUD, Dec 24, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User

Just go to the start menu and enter "child." From there go to the settings, add family member and then set up restrictions.

Rocky, Dec 24, 2016
  5. temujin Win User
    Thanks for replying.
    That would be the obvious way to do it, I agree on that.
    I am still wondering about the benefits of having a microsoft live Child account versus just creating a local child account.
    Apart from the parental control features on the online account, are there other pros for using an online account instead of a local one (for I child who is less likely to need any syncing between devices,,,)

temujin, Dec 25, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    I am curious too so please report your findings if you discover the best route to go. I have Grandchildren that use my computer so I am always concerned.

I just usually just dual boot with a Linux OS and then set up the Linux the way I want the kids to see it. For me that has always been easiest than dealing with Microsoft's limitations.

Rocky, Dec 25, 2016
  7. TairikuOkami, Dec 25, 2016
  8. Rocky Win User

I have Kaspersky Total Security 2017 on my Windows system that has many child safety features.

Rocky, Dec 26, 2016
  9. Linda JOJ Win User
    I think, that build-in parent control in Win 10 is far from perfection,so I’d recommend you to buy a separate programm with many features, for example Kids Watch or Time Boss Pro.This programs have remote access to kids PC, forced breaks, grants,limitation internet sites by time and others...

Linda JOJ, Jan 17, 2017
  10. temujin Win User
    I ended up creating a Windows Account for trying out the family features.
    Also created a local admin account for her if she has to install programs on her own....

Enabled the family features on the windows account and installed Qustodio Free version for all users on the computer.
    So far I have had no issues (I am mostly concerned about the possible google hits if she googles the "wrong" word,

temujin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Suggested ways to set up a Windows 10 computer for a child - Similar Threads - Suggested ways set

2. Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer: My child is the administrator of their computer and Microsoft 365 account. I want to set up the Family Safety- so I can restrict content and set up time allowance each time.Does it matter that they are the administrator of their computer and 365 account. Should I set up the...
  3. Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer: My child is the administrator of their computer and Microsoft 365 account. I want to set up the Family Safety- so I can restrict content and set up time allowance each time.Does it matter that they are the administrator of their computer and 365 account. Should I set up the...
  4. Setting up Family Saftey account on child's computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 and computer set up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 and computer set up: HI, My wife uses MS products at school. Her school has a licence for software as educational. In setting up our new PC we were forced to create a hotmail account for logging into the pc. We then wanted to use office 365 and all other parts using her school email...
  6. Setting up computer is there a way to delete all information?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setting up computer is there a way to delete all information?: I am setting up my new computer and at the point of entering my birthday. I already can tell I don't like this computer and I want to return it. Is there a way to totally erase everything I've already put in so that it can be returned to the store?...
  7. How to set up a child account

How to set up a child account: I'm having trouble setting up a child account on a Windows 10 machine. I'm prompted to add a child, but the system won't accept the account because the email account isn't a Microsoft account, and I don't plan to give him a Microsoft account. So if I select instead the...
  8. Pop-up 'suggestions' always in the way

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pop-up 'suggestions' always in the way: How do I turn off the pop-up suggestions that always get in the way when I move the mouse, or pass over anything on the screen? It is really annoying. I don't need this thing trying to tell me what I'm looking at, or constantly making suggestions that are always WHAT I am...
  9. Setting up Child accounts on a Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setting up Child accounts on a Laptop: How can I share Apps and software on my children's login on our family laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-child-accounts-on-a-laptop/39cb219c-3b9e-4843-acf6-885725d87f58
  10. Setting up a laptop for a child

Setting up a laptop for a child: Hi there, I have purchased a laptop for my son's birthday and am setting it up before giving it to him. I have got to the stage where I need to log in with Microsoft. Is it best to log in with my account details and then later create an account for him and add him to my...