Windows 10: Suggestion to simplify the language management of mutli-linguale users

Discus and support Suggestion to simplify the language management of mutli-linguale users in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I will start by apologizing if this topic ran before, but after a brief scan of the community topics I did not see that it was tackled with this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Pierre Roy (pierroy), Aug 7, 2018.

1. Suggestion to simplify the language management of mutli-linguale users

Hi,

I will start by apologizing if this topic ran before, but after a brief scan of the community topics I did not see that it was tackled with this angle. But I've seen lots of post where people suffer from the language selection problem.

In short, language management in Office and Windows has always been a pain for me. It's a pain because it has some automatic features that are counter productive. I think this is due to trying to do too much. So this post is a general suggestion for simplifying the interface. I will achieve this by listing concepts that I think should be followed.

1. Keyboard does not equal language

Users are familiar with a few keyboard layouts, often only one. We don't need the keyboard to switch because we want proofreading in a different language and we don't want language to change because we are switching keyboard layout. I usually define two languages (French & English) with the French Canadian layout for both language.

2. We don't needs 300 types of French or English language

It's nice to be able to support your local form of the language, but once you have settled on English Canada, or English USA, or English Jamaica, there should be a way to hide all the other English choices. This will make life much easier when trying to fix the wrong language that Office automatically selected. In fact there should be a way to hide most of the languages that I don't think I will ever use so the list of available choices stays short and efficient.

3. Speaking of language selection: All applications (I really mean all) should be affected by the language selection at the bottom of the screen. That should be the only way to change the language. Simple, efficient, fast, easy to understand. That single improvement would take away most of the annoyance of the current broken system of language selection.

4. The OS language is not the user's default language

Might sound contradictory, but many of us need to run the OS in a specific language due to company policy that has nothing to do with the default language we want to use. My case: I'm working in Quebec and my Windows is installed in French. But I deal with customers in Europe, mostly in English. It's not their language, it's not mine, but that is the business language we use. I would appreciate that Windows did not reset my input language to French every time I lock and unlock my workstation.

Also, many run the OS in English simply because there is more and better support in English on the internet.

5. Fix the bugs in Office where it can't appear to understand that when you select a large text and set the language to a specific language you want to change the language for that selection. For some unknown reason this has never worked well and Office stubbornly refuses to update the language of the selected text correctly.

It's really that simple:

- The keyboard and language selector in the task bar controls it all

- Never change automatically the language. Stay with the last section from the user

- Allow the user to change the language of a text selection with this task bar control.

Hoping to see this long awaited simplification and improvement soon Suggestion to simplify the language management of mutli-linguale users :).

:)

Pierre Roy (pierroy), Aug 7, 2018

2. Cannot set Chinese Simplified as Display Language

I have added Chinese Simplified to the system languages, and I am able to use it as input. When I try to change the display language in the control panel, my only options are "Use language list" and "English (US)." In settings, when I select Chinese simplified
    options, it only allows me to change the keyboard. Am I missing a setting to change the display language, or is Chinese simplified not supported as a display language?

KyleHunter_120, Aug 7, 2018
  3. Kreij Win User
    Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Aug 7, 2018
  4. Suggestion to simplify the language management of mutli-linguale users

Cannot Download all language options in Chinese (Simplified) language pack

Hi Francis,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience
    caused.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

Please confirm that it is a Chinese language of Windows 10 home or single language version. If yes then you will not be able to uninstall or remove or make any such changes.

I suggest that you try the steps below and check if the issue still persist.

• On the search bar type “Control Panel” and then go to “Language”.
    • Click on “Language” and on the left pane, locate “Advance Settings” and click on it.
    • Locate “Override on Default Input Method” click on the drop down box and choose your preferred language.
    • Click on “OK” and restart your system and check if it resolves your issue.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Anup Karkal, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

Suggestion to simplify the language management of mutli-linguale users

1. Suggestion to simplify the language management of mutli-linguale users - Similar Threads - Suggestion simplify language

2. Unable to Select Simplified Chinese in "Language and Region" Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Select Simplified Chinese in "Language and Region" Settings: Hi, everyone,I'm experiencing an issue with my "Language and Region" settings on my Microsoft device. I am unable to select "Simplified Chinese" as an option in "Add a language" because it appears to be grayed out. I've tried the solutions provided in Cannot select simplified...
  3. unable to change display language setting to simplified Chinese

unable to change display language setting to simplified Chinese: When attempting to add a language, in the "choose a language to install" tab both Singapore simplified Chinese and China simplified Chinese are grey and I can not click on them for installation....
  4. Unable to install Microsoft pinyin for Simplified Chinese Language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install Microsoft pinyin for Simplified Chinese Language: 1. I already instaleed chinese language pack in my Windows setting app2. However, everytime i switch my typing language to Chinese, it doesn't works and this notification comes out3. I click on the notification and get into the language section in setting app4. I add a new...
  5. Unable to install Microsoft pinyin for Simplified Chinese Language

Unable to install Microsoft pinyin for Simplified Chinese Language: 1. I already instaleed chinese language pack in my Windows setting app2. However, everytime i switch my typing language to Chinese, it doesn't works and this notification comes out3. I click on the notification and get into the language section in setting app4. I add a new...
  6. Cannot select simplified Chinese as display language.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot select simplified Chinese as display language.: Hi, my new laptop preinstalled win11 but I can't select simplified Chinese as display language, any other languages works but simplified Chinese, even traditional Chinese works but only simplified Chinese shows gray and can't be selected both PRC and Singapore. I tried change...
  7. Cannot select simplified Chinese as display language.

Cannot select simplified Chinese as display language.: Hi, my new laptop preinstalled win11 but I can't select simplified Chinese as display language, any other languages works but simplified Chinese, even traditional Chinese works but only simplified Chinese shows gray and can't be selected both PRC and Singapore. I tried change...
  8. Keyboard & language suggestions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard & language suggestions: I have many languages installed on my laptop running Windows 10, so I'd like to suggest a small but useful feature on how to make swithing languages with Win + space easier and faster. So let say you have 2 main languages you usually use (english and your native) and also...
  9. Installing simplified Chinese language pack breaks the language bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing simplified Chinese language pack breaks the language bar: Hello, I have a laptop with Windows 10 Home Build 18363. It has Canadian English and US English in it, everything working fine but when I install the Simplified Chinese language pack, the language bar and input method break. They stop showing in the taskbar and the key...
  10. Simplifying kiosk management for IT with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Simplifying kiosk management for IT with Windows 10: This post outlines the investments Microsoft is making to simplify the configuration and management of kiosk devices, improving Windows 10 as a kiosk platform for IT organizations. Our investments in kiosk and Firstline Worker scenarios are part of a bigger mission to...