Windows 10: suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program

Discus and support suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi I would like some suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program... Have tried loads and loads today, Free & trial versions...many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by reddwarf4ever, Nov 14, 2016.

1. suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program

Hi

I would like some suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program...

Have tried loads and loads today, Free & trial versions...many free ones have 3 minute limits or watermarks etc etc...

I need to capture some video & audio from a website...The video is 11-12 minutes long...Ideally i would like a small window ( not recorded ) showing status...and use a hot key to start end recording, or a timer would be even better.

Prefer a free program, but can pay if its to get what i need....many programs that accept a URL only accept from a list....which mine falls outside of

Thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Nov 14, 2016
  2. CraigLong Win User

How to configure line in

Enable Stereo Mix. Speaker icon right click -> Recording devices -> Stereo Mix.

Stereo Mix captures the desktop sounds.

Enable Stereo Mix and then set the Audacity sound input to Stereo Mix.

But often programs have their own built-in desktop capture capabilities.

CraigLong, Nov 14, 2016
  3. How to configure line in

Thanks for the reply. Initially I didn't understand it but then realised I could resolve the problem entirely within Audacity. Following further searches on you tube I understood your suggestions and solved the problem. Thanks.

johntucker241, Nov 14, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program

essenbe, Nov 14, 2016
  5. Thanks, will have a look....isn't audacity only for audio ?

just installed expression encoder 4, can't see an obvious way to capture web video....

will have to to look for a guide

reddwarf4ever, Nov 14, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    Yes, Audacity is audio only. Expression encoder is a screen capture video and audio program. It will capture whatever is on your screen.

essenbe, Nov 15, 2016
  7. Try3 Win User
    I have just started using ActivePresenter free edition to capture streaming video & audio.

It seems fine [it is clear of time limits & watermarks]. Recording can be ended with a hotkey.

Denis

8. essenbe Win User

Glad you found something you like.

essenbe, Nov 15, 2016
  9. Try3 Win User
    {essenbe, The OP is reddwarf4ever not me. Denis}

10. Berton Win User
    Berton, Nov 15, 2016
  11. Did try activepresenter, along with dozens of others....couldn't find anything that worked or didn't have restrictions, will try this again..
    can't see how to,use expression encoder to capture a video screen...
    will also,try ANT...thanks for the advice

reddwarf4ever, Nov 15, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    You will have a folder with 2 shortcuts in it. One is the encoder the other is the screencapture program. The screencapture has a red dot on it. Like this
    suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program [​IMG]

When it opens the controls will look like this bar
    suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program [​IMG]
    The cog wheel is for the settings, if you push the red dot it will give you a box to select the part of the screen to capture. Once you do that, you will have the recording controls. Press the red record button and it will do a countdown from 3 and start recording whatever is on your screen. Audio is set in the settings.

When you finish recording click the square in the middle of the control and it will start. You can then send it to the encoder where you can edit, set the recording quality and encode it into whatever format you want.

It is a very good program once you figure it out, but is pretty easy. When installing it will ask for a key. Just press continue, you do not need a key. There is no watermark or restrictions on it.

essenbe, Nov 15, 2016
  13. suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program

Thanks, will definitely give this a go....

reddwarf4ever, Nov 15, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Another solution is to do it via Hardware-- you'll need two bits of kit

1) Hardware capture device
    2) HDMI splitter (cheap Chinese ones are best as they strip off any DRM - up to Full HD 1080p resolution on the output pass thru -- nobody has yet managed 4K HDMI splitter to pass thru without problems - but somebody will soon enough I suspect).

While this is obviously more expensive than the freebie it's infinitely more flexible. For example I capture SKY Q HD TV, AMAZON stuff as well etc so I can watch later.

Most of these devices also can capture directly to an SD card or external USB device so you can get HQ streams whatever the resolution of your laptop / computer.

Might be overkill for what you need but I've found this really useful - especially as things like Amazon don't normally allow to save to PC -- funnily enough Android slabs and phones are allowed.

Video format is usually in m2ts which is easily converted to mkv/mp4 etc and in any case W10 movie player plays it with no prob. PLEX will also stream it.

So what you'll need is from the computer--->HDMI splitter --> Capture device --USB back to computer. Start the capture program on PC and you can monitor in real time what you are capturing.

You won't get feedback error since the captured video is entered via the USB device.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 15, 2016
  15. Thanks, but would be overkill, as only need for a few days hopefully

thanks formthe advice though

reddwarf4ever, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program - Similar Threads - suggestions desktop video

2. Suggest a program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suggest a program: Hi. I want a program like VPN software but different from them I now Windows has the ability to connect to a VPN with different protocols, but importing too many VPNs bothers me, especially when I want to connect to a Wi-Fi. For this reason, I am looking for a...
  3. Video Capture

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video Capture: How do I capture video from my Sony Handycam Md DCR-HC65? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-capture/392d225d-41da-4bdd-88bf-0727f995a4c6
  4. Video capturing with usb capture device

in Windows 10 Support
    Video capturing with usb capture device: Hi me again once again I find myself struggling. A few years ago I did some video capture with a PCI card and phono to VHS player which worked fine. Some time back I bought an Easycap usb device as card was in an earlier PC and has gone, I have to confess I cant remember if...
  5. No sound on captured videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No sound on captured videos: So my issue is I have no sound on captured videos via the windows key + alt + G shortcut, this is basically part of the Windows 10 Gaming Bar, which records the last 5 minutes of my screen. I initialy realised I had this issue when trying to use the NVidia Instant Reply...
  6. Video and Audio Capture

Video and Audio Capture: I am using Windows 10 64 with latest update. I am using Cyberlink Power Director 15 and Honestech capture and production software. Last year the software worked just fine. Now I cannot capture any video/audio. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software. Immediate...
  7. video capture

in Windows 10 Gaming
    video capture: hello, im trying to capture some game footage when i play and every time i got back to watch the videos i just shows a screen shot of when i 1st hit alt windows G and has audio but it doesnt play the actual footage that i was originally trying to capture. i was wonder if you...
  8. Video capture

Video capture: Cannot get windows 10 to find the capture adapter, tried everything that I can think of. Would like some help if someone tell can me how to fix this problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/video-capture/656aea48-6b7c-4cf9-a0a0-6db5190d2f9c
  9. Program suggestions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program suggestions: Hello, I am not too sure if this the correct sub-forum to post this in. I'm looking for more programs that are 'MUST HAVE' for Windows, I currently use CCleaner and Driver Booster, is their any program suggestions that you have? 18639
  10. No sound: Suggestions?

No sound: Suggestions?: I was looking at a video on youtube, didn't do anything, all of a sudden the sound goes out. I make sure nothing on youtube is muted and it wasn't. So I right click my "SPEAKERS" icon (I'm wearing headphones) I click SOUND, then I click the SOUND tab, and the "test" icon is...