Windows 10: Suggestions for Fingerprint Reader

Discus and support Suggestions for Fingerprint Reader in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm looking for a new fingerprint reader, and would like some suggestions or recommendations... I have 3 old APC Biopods, and they used to work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DrWizard, Mar 17, 2018.

1. DrWizard Win User

Suggestions for Fingerprint Reader

I'm looking for a new fingerprint reader, and would like some suggestions or recommendations...

I have 3 old APC Biopods, and they used to work really really well. Alas, they haven't been supported since Windows XP and so they are sitting in a drawer. I have searched long and hard for updated drivers to no avail.

I've bought 3 different "swipe" style readers, and have been disappointed with all of them. Too many rejections! It doesn't help that my fingers are often dirty or scuffed up, but the Biopods were relatively tolerant of that.

So I think what I want is one of the "touch" style readers, similar to the Biopod, where you just press your finger on the window for a moment.

I am very much on a budget, so I've been looking at used ones on eBay. But I suspect that a lot of the older, cheaper ones do not work with Windows Hello, and a great deal of googling has failed to turn up a compatibility list or even if specific models work.

So I am looking for recommendations from people that have them. My requirements are:
    1) Works with Windows Hello.
    2) Touch style (as opposed to swipe).
    3) Available used, cheap, on eBay.

Some of the ones I've been looking at are:
    Targus PA460
    UPEK TouchChip TCRU1C
    SecuGen Hamster Plus HSDU03M
    Digital Persona UareU 4500 (50013-001-103)

Thanks in advance!

:)

DrWizard, Mar 17, 2018

2. Can i use External Fingerprint reader to use Windows Hello in Windows 10.

<Original Title: Windows Hello External Fingerprint reader>

I have a question of Windows Hello Fingerprint readers I was wanting to know if I buy an external fingerprint reader will that fingerprint reader work with Windows Hello? Please respond ASAP I want to get more advanced tech for my PC!

Tristin_828, Mar 17, 2018
  3. MG__ Win User
    Windows Hello

Fingerprint log-in does not function with Windows Hello using Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude E7450 equipped with a built-in Fingerprint Reader.
    Technique used to scan fingerprint is resting finger on reader, momentarily pausing, and then moving finger upward.

Problem started when using Settings to add fingerprint of index and middle finger of right hand - reader did not recognize fingerprints.
    Contacted Dell for assistance to replace reader and update driver. New reader finally recognized fingerprints after multiple attempts to add fingerprints.

After fingerprints were added, only a few log-ins have been successful using fingerprints.
    Most attempts to log-in with fingerprints lead to messages prompting me to clean reader and/or require log in with PIN after too many unsuccessful attempts. Cleaning the new reader with a dry cloth did not help.

Please let me know tips for using Finger Print Reader to log in from Windows Hello.

4. Suggestions for Fingerprint Reader

Masterchiefxx17, Mar 18, 2018
  5. DrWizard Win User
    I ended up buying a SecuGen Hamster Plus off of eBay for $19. WBF compatible drivers are not included in the box, but they are available for download. It uses a "touch" style optical scanner with a little window, as opposed to the "swipe" style. Alas, it too has a high rejection rate, but I've noticed the angle at which I touch the window is critical and must be consistent. So I'm thinking of designing and 3D printing a 'finger guide' so that I touch it in a more repeatable manner.

DrWizard, Mar 21, 2018
  6. I am confused on why the original thread was started if you didn't even follow the recommendations given to you. As I said, I've had great success with the unit I linked. There is little to no failures and it's a touch style sensor.

Masterchiefxx17, Mar 22, 2018
  7. DrWizard Win User
    With it's tiny window, I was concerned about it being choosy about finger placement, but I went ahead ordered one of those too (but from AliExpress at a better price, so it'll take a while to get here from China) But I need it for a desktop machine, in a desk, with a keyboard/mouse tray, so I'd have to come up with a way to mount it. The published false acceptance & rejection rates for the Hamster were some of the best anywhere. [But published stats sometimes lie.] When the small one that you suggested arrives, I will tinker with it, and perhaps 3D print a holder for it for the keyboard tray, or put it on my laptop (which doesn't get used as often as the desktop).

DrWizard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Suggestions for Fingerprint Reader

1. Suggestions for Fingerprint Reader - Similar Threads - Suggestions Fingerprint Reader

2. Fingerprint reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint reader: Hy i just bought an Asus Studiobook pro 16 brand new winth windows 11 Pro,and when i try to Setup the Microsoft Hello Fingerprint sign in ,when it asked to put sa finger on the sensor ,nothing happening.The driver is up to date,the Laptop is with Fingerprint reader ,i try...
  3. Fingerprint reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fingerprint reader: Hy i just bought an Asus Studiobook pro 16 brand new winth windows 11 Pro,and when i try to Setup the Microsoft Hello Fingerprint sign in ,when it asked to put sa finger on the sensor ,nothing happening.The driver is up to date,the Laptop is with Fingerprint reader ,i try...
  4. Fingerprint reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint reader: My Precision5530 will not let me use the fingerprint reader to sign into my computer. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-reader/b314b40e-f1d8-4656-8445-ce60053a472c
  5. Fingerprint reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fingerprint reader: My Precision5530 will not let me use the fingerprint reader to sign into my computer. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-reader/b314b40e-f1d8-4656-8445-ce60053a472c
  6. fingerprint reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    fingerprint reader: I have had my yoga C940 for about two weeks and my fingerprint reader has been working fine. then all of a sudden it stops working so I delete it to add another an this happens. I'm totally upset because this is one of the main reasons I purchased his laptop. the windows 10...
  7. fingerprinter reader

fingerprinter reader: hola, tengo un portatil lenovo, venia con windows 7, compre windows 10 pro, pero mi fingerprinter reader no funciona, en windows hello ni en otras aplicaciones, en administrador de de dispositivos lo trate de actualizar diver y me dice que no encontro diver en linea y que...
  8. Fingerprint Reader

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fingerprint Reader: I have an HP Envy x360 latest model and as soon as I updated to windows 10 my fingerprint sign in option went away I was using it for 3 months before I updated without problems. Now when I go to the wonderful new "windows hello" it tells me that my device does not have a...
  9. Fingerprint Reader

Fingerprint Reader: Hello! My laptop won't let me sign in with my fingerprint reader, anymore! Last night I deleted my fingerprints and re-scanned them, but they're still not working. Can anyone help me?...
  10. Fingerprint Reader ?

Fingerprint Reader ?: Hi, I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon (2012 version) with a fingerprint reader. When I want to install the lenovo driver I have a message that said the Windows Biometric Framework need to be activate. I go into gpedit.msc and active the service, reboot the computer but still the...