Windows 10: Suggestions on services to disable?

Discus and support Suggestions on services to disable? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am attempting to air gap a windows 10 pc, all previous attempts have failed miserably at protecting my files. I do not use any remote or virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sonya, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Sonya Win User

Suggestions on services to disable?

I am attempting to air gap a windows 10 pc, all previous attempts have failed miserably at protecting my files. I do not use any remote or virtual services. I have been disabling everything I can think of, but there's still so many things I'm not sure what they are exactly.

I only need to be able to run Adobe PhotoShop CS6, and access my bit locker drives.

Below I will include services from process hacker.

:)

Sonya, Apr 8, 2017

2. Closing a window takes me back to the Start screen in Windows 10

I have the exact same issue. Pretty much am using the workaround of not actually opening emails--just using reading pane. However, I do not like this and having to reload outlook after every email I deal with is not productive. Waiting for a solution...

suggestions, Apr 8, 2017
  3. Suggestions for email service on E71

e61drc, is this with the nokia email beta (which is only free until it hits 1.0) or can i do this with the built in mail app? If so, could you explain me how to do it? Because when i created the account it configured itself...

fjleon---01, Apr 8, 2017
  4. Suggestions on services to disable?

TairikuOkami, Apr 8, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    Why not just disconnect from network?

lx07, Apr 8, 2017
  6. anonjwm Win User
    Depends what your goals are for doing this. Some big ones are on the "Black Viper’s Windows 10 Service Configurations" as mentioned above.

A big one I disable is Windows Search. Some other's are Windows Update, Update Orchestrator Service. (this will break windows from updating)

If you don't intend to use System Restore then disable Windows Backup and Volume Shadow Copy.

anonjwm, Apr 8, 2017
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    Disabling Windows services is risky with unpredictable results. The problem is that there is no complete list available anywhere that fully describes what each service does. Many do more than documented and unrelated things you would not expect. Incidentally, and contrary to frequent claims, setting a service start to "Manual" is NOT a safe alternative to disabling it. With this setting either an application or the system can start the service if it were needed. But you can't safely assume that this will actually happen.

LMiller7, Apr 8, 2017
  8. Sonya Win User

I have disconnected from the network, but I am still seeing outgoing data in tcpview and process explorer. I have disabled remote access remote desktop and all other unneeded services a million times but they still run in task manager.

blocked these things in Group Policy as well as in the registry but I still see sessions 2 and 3 while the pc is in use. I also have session "%sfrom%S" in event viewer along with !@#$. These things are not happening during inactive hours and not one person I've asked for help is able to give me an explanation why suddenly while I'm busy designing my heart out there are new sessions started. Or even why these services like Telephony are somehow running in task manager.

I have ran every scan out there, I have reformatted the hard drive and done a clean install every single time windows pushes out an update for the last 14 months. The only thing that has actually worked to stop "remote access" "remote access connection manager" and telephony from popping up in my task manager; this last install was after purchasing an AMD graphics card and getting rid of my nvidia card.

Anyway, I just want to be able to create my art, own my OWN intellectual property and not have to worry that some software has turned my pc into a server or virtual machine.

Sonya, Apr 8, 2017
  9. anonjwm Win User
    I was expecting this. Haha. You probably don't advise of deleting Cortana, Windows Feedback, or Contact Support either.

anonjwm, Apr 8, 2017
  10. anonjwm Win User
    Spybot Anti-Beacon may interest you. Which you can uninstall after you apply the changes and can also revert back if desired.

anonjwm, Apr 8, 2017
  11. Sonya Win User
    Ty, I will definitely give it a shot, has to be easier than googling every single service name and finding absolutely nothing useful in my endeavor.

Sonya, Apr 8, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    That sounds impossible.. and you have a desktop, so presumably no Wifi. Presumably you pulled your ethernet connection from your PC, which should surely be enough.

Why not keep your project files in an encrypted area? Disconnect while working on them, close access to that area and carry on. The only thing someone could copy usefully then would be any temporary files. So you could run Ccleaner before reconnecting.

E.g. Truecrypt or its successors.

Please beware that using Spybot Anti-Beacon and similar can give rise to puzzling
    'Some settings are managed by your organisation' in red in various places in Settings, and some things being disabled.

That is aimed at supposed MS spying- things reporting to MS. So would not be likely to stop other nefarious activities.

dalchina, Apr 8, 2017
  13. anonjwm Win User

anonjwm, Apr 8, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    There's nothing whatsoever in that first video relevant to the issue. I've not watched the others.

dalchina, Apr 8, 2017
  15. anonjwm Win User
    The 2nd video, is relevant to the services, which are at the end.

But again, if you prefer, the black viper list is great..

anonjwm, Apr 8, 2017
Thema:

1. Suggestions on services to disable? - Similar Threads - Suggestions services disable

2. Disable all the annoying stuff and suggestions!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable all the annoying stuff and suggestions!: First of all, I don't think Microsoft promoting their own programs in their own os should be called advertisment because it's not third-party. Call it whatever you wanna. Remove various messages from the lockscreen. Settings -> Personaliztion -> Lockscreen -> disable...
  3. Services disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Services disabled: I have a Dell Alienware Aurora 13. I have had instability issues and 3 crashes since I owned it. Recently when I went to start some programs that had worked in the past i discovered that they plus many others were disabled in the services list. Why would this happen? i had...
  4. Services disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Services disabled: I have a Dell Alienware Aurora 13. I have had instability issues and 3 crashes since I owned it. Recently when I went to start some programs that had worked in the past i discovered that they plus many others were disabled in the services list. Why would this happen? i had...
  5. Disabling WaasMedic Service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disabling WaasMedic Service: Whenever i start up my laptop, it is unusable / irresponsive for at least 15 minutes or so. If i manage to open the task manager in that time span, it's always the WaasMedic service, no exceptions. I've searched on this forum for advice on how do stop / disable that service,...
  6. Disabled services fix

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabled services fix: I think this is a fairly common problem but I haven't found a fix. For some unknow reason several services set them selves to disabled, such as windows updates, search, storage and more. Despite setting them back to automatic when my system restarts they all return back...
  7. What services to disable?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What services to disable?: [ATTACH] Here's screenshots of my services list, what to disable? https://preview.redd.it/7ctbbbcdvts41.png?width=573&format=png&auto=webp&s=55b3e32f79e5eaeaa085ccc8eb9d331c31f97d20...
  8. Suggestion to improve/speed up costumer service

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Suggestion to improve/speed up costumer service: Instead of have all the links that bring you to more links that eventually lead to numbers that don't even work just put one link that says "would you like to talk to an actual person?" and then they click on it and its a picture of a giant middle finger....
  9. Disable Services

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Services: Hi, I wanna disable some services because I want & I have to do so. Just to be on the safe side, I need your comments if these are safe and conflict free? If you're on lack of sure information on each one, please don't increase your post counts :) --- 1 AJRouter - AllJoyn...
  10. Advise on disabling services

in Windows 10 Support
    Advise on disabling services: Hi, I made this script to disable unnecessary services on my system but I'm sure there are some services I'm disabling by mistake which should not be disabled since it causes my Network and VPN not working. I know list is huge but maybe someone wants to take a look and find...